RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Onto the dreadful Mistral M530. Never driven this car before and I probably won't be driving it again.
In my opinion, there is some thing's wrong with the car. I'm no expert it's just my opinion.
Going into second will lock up the back wheels if you're not very very careful, likewise for first gear. It will not matter if you're in a straight line or not.
The brakes and I use the word loosely are on or off. Putting it down to 50-50 balance and 80% pressure does very little to help.
I cannot recommend this car like I said it's dreadful it is not right, it is broken. The ****ing thing seriously needs a looking at for the sake of the class of the car which is very low in numbers.
It is already inherently slow it doesn't need these problems as it is already 2 + seconds slower than the other two.

And because of this, I see no point in sharing my setup.
Like I said I'm no expert but I do recommend using one of the other two. Especially if you're looking for a bit more fun in your race.

Last edited:
View attachment 352810
Welcome to the R3E racing club! This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from rookies to the seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in! If you need any help the don't hesitate to ask on TeamSpeak... there's no such thing as a stupid question!

All premium members can sign up for this event. Sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge! Not a premium member yet but interested in racing with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate.

Racing Club Rules: Click here
Server and Teamspeak Password: Click here
Teamspeak Installation Guide: Click here
Incident Reporting: Click here

We highly recommend that you join us on
TeamSpeak, and that you use an app called Crew Chief.

Server Name: RaceDepartment.com EU - Saturday
Cars: Prototype P2 / GTR 3
Track: Road America

Saturday 07/03/20
Practice:
15:00 EDT / 20:00 UTC (30 minutes)
Qualifying: 15:30 EDT / 20:30 UTC (15 minutes)

Warmup 1: 15:45 EDT / 20:45 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 1: 15:50 EDT / 20:50 UTC (60 minutes) - Mandatory Pit Stop (minimum 2 tyres)

Entry List - 30 slots | P2: 3 / GTR 3: 0
  1. Ross Garland - ?? (Event Host)
  2. FeltHat - P2
  3. Bart Matyja - P2
  4. Steve Le Gallez - P2
  5. Free slot
  6. Free slot
  7. Free slot
  8. Free slot
  9. Free slot
  10. Free slot
  11. Free slot
  12. Free slot
  13. Free slot
  14. Free slot
  15. Free slot
  16. Free slot
  17. Free slot
  18. Free slot
  19. Free slot
  20. Free slot

UTP#5

sign me up

Thanks @Calvyn White I will tinker with the wheel and see what I can get out of it
Hi @Wilko Jones . It isn't just you that has some problems on this track with these cars! They are really a challenge so don't take it personally. I would advise looking at @Calvyn White first post for some tips on setting up the car to make it work better but more specifically the brake lock ups that occur on a regular basis going into corners. You may not feel it on your pedals depending on how sensitive they are but it is happening if your brake pressure is very high. Try adjusting that down a bit and see if it helps.
As far as driving on this course with these cars my advice would be to make sure you coast a bit before braking, brake earlier than you think is necessary and make sure you get a great run out of the tight turns onto the straights. In other words "in slow and out fast" which is good for most tracks but really works well on this track. I find myself constantly overdriving the twisty corners here and it really has a negative impact on lap times. Setups can certainly help but make sure you aren't overdriving. Hope that helps.
Take @Calvyn White 's detup on the DMD P20 and use the bumper or hood view to give you a better feel for the track and see if that helps get your braking points right. Don't try to go as fast as him (I can't really come close to him) but you will notice where he starts to brake and how fast he comes out of the corners. Lots of practice may be our only hope here!! :)

Make sure to turn on the racing line if you don't use it already because it really helps on this track. Gives good Brake points also which you can improve on as you get more time on the track but they are pretty close to right on.

Last edited:
@Calvyn White - Great Setup! I was having trouble getting the DMD P20 under control and your setup was miles better than anything I could come up with:thumbsup:
It really helped with the braking and corner exit which I was having so much trouble with. I did some tweaks to help my drivability but not much and it is the perfect base to work from. The Default setup just seems way off to me.
changed: Rear Dampers down 1 click on both rebound and bump. Increased front springs one click. Increased rear wing one click. And took the TC down to 45% (I could have used your TC2 but always forget to change it when racing :confused:)
With some better driving (thanks to more control) I was able to drop my lap time by close to a second. Thanks for the work and now I have to see if I can get up to your speed! My tweeks are in the setup below:

