Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
You can pick and choose which mods you want to install :thumbsup:

What the mods do...

Physics Mods:
Increase the effect of gravity on the car.
Adjusts the cars angular momentum.
Reduce tyre friction.
Lower centre of gravity.

This slight increase in Gravity effects many characteristics of how the car handles, grips the surface, brakes, jumps, handles bumps, slides in turns, slides on the hand brake, wheel spins, crashes, spin offs etc.

You should now find you can cut corners and clip bumps without instantly flipping up the car, throw the car into corners and perform power slides better, use the gears and hand brake much more effectively to brake into corners and power through corners at speed sideways, 4 wheel power slides with lift off over steer.

There are now 2 new versions of this mod.

Physics Mod v2:
⦁ Gravity increase
⦁ Tyre Friction Reduced (to balance out the gravity increase)
⦁ Angular Momentum Reduced

Physics Mod v3:
⦁ Gravity increased
⦁ Tyre Friction Reduced
⦁ Angular Momentum Reduced
⦁ Centre of gravity lowered

The mods effect all cars in the game.
Each mod has 5 settings, 1 to 5, Weak to Strong
These different strengths apply ONLY to the gravity.

The idea behind the mods is that from watching WRC clips on YouTube and then watching the in game replays, In real life the cars have weight, susspension and tyres that keep the cars very much planted to the ground, something the game was not emulating very well. Just watch for example WRC2019 Finland, Spain, Germany clips on YouTube.

As everybody's imagination of how the cars should behave is different I made multiples of the mods, to give various results.
Try them all out to see if you like any of them.

No Intro Mod:
This Mod will replace the games intro movie files with dummy files so that the game will start up faster.

If you want to reinstall the movies the Mod installer has backed them up in the games WIN32\Movies_Backup folder. Simply copy the backups into the games WIN32\Moves folder, overwriting the dummy files.

Shader Patches Mod:

Tints Mod:
This will fix the in-car camera views.

Shadows Mod:
This will mod the spawn/blend distance of ground shadows for less noticeable pop in.
(work in progress)

Post Process Mod: (mods the games built in DOF and Blur)

⦁ 3 x Higher Quality Depth of Field.
⦁ 2 x Higher Quality Blur.

Menu Animations Mod:
This Mod will remove some of the menu animations making menu navigation faster.

Expanded Camera Adjustment Mod:
Installs a modified camera settings file.

⦁ Provides extra in game camera adjustments.

Higher Quality Graphics Mod:
Installs a modified graphics preset file.
Takes effect when using the Very High Graphics Preset in game.

Enhances the following:-

⦁ Shadow quality.
⦁ Particles quality.
⦁ Terrain quality.
⦁ Vegetation quality.
⦁ Spawn distance of objects.
⦁ Anisotropic quality.

Modified User Settings File Mod:
Installs a modified user settings file into your "documents/my games/WRC8" folder.
⦁ Disables RGB Shift (Chromatic aberration)
⦁ Disables background blur when in menus. (Blur slows the menu down)
⦁ Disables Dynamic Resolution (For 1:1 graphics quality)
⦁ Modifies various graphics settings.

ReShade 4 And My WRC8 Presets
This will install ReShade, Shaders and my WRC8 presets
into the games folder.

Once in game press:-

⦁ F10 to Reload Shaders.
⦁ F11 to enter the ReShade GUI.
⦁ F12 to enable / disable ReShade.
Page Up Page Down - Change Preset

When using my ReShade presets make sure in game settings are:

⦁ Anti-Aliasing FXAA & TAA ON
⦁ Colour Grading ON
⦁ Sharpen OFF

Last edited:
v1.1

Removed another loading screen from the game startup.
Added some info to the credits. :D

Remove Menu Animations Mod:

Removes some menu animations, making menu navigation, track, car, driver selection, options menu etc faster.

Last edited:
what is the option to go back to stock install after this mod has been installed? How is that done? Thank you for the mod.

In the Read Me.txt

Make a backup of the WRC8 game folder BEFORE you
install this mod file as this installer will modify the games
file structure. To restore the game you will need the backup.

To update the Game when patches are available delete all files in the WRC8 game folder. Copy your backup files into the games folder. Update the Game and then Run the Mod Installer file that you downloaded from www.racedepartment.com again.

Hi Newbert. I have G29 and the only way i can manipulate Degree of wheel rotation is with the "Logitech Gaming Software 9.02" >>>> https://www.techspot.com/downloads/1431-logitech-gaming-software.html the in-game degree of rotation in menus does not work at all and should be un-selectable.

one.JPG
two.JPG
three.JPG
three.five.JPG
four.JPG
five.JPG

PS wrc8 cockpit view of the wheel is no where close to even representing your real wheel other than moving the direction you turn but other than that it is NOT accurate.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that's the problem Bitto, you might have to bring your OS into the 21st century.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System: Windows® 7 64bits
Processor: Intel® i3 -2100 Or AMD FX-4350
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 650 2GB / ATI Radeon HD 5870 2GB
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Soundcard

I expect everything to work, :)

Yeah, me too having :rolleyes:an "Operating system from 14th century - W764" and everything works as smooth as butter so it must be something else.
Sorry if this isn't helpful at all but at least you can scratch that out.

Decided to give your mod a try in hopes that it would fix the car behavior while in the air, which I think we can all agree is a bit weird. Which it felt a lot better and more realistic whilst airborne but seems like the mod is adding too much grip. I ran a couple of stages and completely obliterated my PB. Now, while seeing your name rocket to the top of the leader boards is nice, it did leave me with a dirty feeling. You said that the gravity mod can be adjusted from 1-5, I installed with your recommendation of 3. How do I readjust this?
TBH, not sure if I want to get too used to this mod cause won't help when the esports events open up in January.

Well if you're able to play the game solo offline then I would have to imagine there's some kind of issue with your system communicating with their servers or something. Sucks the devs don't have a better way for people with problems to get them resolved. Sorry but using facebook to interact with your customers is a BAAAAAAAAAAAD idea.

seems like the mod is adding too much grip.

As for grip / gravity, Kylotonn's physics engine is set to have gravity of 9.81 meters per second squared which is correct in physics, this is assuming that the number 9.81 in the config file actually translates to earths gravity in the game engine.

Now, As you said we can tell that something does not feel / look right because the cars feel like they not being pulled down into the stage surfaces by the mass of the vehicle. They feel to light, to much body roll, jumps don't feel right and so on. I could make the cars heavier but this will alter cornering forces which do feel about right. By bumping the pull of gravity up very slightly we add mass and force in a downward direction, and therefore grip.

Listening to your feedback i have made a v2.0 of my mod (will upload soon) It has the same gravity settings in all mods, but i have altered the grip of the tyres and the centre of gravity of the cars to hopefully balance out the added gravity.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back