Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
How odd

I recently had a conversation with one of the Dirt rally-series developers (Physics). He said the series was never intended to be a simulation and uses a basic physics model that is designed to be accessible and fun for the casual player - period. Nothing wrong with that imo, just don't expect realistic handling.

He said WRC series physics are significantly more advanced.

How odd

I recently had a conversation with one of the Dirt rally-series developers (Physics). He said the series was never intended to be a simulation and uses a basic physics model that is designed to be accessible and fun for the casual player - period. Nothing wrong with that imo, just don't expect realistic handling.

He said WRC series physics are significantly more advanced.
I'm not suggesting either one is a simulation and I couldn't try WRC7 because of the lack of basic Windows HID-device support (supports my point far more than yours - haha!).:p:D

The stage design is something Codemasters can only dream about !

You do realise the stages in DR2 are real world stages? Not the made up guff in WRC.

It’s embarrassing and ridiculous that the official WRC game doesn’t have the real world stages. You wouldn’t get an F1 game with made up circuits.

The physics in that video look appalling too. Why does the car look impossible to slide about? And that co-driver too. Sounds like he should be flying a spitfire in WW2. Tally ho!

You do realise the stages in DR2 are real world stages? Not the made up guff in WRC.

It’s embarrassing and ridiculous that the official WRC game doesn’t have the real world stages. You wouldn’t get an F1 game with made up circuits.

The physics in that video look appalling too. Why does the car look impossible to slide about? And that co-driver too. Sounds like he should be flying a spitfire in WW2. Tally ho!

Try spelling BETA !
It's really not that hard !

If anything is embarrassing, ridiculous and totally unrealistic it's what Codemasters call barrel rolls !

It really doesn't get more arcade than that !

2:28 Mark :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Even if Codemasters had the most immersive stages in the world it wouldn't make much difference because even after +30 years (+Thirty YEARS) as developers their knowledge about FFB, and Road feel is non existent and pure :poop: !

We're talking about the most fundamental ingredients in a racing game/sim.
It's like a car manufacturer who has no clue on what tires is supposed to do !
Yes ! -It's really that bad.

And yet all the DR fans are preaching that Codemasters makes the best rally games on the planet and that they deserves the WRC licens for the game !
That is what I call pure comedy !

WRC & Dirt Rally are both Simcades and they share very poor damage models.
The main difference is that Dirt Rally 1& 2 totally lack proper FFB, Road Feel, Speed sense and modern WRC cars.

Mediocre stage design, Mickey Mouse colour scale and an incomplete calendar doesn't help either !

Circuit racing is one thing and stage racing a complete different thing !
Kylotonn is capturing the feel of the countries and stages which is an excellent idea IMO.

Arguing with Dirt Rally fanboys is like playing chess with a pigeon.
No matter how much you win, the pigeon will never understand that it has lost.

And yes I have both games and as a matter of fact I have had every single rally game/sim since the 1990's !

The only 2 still on my SSD is WRC 7 and RBR !

Go figure ! ;)

Last edited:
If anything is embarrassing, ridiculous and totally unrealistic it's what Codemasters call barrel rolls !
Go figure ! ;)
You know, actually... it's a kind of a funny story...
once me and my best buddy were driving really really fast on some really really bumpy country road and

point is, you know ...it can happen.
It happened before.

And yes I have both games and as a matter of fact I have had every single rally game/sim since the 1990's !

Then I would actually advise to act your age. You throw around fanboy comments as it suits you, when really, quite few around here are Codemaster-fans. Codemasters haven't exactly put themselves in glory many times the last decade.

Regardless, it is virtually impossible to attempt a discussion/"discussion" with you.

Then I would actually advise to act your age. You throw around fanboy comments as it suits you, when really, quite few around here are Codemaster-fans. Codemasters haven't exactly put themselves in glory many times the last decade.

Regardless, it is virtually impossible to attempt a discussion/"discussion" with you.

You're on my ignore list but it was fun to take a peak and see that you haven't changed in trying to be everybody's mommy !

Try spelling BETA !
It's really not that hard !

Even if Codemasters had the most immersive stages in the world it wouldn't make much difference because even after +30 years (+Thirty YEARS) as developers their knowledge about FFB, and Road feel is non existent and pure :poop: !

We're talking about the most fundamental ingredients in a racing game/sim.
It's like a car manufacturer who has no clue on what tires is supposed to do !
Yes ! -It's really that bad.

And yet all the DR fans are preaching that Codemasters makes the best rally games on the planet and that they deserves the WRC licens for the game !
That is what I call pure comedy !

WRC & Dirt Rally are both Simcades and they share very poor damage models.
The main difference is that Dirt Rally 1& 2 totally lack proper FFB, Road Feel, Speed sense and modern WRC cars.

Mediocre stage design, Mickey Mouse colour scale and an incomplete calendar doesn't help either !

Circuit racing is one thing and stage racing a complete different thing !
Kylotonn is capturing the feel of the countries and stages which is an excellent idea IMO.

Arguing with Dirt Rally fanboys is like playing chess with a pigeon.
No matter how much you win, the pigeon will never understand that it has lost.

The only 2 still on my SSD is WRC 7 and RBR !

Go figure ! ;)

I suggest you read the comments on the WRC Facebook page when they shared the video from Argentina. These people that are commenting saying how terrible it looks and sounds are the casual fan. Not Codemasters fans. Their comments say everything about just how badly the WRC is represented in the gaming market.

Everyone has their preferred games. I’m really enjoying the older cars in DR2. The Datsun 240Z and New Zealand is absolute driving perfection with manual and clutch. It’s simply one of the best driving experiences in a game I’ve ever had.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 42 8.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.4%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.5%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.1%