RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all good, hope i didn't ruin too many peoples race. They are tricky and once off line I was screwed, I kept waiting to press the loud pedal but obviously not long enough.

I wasn't quick but enjoyed a few battles in both races, the difference between cars makes for some great tactical battles at all levels.

Lol, yep! I looked in my mirror and just saw this corvette sideways, then pirouetting numerous times while travelling alongside! Hilarious. :D
Hahaha, that looked exactly as hilarious as I found it! :D :D One can almost see you in disbelief 'wtf?!?' ahahaa! And VR makes it even better! :laugh:

Last edited:
Really enjoyed both races again, thanks to all.

Something I am confused about though - I was expecting to be able to have a play with different engine maps following the December update, but I couldn't see anywhere to change maps in the setup pages. Am I missing something, or does the Dekon Monza not have different maps like the other cars do?

Yeah, I have no answer for that. Odd to include that on cars where it didnt exist. And now we cant find it in the setup.

One thing that was possible though was a turbo boost increase for short periods (kinda like an overtake button) feature on teh Capri. Is that modelled in the sim? I havent looked tbh.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed both races again, thanks to all.

Something I am confused about though - I was expecting to be able to have a play with different engine maps following the December update, but I couldn't see anywhere to change maps in the setup pages. Am I missing something, or does the Dekon Monza not have different maps like the other cars do?

I couldn't find engine map options.

I'm sure I had a battle with you in the first race, working out the tactics to pass and then keep you behind caused me a bit of a headache. I decided my best option was somewhere in the outer loop to give me the most distance before the two longer straights.

Yes absolutely, but the release notes mention engine maps for all Group 5 cars, and it's also in the spread sheet here.
As far as the spreadsheet goes, it's Alex's personal record which he's made public for info purposes. The latest update to physics included a lot more than just engine mapping, but you have to call it something short and convenient so it looks like he's chosen the most obvious feature. So all the Gr5's have been looked at and updated with the latest tech, but not all necessarily have multiple maps because they didn't in real life. (Though their existing single mapping has probably been updated as shown by Alex earlier in this thread.)

Is that modelled in the sim?
Not that I'm aware of, unless it's something they didn't mention in the patch notes. Could have done with a boost on the straights!

We need to be able to recreate the British touring car championship from the late 60s!
Big thumbs up to that! There's so much amazing classic content out there that it surprises me that we don't have more games like GT Legends, or at least proper DLCs in current sims. Some of the most popular mods are classic content too.

Is it because the licensing on old cars is difficult for some strange reason, or because the cars would be too "difficult" for the casual crowd and therefore "unpopular" in terms of sales numbers?

GT3 wins over classic cars unfortunately. We are the few
I'd put money on a sim based on classics doing well enough to justify being made. Sim racing communities like RD are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of numbers playing sims. Two-thirds of them lurk below the surface, perhaps reading but never commenting on forums. If you were to cut away the casual crowd and focus on the silent majority for once, I bet there would be more than enough wanting the above sim to make a healthy profit.

So in my view, the real issue isn't that we're the few, it's that game development in general these days is based on what the vocal minority wants.

Is it because the licensing on old cars is difficult for some strange reason, or because the cars would be too "difficult" for the casual crowd and therefore "unpopular" in terms of sales numbers?

It might be more difficult to trace the people who could give licence to some of the older cars. Generally I'd have thought the cost would be lower, would Ford really care about licence rights to the Anglia?

I'd imagine your second point is more likely, we're a fairly small niche of a small niche so it can't be very profitable making content biased toward us.

Really out of pace in both races, and for the last few weekends to be honest, (not even able to keep up with @Steve Le Gallez says it all... :sleep: Cheers mate you are in really good shape and fine humour too, as usual :):thumbsup:) Never found the right attitude to drive this Bemmer (the 2nd and 3rd gear hesitation... either to much "responsiveness" or to much lag....aaaaarrrggghh; and super understeer on power too:cautious::mad:)

Só I struggled in the middle pack just to have a very good late battle in R2 with @Dieter Bromvich, thanks mate, that saved the my evening :thumbsup:
To the fast guys in the Bemmer, @PurgerUK and @rustymoto, could you please share your setups for the race in name of science? Thanks

Fun races, like the others I also enjoy the "man vs. machine vs. track vs. the world" aspect of these classic beasts. I would not be upset if GT3's were upgraded by removing gears, adding bias-ply tires (or at least a radial with something resembling a sidewall), and eliminating all the downforce.

Managed to qualify well for race 1, and knew I had to get in front of @ko41 to have any chance, but couldn't manage it by T4. Held on reasonably well, but had a small mistake in T1, and then towards the end of the race completely looped it in T8. Lost a few places and managed to catch back up to @Jan Larsen who was keeping the beast of the corvette neat and tidy, esp. in T7 which I found to be the most difficult traction area (changing camber uphill) and ran out of laps to think of making a clean attempt. I think the last two corners I was hitting the walls so if the race hadn't ended I might have spun again!!!

Race 2 I had a good first few corners, finding a gap in T2 and using the BMW Power!!!!! to make the most of the back straight to move towards the front. Later on the chasing pack of @Goffik and @ko41 in the Capri's was too much to bear and once they caught up all it took was one slip up in T7 for them to pass.

With the BMW I found it really had to be chucked into the corners, knowing you'd have some understeer on entry and initial power, and then rely on wheelspin (just a little, not too much) to rotate the car and eventually propel it forwards. In slower corners I went for the stop-turn-go approach rather than sweeping lines. Aggressive downshifts also helped to unsettle the rear to get it to turn but it seems really balancing it on the power that was key to the 2nd half of every corner. That required 'odd' throttle inputs as you'd have to go full throttle to load up and spool the turbo (and expecting more initial understeer), and then back off to the 'new normal' once you transitioned to the turbo's output. Very little steering inputs at that point, just fine tuning, but the car is steered mostly by the rear wheels. The turbo spooling and rev's building with constant 60-70% throttle was almost the same as giving a slowly increasing input on an NA engine, so it was a matter of letting the ramping-up power do its thing without overdoing it. I'd say that is required in general for all of these Group 5's, it's just that right of the box, the default setup on the Capri has by far the best turn-in and composure on braking/downshifts so it feels less deadly than the others. Getting the most out of the Capri still needs the commitment to almost fly off the track at every corner, so well earned victories for @ko41 and @Goffik :thumbsup:

Going back to sample some modern cars after this week, I was crashing all over the place when using the same dramatic inputs the Group 5's could handle. Definitely different.

@Jopamir - My setup for the BMW is attached...I am not sure whether the changes helped or hindered, as I adapted to the quirks over the course of many laps.

Attachments

• 2021-01-04_01-12-06_bmw_320_turbo.svm
    7.4 KB · Views: 29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back