Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Is there fov adjustment when using the dash cam?

I'll be running triples too, and realise that there isn't 'proper' triple screen support, but lowering the fov to reduce the stretching on the side screens would be helpful.

There is an adjustment for FOV. I am on triples using bonnet camera as the dash I find difficult to use as shows less of the road ahead. I set desktop and in game resolution to 6059-1080 then fov at 20 - that may be -20. You can adjust camera height, forward/backwards plus set the angle. Not really enough adjustment to bring camera back in both cockpit & dash cameras view.

I am in no hurry to get this game right away. I too will wait till it comes to STEAM and also when it is on a sale price. I like some others just want one main controlling platform like STEAM to handle my games. I have no issues with who is selling the game right now.

Had a great time testing WRC8 with my small mige. The game is getting better and better for every time I try it. The ffb is great,the tracks are amazing and fun and now I also almost removed the stuttering.
Running 7680x1440 in 58-62fps with high graphics with my 1080ti.gpu is doing 99% all the time with basic overclock.

Worth the money,45euro is 5beers in the bar.
I too am running 7680x1440 tried all graphics settings but still get stuttering ( around every minute the screen freezes twice in quick succession), using a 2080TI

any suggestions ?

Thanks

I'd never even heard of the Epic Store before the current WRC 8 exclusivity situation, much less purchased anything from there --- so how does WRC 8 work after purchasing?

Do you have to install some kind of "Epic" software (as a shell of some kind) to run WRC 8? Or will WRC 8 run in "standalone" ny itself (ie - Just create a shortcut for it, dbl-click and drive)?

If you need Epic software, is it a separate download/installation? Or does it download/install automatically when downloading/installing WRC 8?

Sorry for the ignorant questions, but I'd like to know the situation before purchasing WRC 8!

Thanks!

Supports at least some DD wheels, like AccuForce, Fanatec Podiums and Leo Bodnar. Those are listed on the official page, not sure about OSW: https://www.wrcthegame.com/en/technical-support

GamerMuscle played it with a Fanatec DD, said it worked like a charm.

Triple screen support is similar as Dirt Rally 2.0, so stretched image. Not true support. HUD and menus center properly.

I had some small micro stutter on triples, even when Afterburner showed that I kept easily solid 60 fps (Vsync on, all settings maxed, 1080 Ti). I don't know if I had some background app causing it, latest drivers at least. VVV (the YouTube channel) played it on triples, and didn't complain

Edit: I heard from a friend that solution to triple screen stutters is using borderless window, Adaptive V-sync and the new "Low Latency Mode" on Ultra in Nvidia control panel.

Also be advised, Epic Games UI doesn't display your played time anywhere (doesn't display much, in general), so you need to count that 2 hours yourself, in case you want a refund

I have the stutter issue using a 2080ti & triples, tried the low latency etc, made it worst

I am in no hurry to get this game right away. I too will wait till it comes to STEAM and also when it is on a sale price. I like some others just want one main controlling platform like STEAM to handle my games. I have no issues with who is selling the game right now.

Well you’ll have to wait until September 2020...
By the time you are ready to buy the game on Steam its sequel will have been announced, together with improvements over 8! Of course if they still have an exclusive deal you can wait another year until Q4/21.

We are big boys, we can wait! :)

I'm confused. I thought WRC 8 had real stages (as the officially licensed product) and the other titles were stuck with fictional stages. Which has what?
DR and DR2 has real stages, and pretty accurate too, but their location and names sometimes differ from reality. SLRE, I believe, had a mix of real stages and fantasy (with most being more or less real I believe). A while back, I did a comparison of Ouninpohja in DR and SLRE (it's not called Ouninpohja in DR).

The Kylotonn WRC series (so WRC5-8) features real super special stages (the annoying rallycross/gymkhana-like tracks). The actual rally stages, as already mentioned, are "inspired by" the real stages - they are basically a collection of some iconic spots on the real stages, connected by fantasy roads that attempt to "feel" as real as possible.

Does this also apply to the dash cam view as well as the cockpit view?

It sounds like they're using 2 cameras to render the car and track individually, in a similar way to FPS games for the gun & environment.

strangely I will not ask if something moves for the graphic mods or for the sound, what interests me most is if someone will succeed in adjusting the strange sensitivity of the steering with that slack that annoys you in the high speeds that makes you crash!
as a RBR player I recognize that this WRC 8 is valid, but we are still not there with the steering wheel controls.:roflmao:
I hope it will be possible to better adjust this "continuous drift" type floating effect.
I have a G25 and I still can't find a correct setting of degrees of rotation on the PC....
;););)

You install a separate client, just like with Steam, and you can also put a shortcut on desktop for the game, which starts the client if it isn't running. Again, just like Steam.

If you make a direct shortcut to the game executable manually and/or just run the game executable without the client running, then it will just complain about the client not being available and return you to desktop.

I too am running 7680x1440 tried all graphics settings but still get stuttering ( around every minute the screen freezes twice in quick succession), using a 2080TI

any suggestions ?

any suggestions ?

Thanks
fps you have?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play