RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always found that the environments are different.
Once you start seeing those tyre going red it is time to go a little bit easier into the corners. And once those start to cook they will continue until burnt out. A slight skid can turn into a red tyre which you have problems trying to get cool again because all he wants to do once red is go even redder.:(:mad:

Yes but I did only few laps and all tires were still about 95 % white so the tires were not very worn, still issues started after 3 or 4 laps. In slow corners I tried to be as carefully as possible but no can do, this same didn't happened during practice or qualy. As said I did all my practices without any issues, tested soft and hard I did few 20 and 30 min stints.

I didn't used your setup even it was very fast because in the qualy I did much faster lap with my own setup, so I choose my own setup for the race. My mistake again??? I never learn...And I didn't checked the race track temp as Silverstone is not locate in very hot area, Abu Dhabi is different case.

And yeah, I believe that Leaderboard fits me better so I'll go back there. Now my steering wheel calibration is fixed and missing speed found so it could be more fun now, see you!

Maybe it was the hard tyre, I don't know. I went with hard-hard, because I wasn't sure the softs will last long enough.
I started with soft, my plan was 11 or 12 laps with soft and then two 18 laps stints with hard, so I had 2 stop strategy. I was really angry when problems started as I didn't understand what happened for the rear tire grip.

Maybe I learn this some day or not. I had similar case with iRacing about 3 years ago. Practice server track temp was 20 celcius, I was one of the fastests. Then Qualy server track temp was 30 celcius and no can do, I lost 3-4 seconds from my laptime and didn't understand what was happened, they told me later. And then Race server temp was again 20 celcius. So those guys who knew the difference they changed tyre pressure for the qualy and did normal laptimes, it was so easy fix if you knew what to do.

I can't understand this kind of things in Racing Club, how in hell track temperature can change so much between different sessions? Is it random and you must check every time as pro drivers or what? Something happened yesterday and still do not understand what went wrong.

Last edited:
How many pit stops did people make?

I couldn't get many laps out of soft compounds and hard compound were way off pace.

I went with the softs and stopped twice and also refuelled each time (though took way too much fuel). I reduced the preload down to 10 and also the power to keep the back end under a bit of control and wasn't too bad until the tyres were flashing orange.

Was the Stream cancelled @Joseph Wright ?

I went with two stops for 69 liters and softs. With Calvyn's setup I went one more click harder in the front ARB, one softer in the rear and two clicks to the lower in the rear rebound.
Because I have no idea what I'm doing and it worked on another car once and it felt good so what the heck I do it on most?:whistling:

Was the Stream cancelled @Joseph Wright ?

I went with two stops for 69 liters and softs. With Calvyn's setup I went one more click harder in the front ARB, one softer in the rear and two clicks to the lower in the rear rebound.
Because I have no idea what I'm doing and it worked on another car once and it felt good so what the heck I do it on most?:whistling:
I would say by your description you would have promoted understeer. Using the anti-roll bar for the slow corners and the rebound for the mid to high-speed corners. Which may have affected your breaking but I don't suppose it would have been much if any at all as Silverstone is not very bumpy. Unless you're doing any breaking on the kerbs.
Of course, the adjustments you made will have made it easier to get into Village, Loop and a short shift out into Aintree.
But it may have caused to be a little bit more difficult into Maggots, Becketts and Chapel Curve etc.
But in saying that if you've got a smooth exit out of Aintree onto Wellington straight you can probably make up the time that you may have lost through Maggots Becketts Chapel Curve.
And it is all about finding an even balance throughout three deltas.
As in when you're too fast through one section it is most likely you're going to be to slow through another. And this will give an unwanted opportunity to be overtaken especially when it's in a delta zone where there is naturally overtaking opportunity.

Last edited:
I would say by your description you would have promoted understeer. Using the anti-roll bar for the slow corners and the rebound for the mid to high-speed corners. Which may have affected your breaking but I don't suppose it would have been much if any at all as Silverstone is not very bumpy. Unless you're doing any breaking on the kerbs.
Of course, the adjustments you made will have made it easier to get into Village, Loop and a short shift out into Aintree.
But it may have caused to be a little bit more difficult into Maggots, Becketts and Chapel Curve etc.
But in saying that if you've got a smooth exit out of Aintree onto Wellington Street you can probably make up the time that you may have lost through Maggots Becketts Chapel Curve.
And it is all about finding an even balance throughout three deltas.
As in when you're too fast through one section it is most likely you're going to be to slow through another. And this will give an unwanted opportunity to be overtaken especially when it's in a delta zone where there is naturally overtaking opportunity.
giphy.gif

Incidentally, my strategy for the race was 2 stops, soft tyres. Full tank giving crew chief to be more accurate in calculating fuel required to the end of the race when doing the second stop for tyres and a top-up of fuel. Making the alterations for fuel quantity during two laps before going into the pits. Which with my rough calculation should have been for safety reasons (not running out of fuel again) 15 L either way.