Attachments

• cwhite-dmd_p20-kg.svm
    7.1 KB · Views: 56
@Calvyn White - Great Setup! I was having trouble getting the DMD P20 under control and your setup was miles better than anything I could come up with:thumbsup:
It really helped with the braking and corner exit which I was having so much trouble with. I did some tweaks to help my drivability but not much and it is the perfect base to work from. The Default setup just seems way off to me.
changed: Rear Dampers down 1 click on both rebound and bump. Increased front springs one click. Increased rear wing one click. And took the TC down to 45% (I could have used your TC2 but always forget to change it when racing :confused:)
With some better driving (thanks to more control) I was able to drop my lap time by close to a second. Thanks for the work and now I have to see if I can get up to your speed! My tweeks are in the setup below:
Thank you.
By the looks of your adjustments, it was a little too much oversteer for your style. As for the traction control. I had it set that high for one particular corner and switched it back to preset two for everything else. You may want to consider this during the race as it does make quite a difference with tyre wear if that's a factor to be concerned.
I will be downloading your setup as and when the other half is finished with this bloody shopping. Oh, why oh why has this have anything to do with me?:roflmao::(
I'll certainly be giving it a go if I ever get home. :whistling:
Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hey guys does any of you produce a lil streamer for a fence watcher?.
I mean when you are racing Im beauty sleeping - but the next day some streaming of your offtrack racing (joke:roflmao:) would be fun to watch.
So anybody streaming?:thumbsup:

Notes

One final note, being in the faster class does not give you automatic track rights. Any driver on the same lap as you has every right to race as normal, including defending their position if they wish. If you are in the faster class and are coming up to lap a slower class, it is your responsibility to make the pass cleanly and safely. Do not force your way past as it'll just end in tears.
In. P2 please.

Question regarding the above: Is the blue flag considered a courtesy in that the driver in the slower vehicle is being made aware of faster traffic and should yield only when faster traffic is in position to make a safe pass?

I am wondering because I see many drivers get upset (not necessarily in here) when they are not immediately allowed to pass, or they try to force a pass in area(s) of the track that do not allow for passes (the Dipper on Bathurst comes readily to mind, or Forrest's Elbow).

Our rules require the car being passed to stay on line and maintain speed (as would be reasonable and prudent), yet many faster drivers think it is their right to pass as soon as the blue flag is waved; the slower driver must make way no matter where he/she is, no matter how much faster (or even slower!) the car behind is.

Our rules require the car being passed to stay on line and maintain speed (as would be reasonable and prudent), yet many faster drivers think it is their right to pass as soon as the blue flag is waved; the slower driver must make way no matter where he/she is, no matter how much faster (or even slower!) the car behind is.
Indeed, this attitude appears to be quite common which is the reason I've specifically made the notes above.

Question regarding the above: Is the blue flag considered a courtesy in that the driver in the slower vehicle is being made aware of faster traffic and should yield only when faster traffic is in position to make a safe pass?
Essentially yes. The blue flag lets slower cars know that faster cars are coming, and it's then up to that faster car to initiate the pass when it is safe and reasonable to do so. Only then should the slower car help out by lifting off the throttle if necessary. It's important that the slower car remains predictable... never brake and don't start swerving out of the way. Just hold steady and let the fast car go around... they have the speed and power to do so.

Obviously common sense plays a big part in all this, especially when it's a single-class race where the faster car won't have massive over-speed to play with. But the above is fine for this type of race.

David, if no one called it, I'll take the #05 DMD P20.

@Calvyn White I owe you a tremendous thanks, for both the suggestion to redo the FFB and the DMD tune you shared. I still have some kinks to work through, but the car is way more approachable than the stock setup, and I am able to feel when the car doesn't like what I'm trying to do. My practice sessons I went from luckily getting a 1:55 to knocking on a 1:54. Still off the pace, but much more competitive then hovering in the 1:57 range.

Last edited:
Indeed, this attitude appears to be quite common which is the reason I've specifically made the notes above.

Essentially yes. The blue flag lets slower cars know that faster cars are coming, and it's then up to that faster car to initiate the pass when it is safe and reasonable to do so. Only then should the slower car help out by lifting off the throttle if necessary. It's important that the slower car remains predictable... never brake and don't start swerving out of the way. Just hold steady and let the fast car go around... they have the speed and power to do so.

Obviously common sense plays a big part in all this, especially when it's a single-class race where the faster car won't have massive over-speed to play with. But the above is fine for this type of race.
Thank you for the clarification. Please, again, let me be clear: I have not had this issue with any of the current members, that I can recall, but this issue has come up in other races I have participated in.

My SOP when presented the blue flag is to see how far the approaching car is. If it is more than 1.5 seconds back I will continue to race at my normal pace. If I get to a part of the track that allows me to do so, and the other car is within safe passing range, I will continue until the faster car is along side, or thereabouts, then breathe on the gas to let them by safely.

I believe this is acceptable and safe, and does not unduly delay the faster driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back