Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Not for me it doesn't ;)

(Especially Steam forums could go die in a fire right now and nothing of even remote value would be lost.)
I like the steam forums. For sure there are also a lot of trolls but normally you find for the most questions a meaningful answer.

The situation with WRC 8 where absolutely no support forum exists is even worse.

Anyone has good(stable etc) Xbox one-version pad settings. Seriously can't drive with stock, and while I have tried to adjust, pad is still awful. Haven't yet tried with wheel(Fana CSW). One problems is that linearity setting is missing and I guess that game need one.

WRC 7 was ok'ish with pad(of course there were other problems, bad fps bad ffb etc), and Dirt Rally 2 is nice to drive with pad now(opposite to DR1 which was horrible).

Well, each to his own I guess. I gave up on Steam forums a long time ago and do not miss them in my life in the slightest. One of the worst places one can find himself on the internet when it comes to gaming.

Hello fellow simracers! I`ll just copy paste what i said earlier today....
I played dirt 1, felt the physics are way off. No weight to the cars, moon gravity, etc... All that was changed by RFPE and subsequently alt physics. Spent years waiting for DR2 and the overall improvements.
The day finally came! And oh boy was i disappointed. I loaded up Spain just to get the tarmac physics out of the way, but there was still a glimmer of hope it would be improved... (although seeing Jon play it before release it did seem way off). And sure enough it was crap. Soapy McSoaperson. Fine... Ill adjust the ffb. Wow. an amazing 4 options, of which 3 are broken... LOL. At the end i had to resort to ini tweaks just to get some customizability (nice one DR2).
Ok, lets go to gravel. Cars have weight(yaaaay), and, and, and.... thats it, nothing else improved. Touching the "kerbs" barely an inconvenience. So the bottom line was if I wanted to play a rally sim I had to load up RBR, or DIRT 1 with mods(BTW thanks for the great mod support Codies!). DR2 came in third.
The whole ffb issue was an topic in itself. Releasing a racing game with broken ffb LOLOLOLOLOLOL. As long as the bloom and ambient occlusion are there all is good i guess....
The bottom line is WRC8 driving is more in line with ac, rf2, iracing as a careful manipulation of the games physics and the car you are driving then DR2s reflex driving. In WRC8 i have to get ready for the turns, come in with the right amount of speed and momentum while in DR2 i can just wing it.
FFB is excellent, and has a ton of customisability options(I did change it quite a bit from the default settings), road noise is magnificent, There is so much information and road noise often changes many times throughout the stage. If i catch the "kerb" im in serious trouble. Jumps, or better to say landing are a story for itself, like getting thrown around by a bull... when the pendulum effect begins its no easy task to calm the car down.
For me RBR finally got its successor. I was never a fan of the WRC series because it was very lacking but WRC8 came out of nowhere and swept the dirt away. :D GL HF.
And dont forget Dirt 1 + RFPE + Alt physics for RFPE still very good.

EDIT: Just loaded up DR2 cause it seamed I was too hard on it.... After WRC8 I seem to have infinite grip. I go flat out on stages I havent played in months, reaction driving.
And lastly If you are reading this and own DR1 and never played it with RFPE and Alt Physics for RFPE 1.0 do yourself a favor and try it out!

Last edited:
2 times WRC2 pro champion and I get 3 contracts in WRC2 again?!
It's amazing what they have done in season mode! Totally disappointed! 2 times champion in WRC2 and they continue to offer me contracts in WRC2 !! I haven't been able to run the full game on WRC yet! for worse, it does not let us choose the Rally or the stretches as in WRC7 !! I am very angry and disappointed with the developers!

........ And lastly If you are reading this and own DR1 and never played it with RFPE and Alt Physics for RFPE 1.0 do yourself a favor and try it out!......

OK - I'll bite. What the heck is "RFPE" and "Alt Physics for RFPE 1.0" and where do I find them (links please)?

And re: WRC8's "magnificent" road noise - (your word, not mine) what are your sound settings, because I just don't hear what you're hearing?

Thanks!

t300
Overall 85%
Constant 100%
Periodic 100%
Spring 0%
Damper 100% (its the only game i use damper in) ill try to set it differently in game so i dont have to use it
Auto centre by the game

These are the settings i currently use and will probably change but for now im very pleased
Ill link you the mods for DR1 later, wife getting angry...

settings.jpg

EDIT

RFPE https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/dirt-rally-rfpe-mod.12130/
ALTERNATE PHYSICS FOR RFPE 1.0 https://www.racedepartment.com/down...-all-cars-increased-cg-height-and-more.15552/

Last edited:
Soory, i dont use an g29....

Another question.... why Shadowplay create such bad recording quality??
I use 2k resolution and following settings in Nvidia Experience:
nv.JPG
But when i watch the recorded video so it looks not so cool...
Make it worse when its uploaded to YT....

ye man, this happened to me, i had the 'more rare events perk' on the calender, i think this got me some WRC try outs and manufacturer relationship xp. i got offered 2 contracts by toyota(end season 2), then 1 rally in ford came along. but even after winning the season, hyundai still didnt offer a contract, the other 3 did ha

it could do with longer rallies as you progress through the seasons
a full WRC mode without the career, although i understand why they make us use the R5 1st as there alot of fun to drive, and something i wouldnt have bothered to drive if they hadnt made me, im glad they did

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 3 5.6%