RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we can ask any questions but I thought I would get mine in now so you can think about it lol. So, I'm not very fast (Faster than Kenny and Bruce though) and I accept my limitations but my main problem when racing with you online is pressure. I gain a few positions from the back and everything is fine until someone comes behind me and puts me under pressure. I know that is racing and the person is hoping I make a mistake which I nearly always do and it's starting to piss me off. I want to learn how to defend and block. If someone is going on the inside can I block them and how can i eradicate the mistakes which end up with me on the grass.

I know we can ask any questions but I thought I would get mine in now so you can think about it lol. So, I'm not very fast (Faster than Kenny and Bruce though) and I accept my limitations but my main problem when racing with you online is pressure. I gain a few positions from the back and everything is fine until someone comes behind me and puts me under pressure. I know that is racing and the person is hoping I make a mistake which I nearly always do and it's starting to piss me off. I want to learn how to defend and block. If someone is going on the inside can I block them and how can i eradicate the mistakes which end up with me on the grass.
I'll do my best to give you an answer for both your questions.

First off, when it comes to dealing with pressure from drivers that are behind you, the main thing is to try and maintain focus with what is ahead of you. You always want to be looking out for your braking points and making sure you hit them consistently. If you do that, you're already making it much more difficult for the person behind you to attempt an overtake. I've spoken to quite a few people about this who have the same issue, and it seems like the biggest problem is they get too focused on the person behind them. You should only be glancing into that rear view mirror every once in a while. What's important is that you get around the track as fast as you can,and that means you focus on your braking points and cornering. If constantly look back at the car behind, I guarantee you will make a mistake faster than you can blink. Dealing with pressure is all about remaining poised. If you stay calm and make a conscious effort to do those two things, you'll already be better under pressure.

Not to harp on anybody or anything, but I definitely notice some very odd behavior from some cars when I'm behind them. Like I said, focus on what is ahead, only changing focus when the person behind you does make a move.

As for defending, this is something you'll get better at with practice. There's a few things you're allowed to do when defending along with some rules. The first and number one rule however is, you may make one move and one move only, reactionary moves or double moves are not allowed. As an example, say you're coming up to a right hand corner, and the driver behind you is close enough to make a move, you can move your car to the inside line before the corner and protect that line from the other driver. You are allowed to return to outside line if you wish, but you may only do so, so long as you keep one car width between you and the edge of the track. This is so you still allow some space to the attacking car otherwise this would be considered a double-move and therefore "blocking".

If someone is trying to pass you on a straight, you're allowed to use the complete width of the track for defending. If you notice the car behind is trying to make a move, you can drift your car to the lane which corresponds with the inside of the next corner, however, once again, once you've made this move, if you do return to your original line, you must still allow a full car width between you and the track so as to allow space for the attacking car.

These are just high-level basics, but I'd highly recommend reading this article that talks about attacking and defending techniques.

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/

Last edited:
I'll do my best to give you answer for both your questions.

First off, when it comes to dealing with pressure from drivers that are behind you, the main thing is to try and maintain focus with what is ahead of you. You always want to be looking out for your braking points and making sure you hit consistently. If you do that, you're already making it much more difficult for the person behind you to attempt an overtake. I've spoken to quite a few people about this who have the same issue, and it seems like the biggest problem is they get too focused on the person behind them. You should only be glancing into that rear view mirror every once in a while. What's important is that you get around the track as fast as you can,and that means you focus on your braking points and cornering. If constantly look back at the car behind, I guarantee you will make a mistake faster than you can blink. Dealing with pressure is all about remaining poised. If you stay calm and make a conscious effort to do those two things, you'll already be better under pressure.

Not to harp on anybody or anything, but I definitely notice some very odd behavior from some cars when I'm behind them. Like I said, focus on what is ahead, only changing focus when the person behind you does make a move.

