Vettel Blames Verstappen for Japanese Grand Prix Clash

I'd call it a racing incident but if it went beyond that, then Vettel has to take the blame. Max was clearly at fault for the Kimi contact prior.
Though he had the run, Vettel was never going to have the added traction to make that work against a RedBull car. Not there..and certainly not with the mid-corner speeds those cars exhibit.
That corner is an extremely quick one at almost 190 mph.
A better option would have been to take him on the approach to 130R.
MV was harvesting and most certainly would not have gotten it done before that turn.

Max Verstappen the 90 year grumpy old grandad trapped in the body of a 21 year old. Give it a rest your constant whining about being in great team fighting for podiums and wins is boring.

Charlie Whiting's opinions on Verstappen in this Autosport article.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139238/whiting-verstappen-clearly-deserved-penalty

Charlie Whiting said:
"It was quite clearly a penalty because Max went off the track and rejoined the track unsafely,"

"You are required to rejoin safely and Kimi was there and pushed him off the track. So I think that was a fairly straightforward one for the stewards."

And on the Vettel - Verstappen incident

Charlie Whiting said:
"Seb tried to get up the inside, and it was a reasonable move," added Whiting.

"He got halfway alongside and Max turned in - a bit of a classic really.

"Stewards don't normally give penalties unless they are sure that one driver was wholly or predominantly to blame.

"Opinions will vary on whether there was equal blame, but certainly no driver was predominantly to blame they felt."

And on China

Charlie Whiting said:
"In China he came charging down the inside into the hairpin, and almost T-boned Seb," he said.

"I don't think there was any similarity between those two.

"I haven't had a look at the one from China, but my recollection from that incident as it was a very clear case of causing a collision, and I think what Sebastian was doing was a genuine attempt to overtake.

"What Max was doing in China was opportunistic at best."

I voted Vettel to blame with a big but. We, as fans, want close racing so this happens. What I don’t understand is Vettel’s reaction that Verstappen should gave him more room. Sure he could done that but Verstappen isn’t there to make Vettels life easy.

We, as fans, want close racing so this happens.
Close racing with Verstappen is simply impossible; it always end up in tears.
Some say Vettel should've waited 'till the DRS-zone, but even then it goes wrong.
(Spa 2016, Baku & Monza 2018)
What I don’t understand is Vettel’s reaction that Verstappen should gave him more room. Sure he could done that but Verstappen isn’t there to make Vettels life easy.
I do understand his reaction. Vettel overtook several other drivers in that same turn and all went well. Verstappen can't stand to be overtaken and always try to 'close the door' at the last moment, just like Magnussen does. Sport in general is 'live and let live', something Verstappen hasn't learnt yet.
He already has 8 penalty points on his licence in the past 12 months;
that must tell something.

@muzikant:
Why don't you also disagree with @ears' post #125?
Facing facts is certainly your weak point.

Last edited:
Where did VET blame VER as is written in the headline ?

i have been twice sent an anonymous message with no explaination rejecting my question about this.

Is it not only bad journalism but bad moderation on this website as well ? I´m just asking not insisting. Communication is bringing people together, not communicating is bringing bad feelings amongst us. My patience has been tested now, but i am still open.

Where did VET blame VER as is written in the headline ?

i have been twice sent an anonymous message with no explaination rejecting my question about this.

Is it not only bad journalism but bad moderation on this website as well ? I´m just asking not insisting. Communication is bringing people together, not communicating is bringing bad feelings amongst us. My patience has been tested now, but i am still open.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...satian-vettel-blames-max-verstappen-for-crash

Seb you didn't have the inside.

If you have the inside om a corner, when you come together, your front wheel hits the other guy's front wheel.

If your front wheel hits the guy's engine cover, that should kinda be telling you that you didn't have the inside.
If you have a look at the replay their front wheels did touch. I initially thought it was Seb's fault but I think he got the pass done as Verstappen left the space then cut him off. Tyres definitely touch as they cause smoke.

If you have a look at the replay their front wheels did touch. I initially thought it was Seb's fault but I think he got the pass done as Verstappen left the space then cut him off. Tyres definitely touch as they cause smoke.

Ferrari front wing touched the wheel - doesn't matter either way as it was well alongside at that point. Was just an overoptimistic move on someone possibly unaware given how far back he came from, or historically unlikely to leave enough space, by someone who wasn't in full control of the car at the apex. Both at fault.

• Deleted member 379375

I thought 'having the inside line' was having a significant overlap not necessarily being level.
Also if a guy has to kerb on a high speed corner you probably haven't left enough space.

It was a high risk manure where you rely on the other driver to cooperate. Probably not a wise move given Verstappen's MO.

• Deleted member 379375

Or there wasn't enough space to begin with.
There was plenty of space to achieve a significant overlap. The space continued to close (as you would expect) , the problem was it closed to less than a cars width. Given a cars width we would have been treated to some wheel to wheel racing which would have been nice. Plus drivers safety wouldn't have been at such a risk.

There was plenty of space to achieve a significant overlap. The space continued to close (as you would expect) , the problem was it closed to less than a cars width. Given a cars width we would have been treated to some wheel to wheel racing which would have been nice. Plus drivers safety wouldn't have been at such a risk.

I think I'm starting to come around to that point of view, I must admit!

It's just nice to be able to have a civilised, objective conversation about it.

I guess the kids are back at school today.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.