Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
DR and DR2 has real stages, and pretty accurate too, but their location and names sometimes differ from reality. SLRE, I believe, had a mix of real stages and fantasy (with most being more or less real I believe). A while back, I did a comparison of Ouninpohja in DR and SLRE (it's not called Ouninpohja in DR).

The Kylotonn WRC series (so WRC5-8) features real super special stages (the annoying rallycross/gymkhana-like tracks). The actual rally stages, as already mentioned, are "inspired by" the real stages - they are basically a collection of some iconic spots on the real stages, connected by fantasy roads that attempt to "feel" as real as possible.

Thanks. The only reason I was considering WRC 8 was because I thought the real stages were real. I can put it on ignore now because of the console-style non-physics-based FFB (that the others also use).

You install a separate client, just like with Steam, and you can also put a shortcut on desktop for the game, which starts the client if it isn't running. Again, just like Steam.

If you make a direct shortcut to the game executable manually and/or just run the game executable without the client running, then it will just complain about the client not being available and return you to desktop.

Thanks, Martin.

One more question: Does the Epic Store Client conflict in any way with Steam? I ask because, on my system, Steam checks and updates its installation automatically upon system start up. I wouldn't want anything to screw it up.

And does the Epic client download automatically with the WRC 8 download? If not, where do I find it?

Thanks again.

Thanks. The only reason I was considering WRC 8 was because I thought the real stages were real. I can put it on ignore now because of the console-style non-physics-based FFB (that the others also use).
But I always emphasize that even though the stages aren't real, they tend to be very good, even great.

And as for FFB, the way it relies on canned effects is annoying, but there's parts of it that seem to be physics-based, so you can tweak it a lot. I wasn't exactly blown away with the default FFB settings, but now that I've spent some more time tweaking it, I like it noticeably better. Not ideal and kinda lifeless, and certainly nowhere near the great DR2 FFB, but not that bad either.

@newbert I have no problems running both Steam and Epic at the same time. I believe it also has an optional auto-update.

As for the game, once you purchase it in the store, it asks you if you want to install it right now (if I remember correctly). If not, then you can always just navigate to your Library in the Epic client later and install it from there. Again, just like Steam.

It really is like using Steam in most aspects, just using a different service with a different interface.

Funny enough, for me it's not ffb, it's the weird delay in steering that is a deal breaker... Delay in the initial turn, but suddently when counter steering, the delay goes away and car snaps violently.

@KittX Check if you don't have steering dead zone enabled. If I remember correctly, the game applied a 5% deadzone for me on steering by default for some reason.
Double checked on that. No deadzone. And weird that increasing sensivity doesn't reduce the lag.
Putting the saturation to the middle quite fixes that, but it's illogical... shame there is no any curve graph that would show how saturation works here.

Double checked on that. No deadzone. And weird that increasing sensivity doesn't reduce the lag.
Putting the saturation to the middle quite fixes that, but it's illogical... shame there is no any curve graph that would show how saturation works here.

I haven’t really noticed this lag you are having, my settings for a DD2 in game are:
Steering is:
Sensitivity = 0
Deadzone = 0
Saturation = 100
Rescale = Off

Then Steering Left and Right are the same except Rescale is On.

Don’t know why they have three separate steering axis but that’s what I have.

I believe the "Steering Left" and "Steering Right" are just alternatives to the "Steering" one, as in if you'd want to not use a single axis for steering in both directions or something like that. I don't have the left and right mapped at all and steering still works just fine.

getting 62-66 on 'very high' & 65-71 on 'high', get the stuttering no matter which settings I use, nvidea update made it worse for me when using ultra low latency

same for me...but fixed one week ago using these settings:
- in game use vsync standart and fullscreen mode.
- using NVIDIA profil inspector tools create a new profile for wrc 8 (pointing on wrc8.exe) with :
  • Frame Rate limiter set to "60 fps (Frame Rate Limiter v2)"
  • Maximum pre-render set to "1"
  • Vertical Sync set to "Force Off"
That make all the difference and now evertyhing is smooth without any stuttering.

Hope it will works for you.

Here is my FOv.bad
How do I set custom resolution?
@kevin ohara
To make things line up such as kerbs on side screens I've found setting my desktop screen resolution to 6059x1080 (right click on desktop & select screen resolution) then set the same resolution setting within the game. Doesn't stop the stretching on side screens just lines things up such as door pillars. I gave up on cockpit/dash views & use bonnet view instead.

same for me...but fixed one week ago using these settings:
- in game use vsync standart and fullscreen mode.
- using NVIDIA profil inspector tools create a new profile for wrc 8 (pointing on wrc8.exe) with :
  • Frame Rate limiter set to "60 fps (Frame Rate Limiter v2)"
  • Maximum pre-render set to "1"
  • Vertical Sync set to "Force Off"
That make all the difference and now evertyhing is smooth without any stuttering.

Hope it will works for you.
sadly makes no difference for me

thanks anyway

hi, turns out the stutter I have been getting isn't random,

after starting a stage I get a 2 stutters around a second apart,( this happens randomly sometime during the 1st minute), after that the stutters repeat exactly a minute apart until the stage is complete.

happens on every stage I have tried, also in test area (drove for 20 minutes, repeats exactly each minute)

any ideas welcome, i'm baffled by this one

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea