RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Sorry, edited out my post as I've realized it's really not my place to speak and don't know how to delete posts here, if it's even possible.)

Last edited:
My race in one picture...

1o76f2.jpg

• Deleted member 6919

Going back To what Peter was saying about a pace lap, for me it should always happen in a multiclass race, every where else I've raced we created the pace lap, which means you can create a gap between the classes and the start of the race which makes the first few laps run alot smoother, standing starts with multiclass grid really doesn't work.

fun race guys! maybe next time we can do just GT3 :p

GT3 @ Hockenheimring GP :)

I feel your pain Ross. I had the exact same setup. Then I got a solid chair that wouldn't move but found that when I hit the brakes hard, my pedal set would slide away from me so I got some 2x4s and braced it against the wall. Then I found that it was tilting away, trying flip into the wall as I pressed on my upright pedalset. My cries of anguish finally wore on the boss enough that she let me get a sim chair and I've lived happily ever after :cool:.

I truly wish I had the room for one! I've found a static chair which is ok, and my pedals are braced against the wall. They can rotate slightly if I hit the throttle/clutch too hard because the back of G27 pedal base is slightly curved, which is annoying. I'm probably going to mount them to a panel of wood which slides snugly between the legs of the desk and up to the wall, meaning it will be impossible for them to move anywhere.

I honestly still don't understand what formation lap is supposed to solve. But that's maybe because I've only done a formation lap once so far, at Laguna Seca, and the start of the race seemed to be the exactly same mess it is without a formation lap, if not worse. I mean...you still end up packed close together at the start line, side by side, hurtling towards the first few turns...

I agree. I guess some people have had different experiences but in every race I've had with a formation lap it has made no difference to how clean (or rather, dirty) the opening lap has been. Nothing can stop people making stupid moves to try and win the race on lap 1 except respect for other drivers, and this issue is not restricted to multi-class events. (as we see in most other club races.) Besides, from what I've heard there were problems with silly moves all the way through this race, not just at the start.

Cheers for the fun race, guys :)

Start was a bit messy on my end, the P1 ahead of me didn't get off the line, forcing me to lift and pull to a side. That gave the other P2 behind me the better run. Being in the middle of a 3 wide on the way to turn 1 was intense, went well though. Dropped from 2nd in class to 5th, which then was 6th one corner later as @Jazz Forsberg made use of me having a poor exit of T5. Could work my way back to 3rd in the following laps, thanks to mistakes by the guys ahead.
Had a bit of a gap to @PurgerUK and @Kurupt CDN though, which I managed to close bit by bit, until I was at Steve's back. Overtaking proved to be difficult though, since even with slipstream I couldn't get a proper run on him. When he made a mistake in the 2nd chicane I managed to slip past. A few corners later I found myself in the class lead, since Dave got caught up in an incident.
Gap to the two of them was 3s and 10s respectively when I made my stop close to the end. 10l of fuel, and opted for some fresh tyres as well. Wasn't really necessary though, since they barely showed any wear. When I came out I found that the gap suddenly was over 20s, so I could relax a bit the final minutes, to take the class win in the end.

Lapping/being lapped went quite well for me, P1 weren't as aggressive as they had been in previous races. Although, from what I've seen, read, and heard on teamspeak, it seems I was lucky with that. Lapping the GT3 often was tough, since their laptimes weren't that far off from P2. I opted to wait for the straights to get past cleanly, as especially between della Roggia and Lesmos going for a move was bananas. Unlike previous multiclass races they always sticked to their lines, which made life so much easier.
Hope that I myself didn't cause any issues for anyone, from what I could see it all went well. Please let me know if it wasn't the case.

Top job commentating @Joseph Wright, really made the best of the situation, not having any overlay info at all. Just a bit of a shame that the P2 barely got mentioned, the few meters with me onboard through the Lesmos and Ascari to display track limits pretty much being it. But I guess with the technical issues it couldn't really be helped.

Cutting it short i was involved in 4 incidents which kind of ruined my race. 3 of the 4 took full responsibility for their mistake while 1 did not suggesting i should take another line

After the race I told you twice on TS that I made a wrong estimation of the situation. How is that not accepting responsibility? When suggesting that you could have taken a more open line, I was implying what you could have done from your end to avoid the incident. You didn't have to do it, but you could have. And yes, a different albeit slower line in the 2nd lesmo IS possible, because Magnus Stjenerby (sorry if I got the name spelling wrong) did it extremely courteously a few laps later.
I watched the replay and again, the blame is on me, I cocked up.
Apology for the foul language accepted.