Even though I have no chance of winning, I would still like to see RD set up a series of 10+ races with the FR 90's with maybe a treat for the top 10 in points at the end.

On the subject of tires: I think Sector 3 needs to tweek the hard tire model for these cars. They seem to fall off the cliff after 10 laps whereas the softs seem to do 15 laps pretty easy.

I like these cars and some say like @Ross Garland they're his favourite and I agree with that up to a point. And that point is they desperately need medium tyres. And I would be saying for sure the same thing. Without the mediums, the choice is like hot and cold very difficult to calculate your strategy. You've got soft don't last very long can get hot, but quick. The hard tyre can slide all over the place and overheat, but last longer if you can keep the skidding, sliding and drifting under control but despite that slower in general.
But I suppose a medium tire would make soft and hard tyres redundant.:whistling:
But I don't think it would. Not for me.

Last edited:
Hi guys :D the "mandatory" post-race press now

Nice discussion above and to add on some of them - I felt I could go quicker than the laptime on the leaderboard so I am not sure about the differences you mentioned, as well in the previous Formula race at Spa we had, where I was comfortably running second quicker than the laptime I had at Leadeboard. Thank you for them, would love to try them out!

Just now saw the setups from @Calvyn White ! I tried to do one on my own and was quite happy with it, at least during one lap.

With 15min practice time left when I joined the server remembered that low & full fuel car don't always go together (obviously) so I started working on race setup for the time I had made adjustments again & then the qualifying started. So I just wanted to go & quickly start doing laps to get in rhythm which luckily I did by the end of it, but I forgot something. Post the quickest lap (although it was around +0.6 of my best) only to find out after the quals that my laps were driven with 45L of fuel due to mix in the setup changes that I was frequently doing during the practice - which was positive in a way because it meant I had more speed looking forward to the race. Made changes accordingly again for the race and went carefully in it, leaving lots of room for Kenwood to pass while I was still fighting with my car trying to find balance & it took me 2 laps when I started closing on in Kenwood only to get to eager & lose control while slow rotation corners in 1st gear which was stupid. Then coming from the back I run at some drivers that were braking on the apex where I'd go much faster so caught by surprise in try to avoid them spun for second time. Then for third time while trying to catch them and the hell with it! Escape button was my best option.

It were interesting 4-5 laps. Hope my next race will be better and will offer more so we can have more fun at the front, this time Kenwood I assume just went alone till the flag.

Also shame @Ross Garland & Calvyn couldn't make it.
Ross get well soon!

Here some video of my lap around Silverstone

This is not a fun comment.
() It seems that this time as I practiced only offline and the track condition was so much different so I had no grip with my setup. Sorry but this was not my day and I didn't enjoy driving today.
And I didn't had any issues when I practiced for this event, the car was super stable flat out but in the race I didn't have anything else but issues. Then I totally lost my mind :)
Not sure what was different today but it feels horrible to drive without any grip. Track surface was just like ice.
Weird one for me as well. Were you guys using traction control or something? My car was all over the place after a couple of laps. .
My guess is that this happens because the relation between temperature and grip is pretty much off (=completely unrealistic).
So if the temp is raised or lowered as example only 1 degree then the change in grip is much more than it would be in RL.
iRacing had the same problem a few years back when they introduced their socalled dynamic weather where both the conditions and the grip in the beginning changed completely unpredictable.
Hehe that was one of the reasons it was nicknamed "random" weather :sneaky:

My personal oppinion is that until Raceroom is able to establish a realistic relation between temperature and grip then it would be much better if the impact of temp change to grip was lower than in RL - because then people could use both their spended practice time and the resulting setups to something usefull (and joyfull :))

Hi guys :D the "mandatory" post-race press now

Nice discussion above and to add on some of them - I felt I could go quicker than the laptime on the leaderboard so I am not sure about the differences you mentioned, as well in the previous Formula race at Spa we had, where I was comfortably running second quicker than the laptime I had at Leadeboard. Thank you for them, would love to try them out!

See picture below, Raceroom Silverstone tracks are not so realistic and neither version are not correct. See the section between Vale and Club corners. Raceroom Leaderboard track is modern version with old Vale to Club, and the Historic version we used for our race have the modern Vale to Club section.

Historic version is few seconds faster even it has the new modern section because you can drive Vale to Club without braking. What a mess.

Vale_to_Club.png

Its a question of how you define the Silverstone "Historic" layout.
To the best of my knowledge iRacing has the only laserscanned version of the layout that could be called the "historic" version(2011).
Taken from your pic this version use the tiny grey connection between Vale and Club.
But also the now demolished grey connection between Abbey and Luffield.:unsure:
Raceroom use a poormans version of this "historic" track because they use the complete modern version but has included the mentioned tiny Vale-Club bit and named it the Historic Silverstone.:laugh:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: This video does show iRacings "real" Historic Silverstone track(2011).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 73 29.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 50 20.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 53 21.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 30 12.1%