As for defending, this is something you'll get better at with practice. There's a few things you're allowed to do when defending along with some rules. The first and number one rule however is, you may make one move and one move only, reactionary moves or double moves are not allowed. As an example, say you're coming up to a right hand corner, and the driver behind you is close enough to make a move, you can move your car to the inside line before the corner and protect that line from the other driver. You are allowed to return to outside line if you wish, but you may only do so, so long as you keep one car width between you and the edge of the track. This is so you still allow some space to the attacking car otherwise this would be considered a double-move and therefore "blocking".

If someone is trying to pass you on a straight, you're allowed to use the complete width of the track to defending. If you notice the car behind is trying to make a move, you can drift your car to the lane which corresponds with the inside of the next corner, however, once again, once you made this move, if you do return to your original line, you must still allow a full car width between you and the track so as to allow space for the attacking car.

These are just high-level basics, but I'd highly recommend reading this article that talks about attacking and defending techniques.

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/the-rules-of-racing/
Wow, no wonder you win every race. You're quite correct, I do focus on the guy behind but he's there pushing lol

I used to suffer too, I think it stems from playing Forza back in the day when being in front of anyone was a death sentence. In the big boy sims it's not as big an issue though the odd mirror check in hard braking zones has saved my bacon on occasion.

That pressure you're feeling is natural and one of the tools attackers will use to force an error. While attacking, if I don't see a braking zone or corner exit where I'm clearly faster than you I'll make sure I'm filling your mirrors while I wait for a safe opportunity to make a move. So, as an attacker the most frustrating thing is a guy looking ahead, driving his lines and hitting his brake points.

Of course, if that's not enough, you'll need to defend...sometimes. Defending will put a dent your lap times and you'll find the guy BEHIND the attacker may gain ground. Pick your battles.

Honestly, Defending is a bigger conversation; there's a lot to cover and a lot of nuance, for that reason it might be a topic better suited to TeamSpeak...and probably someone who's better at defending than me. I'd take a look at some of the replay files from previous club races and watch other people battling for position, it won't take long before you spot some clear tactics.

EDIT - one tip you can use straight away (since I gave you none above). If you're under pressure, pick up in the inside line in a braking zone and hold it throughout the corner. It'll get you round slower but the outside line is even slower so you essentially dictate the attackers pace and become extremely difficult to pass. There are counters to it though so do it on every corner and it won't be long before a smart attacker thinks his way round you.

Last edited:
I was just looking at this race.

Nah, not my thing. GT2s or I RIOT.

Bye, I'm out of here :p
giphy.gif

I used to suffer too, I think it stems from playing Forza back in the day when being in front of anyone was a death sentence. In the big boy sims it's not as big an issue though the odd mirror check in hard braking zones has saved my bacon on occasion.

That pressure you're feeling is natural and one of the tools attackers will use to force an error. While attacking, if I don't see a braking zone or corner exit where I'm clearly faster than you I'll make sure I'm filling your mirrors while I wait for a safe opportunity to make a move. So, as an attacker the most frustrating thing is a guy looking ahead, driving his lines and hitting his brake points.

Of course, if that's not enough, you'll need to defend...sometimes. Defending will put a dent your lap times and you'll find the guy BEHIND the attacker may gain ground. Pick your battles.

Honestly, Defending is a bigger conversation; there's a lot to cover and a lot of nuance, for that reason it might be a topic better suited to TeamSpeak...and probably someone who's better at defending than me. I'd take a look at some of the replay files from previous club races and watch other people battling for position, it won't take long before you spot some clear tactics.

EDIT - one tip you can use straight away (since I gave you none above). If you're under pressure, pick up in the inside line in a braking zone and hold it throughout the corner. It'll get you round slower but the outside line is even slower so you essentially dictate the attackers pace and become extremely difficult to pass. There are counters to it though so do it on every corner and it won't be long before a smart attacker thinks his way round you.
Attackers beware!

I just let people pass, I feel too bad for ruining their races ;D

I used to do this quite a lot. (still do sometimes) but if they are not lapping you and on same lap fighting for position. then that is part of the race. I have had some of the most fun trying to get past a driver fighting for many laps for 15th place. If I had been let by I would have had less fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Friday

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 50 54.3%