Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Why? Youre a customer, you want to play it,its only you cutting off your nose to spite your face
I really dont understand this almost virtue signal of a thing,

I bought it, and im fine, no little japanese girl with long black hair has killed me, no wierd "fate" things have befallen me.....i just.....have a game i wanted....and i can play it....

As i always say, you do you, of course.... But this just seems like youre wanting to look like youre waving a banner of some sort or....i dont know

I did the same with the new rebel galaxy game, and sinking city too.. and am thoroughly happy.
I am somewhere in the middle, I dont want to buy from Epic, but I will if the price is right, for the right game. WRC 8 is close to that at $30.00. That gives me 11 days to think about it.
My issue concerns longevity. I trust that Steam will be here in five years, I do not have that confidence with Epic.

Epic Games is the one that made Fortnite (= lot of $$$). I think they'll be around.

But the UI is very very barebones. Doesn't even display your play time, so when you are about to refund, better remember how long you played so far. There's no forums, so people discuss games and technical issues on Steam forums (Lol). So, good to have Steam page for your game, even if you're selling in Epic store (and Steam is used shamelessly for advertising and visibility, like WRC8 did)

And I dislike having multiple DRM launchers on my PC. I already have Steam, Origin, Microsoft Store, Oculus interface and UPlay. Which already annoys me (Origin and Uplay especially, since they are garbo). Then there's the Blizzard's Battle.net launcher (which will have for example Cod 2019) and now Epic Games.

It's just not convenient to have all these launchers (when most of them suck, all except Steam while Steam is far from perfect too)

Then there's the fact, that Epic is paying for exclusives and forcing people to use their crappy UI to get some game (like Metro Exodus). Supporting it will cause it to thrive, and it's nowhere near the quality of Steam as a platform (or even Uplay or Origin, Epic games launcher is bottom of the barrel, functionality-wise) so dunno if it deserves support all things considering

But if I'd like WRC8 enough to buy it (I actually refunded) I wouldn't let that bother me too much

Last edited:
I just went back to PC after a long twelve-year stint as a console pleb. Used to do PC gaming in the nineties with floppy disks and the first CD-ROM games so all this PC DRM stuff is new to me.
I have a WRC 8 shortcut on my desktop that launches the game. I don't even see the Epic Store. Ditto with ACC on Steam. I just don't care. The game works.
Loving WRC 8 BTW.

Why? Youre a customer, you want to play it,its only you cutting off your nose to spite your face
I really dont understand this almost virtue signal of a thing,

I bought it, and im fine, no little japanese girl with long black hair has killed me, no wierd "fate" things have befallen me.....i just.....have a game i wanted....and i can play it....

As i always say, you do you, of course.... But this just seems like youre wanting to look like youre waving a banner of some sort or....i dont know

I did the same with the new rebel galaxy game, and sinking city too.. and am thoroughly happy.

I'm definitely not cutting off my nose to spite my face at all. I don't blindly support companies. A company needs to earn my business. WRC8 chosing to go Epic exclusive does nothing for me as a consumer, they made the move for themselves despite knowing they would lose customers. Steam is not perfect by any means, but Epic is anti-consumer with their exclusive deals and barebones store. It's a legitimate issue and a platform that again does nothing for me. Epic is not competing with Steam by providing a better product, they are trying to lure customers by putting games they are interested in behind their exclusive store.

People can disagree with me, and you can mock me by saying I am waving a banner, but at the end of the day I'm choosing as a consumer to avoid supporting businesses that are anticonsumer. That may be inconsequential to you, but I think it's foolish to throw money at companies that do nothing to earn my business. That applies to all things in life I purchase, not just video games.

I always laugh when people refuse to buy a game they want because it's on the Epic store. It's your loss. I also laugh at the fact that it's perfectly fine when Steam gets an exclusive, but oh no, no one else can get one! It's an outrage then! :rolleyes:

I always laugh when people refuse to buy a game they want because it's on the Epic store. It's your loss. I also laugh at the fact that it's perfectly fine when Steam gets an exclusive, but oh no, no one else can get one! It's an outrage then! :rolleyes:

Steam doesn't do exslusive deals like Epic does. You just come off as ignorant when you try to spew nonsense as fact.

The problem for me is the epic client is absolutely dogshit. It’s slow and clunky where it even needs time to maximise it before it starts to show the actual UI. The refunding process is tedious, with support sending emails in phishing looking emails.

Not to mention the awful security that they had, particularly in the early days where they were hacked a lot. I still receive emails trying to hack my worthless account till now. I don’t feel safe with this company and if I’m not wrong, they don’t even have 2 factor security till now.

Heck, they don’t even bother to provide local currency in my country because of their anti competitive behavior. I had to pay in USD which is much higher than the price I pay for games locally.

I don’t mind multiple clients. The issue is epic that felt extremely unprofessional with this half baked basic client. Thuggish too, with their behavior of buying up exclusives. Lastly, they don’t offer much value over other launchers.

There are other issues that some people had been talking about like it’s alkedgedly a Chinese spyware as epic is owned by Tencent, people getting banned for buying too many games, lack of features and all the other issues. It doesn’t concern me as much, to be honest, however, I won’t say Epic is an honest company.

Epic store safety and privacy is ****, so I won't buy anything from them. Also refunds might not work even if you have completed the requirements, launcher goes through all of you're files apparently, no offline gaming, slow and clunky launcher and many more problems

Had a great time testing WRC8 with my small mige. The game is getting better and better for every time I try it. The ffb is great,the tracks are amazing and fun and now I also almost removed the stuttering.
Running 7680x1440 in 58-62fps with high graphics with my 1080ti.gpu is doing 99% all the time with basic overclock.

Worth the money,45euro is 5beers in the bar.

I've encountered a lot more bugs and stability issues with the Xbox One version as the career progresses, I've made it to WRC2 so far.

- Game power off crashes the Xbox after the 5 Star Training Event, the event result was recorded on restart.
- Crew members lost after the crash/restart - I now have no meteorologists or engineers in the team and none have appeared since in recruitment. This loss included some crew members I had 'paid' for with in-game credits. It hasn't stopped progress completely but the loss of the meteorologists is tricky as I can't see the weather ahead for tyre choice.

I don't see any indication that the patch coming to PS4 will address these issues so it's a case of wait and see.

I like Steam because it centralizes all my games. I just don't want to have them spread all over the place in different stores, so I don't buy anything that's not available there. It's not because I'm obstinate, it's because I'm lazy and a bit OCD. Shame though, as I was mildly interested in this - but only mildly.
Totally agree, I hate having to use several different launchers to play different games, I'll wait till it comes out on Steam, but like others made mention my enthusiasm may have dipped by then or I may have simply forgotten all about it.

hello mate, iv just had a similar issue, go into logitech profiler and make sure the wheel is highlighted from the bottom right, for some reason mine was showing the keyboard which stopped WRC8 from seeing the wheel.... mad, but worked for me ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back