Going back To what Peter was saying about a pace lap, for me it should always happen in a multiclass race, every where else I've raced we created the pace lap, which means you can create a gap between the classes and the start of the race which makes the first few laps run alot smoother, standing starts with multiclass grid really doesn't work.

I certainly believe your experience, but does that mean the faster cars get away from the slower cars during the formation lap or how does that work? I thought that on a formation lap, you're still supposed to keep the position you qualified in and stay close together, that's why there's a speed limit and no overtaking. So nothing really changes at the start line, except for the fact that the first few cars can get away faster because there's basically no green light (and there's potentially more chaos in mid-pack and at the back, because there's basically no green light). Do the slower classes just voluntarily stay back from the faster classes? Or the faster cars just get away from them? I still don't understand how that's supposed to work (and, more importantly, help) :unsure:

• Deleted member 6919

The pole guy for each class controls the pace, 2x2 you create a gap between each class of around 2/3 secs setting a pace lap pace, we use to use lets say 80kph, now you can either use the finish line to say green, or you set a point on track that class has to pass before the pole of each class can gun it or control the pace further, but it does take practice, or Sector 3 sort the rolling starts out by giving us control not the AI, or give us a formation lap which we again have control not the AI.

Look I don't mind standing starts even if it doesn't suit the cars on the grid, but the mind set has to be right from everyone about turn 1, but that will never be 100%, atleast on a multiclass race if there is a pile up lets say of the P1's hopefully it doesn't effect the rest of the fields coming from behind.

Personally I didn't think it was to bad last night, you just have to iron out some mistakes, for me the 1st multiclass race I had with RD I think it was pretty good all considering, some I've done else where, including iRacing which has a penalty system to try and deter this sort of thing happening still happens big time, so when it comes down to it, it's still the driver you have to get through to no matter what method you use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still sounds to me a lot like the drivers have to make a conscious choice to do all that, which is what they could've done with standing start as well. But again, I'm absolutely not questioning your experience.

• Deleted member 6919

Your right man it is alot of work, and most of it comes down to the mentality of the players, but RD has been going for years and from what I've seen so far do a excellent job, but you could tell by Kenny's slight tone he wasn't a happy bunny last night, and I'm guessing it's his sort of neck that is on the line, and he's such a nice guy we should sort this just for him, as I'm sure none of you guys here would disagree with..

Sorting it doesn't involve any complicated procedures which aren't yet built into the game. (Other sims have rolling starts and as I mentioned, they make zero difference in my own experience.) People need to respect each other. It's that simple. How many times do we say that races aren't won on the first lap? How many times does Kenny say "cold tyres, cold brakes" when a race starts? Yet it goes ignored by a few people that treat club racing like some high profile league where winning is everything and fairness and fun are secondary.

And let's be honest here, the vast majority of R3E drivers are very clean and fair. We all have moments where we accidentally cause an incident, but that's racing. But it's the small minority that are ignoring all the warnings and diving into unnecessarily risky overtakes at the start of every race which leads to a pile up. It's those stupid risks we need to eliminate, and that's down to driver mentality, not starting procedures.

Totally agree. There's really no reason not to use Crew Chief, and it could certainly help reduce unnecessary racing incidents. Given these are rookie events, perhaps it should be pushed like TeamSpeak.

I don't use crew cheif and I can count the number of racing incidents I've caused through poor situational awareness on one hand. I have mirrors and look left/right mapped to my wheel and after using both of those, if I'm still in doubt I leave a car width where I think an opponent might be. As an additional tool, yes but I genuinely don't think it's critical to a clean race.

...I know you'll be watching for my mistakes now. I NEVER make mistakes.

Yeah, like I said, it was kinda disheartening to hear Kenny criticize the P1 drivers after the race, but after watching the stream, I absolutely understood where he was coming from. There was probably a bit of bad luck involved in it as well (like in my case, where probably the most dangerous thing I've done the whole race happened to be featured on the stream quite prominently), but still, it really didn't paint a very flattering image of P1 drivers :(

I think the question isn't as much "is it necessary for a clean race" (it probably isn't) as it is "is it necessary for a clean race for a rookie" (I'd argue that it in most cases is - it makes you more aware of your surroundings and helps you learn some good habits).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 404 69.3%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 255 43.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 274 47.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 121 20.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 161 27.6%
Back