Vettel Blames Verstappen for Japanese Grand Prix Clash

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Do4deS2XoAMC3p5.jpg
Having seen his championship challenge all but end in Japan, Sebastian Vettel places the blame for his early spin firmly at the foot of Red Bull driver Max Verstappen...

Sebastian Vettel had a race to forget at Suzuka today, finishing in an eventful sixth position that all but ended any realistic hopes of taking the 2018 World Championship back to Maranello. Vettel would be hampered right from the off, the Ferrari driver having to start from a disappointing ninth place following a wrong tyre choice in qualifying, leaving the German in fighting mood ahead of what would turn out to be a pivotal Grand Prix in the race for the 2018 World Championship.

Enjoying a strong start as rival Lewis Hamilton romped away in the lead, Vettel would soon find himself of the tail of a fierce Verstappen / Räikkönen duel, one where Verstappen would have himself an off track excursion that lead to contact with the second Ferrari, enough of a delay to allow Vettel past his team mate and into a position where the four time Champion would be able to make that ill fated move to pass the Red Bull man.

Enjoying a pace advantage, Vettel would make a move up the inside of Verstappen into the difficult Spoon Curve, contacting the Red Bull and spinning Vettel to the rear of the field and effectively out of contention for a race win in Japan.

Verstappen would escape the incident without losing a place, or receiving a penalty on top of the five second reprimand for contact with the second Ferrari, something that Vettel thinks was unjust as he firmly placed the blame at the foot of the 21-year-old Dutchman.

Following the conclusion of a Grand Prix that practically ended any further hopes of championship success, Vettel would go on to suggest the move was a legitimate one, spoilt by some unreasonable driving from his Red Bull rival:

"I was obviously pushing to get past but I wasn't desperate to get past," Vettel told Sky Sports F1.

"I knew he had a penalty but I also felt that we were faster. The gap was there but as soon as he saw me obviously he defended. But I had the inside.

"As soon as he realises somebody is close or next to him, he tries to - in my opinion - push when you shouldn't push anymore.

"Look at [the incident with] Kimi, [Verstappen]'s off the track and he comes back and if Kimi just drives on they'd collide.

"But it's not always right that the other guy has to move. We're all racing, the race is long."
Having only managed to recover to sixth position, Vettel must now avoid letting Hamilton out score him by more than eight points if he wants to prolong his 2018 championship battle.

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

I think his reaction is just a way to express his unfortunate second half of the season. You see it with Arrivabene yesterday, everyone is to blame except himself. That’s the main problem within SF imho. Too hotheaded, and nobody to temper that.

As where Mercedes seems to be an almost clinical operation. And Red Bull probably somewhere between since they have their fair share of tactical failures too.

And this time it’s like China the other way ‘round. But then without the penalty. And it was nice to see Verstappen react the same way Vettel did back then. Though Verstappen took a more appropriate position in China after the race imho (which was logical since it was a stupid move, just like Vettel today).

But let us remember they are all hotheads when things don’t go the way they would like. Take a look at Hamilton when he’s struggling. Easy to say crybaby. But in the end they all cringe when things don’t go to well for them.

But then again, I don’t like the bashing of drivers. They all make mistakes once in a while.

The focus on Vettel vs Verstappen incident is imho blown up a bit. Focus should be on Magnussen and Leclerc. That was, by far, the worst action in today’s race imo. Speaking of unsportsmanship-like behaviour. And that under braking for the first (high speed) corner. A topic about Magnussen vs Leclerc would be more justified imho.

Seb you didn't have the inside.

If you have the inside om a corner, when you come together, your front wheel hits the other guy's front wheel.

If your front wheel hits the guy's engine cover, that should kinda be telling you that you didn't have the inside.

FIA makes me laugh with that stupid penaltys. Max. Better next time to go straight ahead in that chicane... he try to do his best for not cutting the corner. Again FIA is ridicilous and not conscience in penaltys. Vettel, Magnussen deserve also a penalty .

FIA makes me laugh with that stupid penaltys. Max. Better next time to go straight ahead in that chicane... he try to do his best for not cutting the corner. Again FIA is ridicilous and not conscience in penaltys. Vettel, Magnussen deserve also a penalty .

Vettel and Magnussen didn't get penalties because they lost positions and it didn't involve other drivers. The consequences were enough of a penalty. Max cut into traffic with an unsafe re-entry to the track.

Vettel and Magnussen didn't get penalties because they lost positions and it didn't involve other drivers. The consequences were enough of a penalty. Max cut into traffic with an unsafe re-entry to the track.

Realy?
you say there are no other drivers involved. I thought Max was with Vettel. And vettel pushes Max off the track

But he rejoined unsafely after leaving the track. So he got a penalty.

First round of the race blok his
his brakes. and still doing his best not to cut off the bend. it does not matter to me anymore, Max has reached the maximum stage today. I get used to the people here who do not like Max. We will see the rest of the season. Amerca with the corners .... in qualification ... you can cut off the bend. (Raikonnen / Verstappen) But not in the race. FIA a lot of Monkey Rules :roflmao:

Realy?
you say there are no other drivers involved. I thought Max was with Vettel. And vettel pushes Max off the track

Let's end this. Look, we disagree. You think the others deserved a penalty too. All of RD probably knows. The race is over and what done is done. I think Vettel could've been given a penalty but the stewarts could see more and made a call. It's time to move on. Let's not try to make this into the next butt fumble.

Let's end this. Look, we disagree. You think the others deserved a penalty too. All of RD probably knows. The race is over and what done is done. I think Vettel could've been given a penalty but the stewarts could see more and made a call. It's time to move on. Let's not try to make this into the next butt fumble.

Yess agree

First round of the race blok his
his brakes. and still doing his best not to cut off the bend. it does not matter to me anymore, Max has reached the maximum stage today. I get used to the people here who do not like Max. We will see the rest of the season. Amerca with the corners .... in qualification ... you can cut off the bend. (Raikonnen / Verstappen) But not in the race. FIA a lot of Monkey Rules :roflmao:

You seem to just be ranting now.

He left the track because he made a mistake in defending his position. Once you leave the track you have no right to the racing line. The racing line belongs to Kimi because he kept to it.

So when Max rejoins, but he cuts across and causes Kimi to take avoiding action, then he has rejoined unsafely.

You seem to just be ranting now.

He left the track because he made a mistake in defending his position. Once you leave the track you have no right to the racing line. The racing line belongs to Kimi because he kept to it.

So when Max rejoins, but he cuts across and causes Kimi to take avoiding action, then he has rejoined unsafely.

let we stop. Verstappen deserve a penalty. no doubt. But FIA is not
conscience for all. that is my point.

Discussion for me clossed

"places the blame...." are very polarizing words. Fake news, because he doesnt blame Max.

The worst of journalism is turning words around just to have a headline. Well done.....

It is not the blame what it is... but if you give a penalty to Verstappen why not a penalty to Vettel or Magnussen. That is my point. FIA monkey rules.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back