RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Racing etiquette question, what are the thoughts on letting lap cars know they are being lapped Via team speak? Not sure I'll ever be in that scenario again (today may have been a fluke).

I think it's fair to say that most of us slower drivers are very aware of not interfering with race leaders and make every effort not to do so and the faster drivers show respect to the slower ones.

Just my two cents on this one.
It is always the responsibility of the faster car to overtake safely.
There are no exceptions to this rule.
I noticed at Sonoma that during qualy the track got rather crowded so I asked Kenny to do a Rolling Start for qualy this time.
What this means is that everyone will be alone on the track during qualifying, so nobody gets held up.

But when it comes to the race itself, the rule always applies.
If you find yourself stuck behind a slower car going up the mountain, too f*cking bad.
You wait until a safe opportunity presents itself, no excuses, no exceptions.

Now, having said that, there are a few options for the lappee (is that actually a word?) to facilitate the overtaking.
Either stick to your line, and let the lapper pick the best time to overtake. Obviously this requires the lappee to be able to hold a steady and predictable line.
Or CLEARLY go off the racing line, and let the lapper through. Best option here is to use TS to let the lapper know this in advance; e.g. "I'll go wide in the next corner"
But with a track like Bathurst, be aware that there are only so many places where you can actually go off the racing-line safely. Please don't try to get out of anybodys way on the way down the mountain. Odds are you'll hit the wall, spin back out on track and ruin everybodys day. Instead, keep to your line, and let them pass you on the back-straight.
I know nobody wants to accidentally get in the way of a battle, but it is actually very simple.
If you have somebody behind you who wants to pass you, that is not your problem.
Concentrate on your driving instead of looking in your mirrors.

As for using TS for warnings.....(and again, this is just my opinion)
Well, using TS as a heads-up to let people know the leaders are approaching, that's fine.
Telling somebody "I'm coming up on your left", absolutely fine as well.
But if anyone ever uses it to say "I'm coming through, get out of my way", they can look forward to a colossal bollocking from yours truly. And if it keeps happening, I'll have absolutely no qualms about reporting anyone to the admins.
My apologies for the finger-wagging, and I doubt it'll ever be an issue.
But I've seen some pretty bad stuff happening in other clubs because people put competition over participation, and I simply won't allow that to happen in the R3E Club.
These are Club races, and as such are and always will be open to anyone no matter their skill-level.
Racing to win is fine and to be expected. Racing to win at all costs is NOT.
If winning is more important to you than having fun, I'd suggest one of the leagues instead.

And here endeth the sermon. :p

And just to lighten the mood a little after that, here's todays driving-tip.
While two wheels technically have less friction than four wheels, this is not necessarily faster. :D
Ooops......
Bathurst_zpspkws4pku.jpg

Just my two cents on this one.
It is always the responsibility of the faster car to overtake safely.
There are no exceptions to this rule.
I noticed at Sonoma that during qualy the track got rather crowded so I asked Kenny to do a Rolling Start for qualy this time.
What this means is that everyone will be alone on the track during qualifying, so nobody gets held up.

But when it comes to the race itself, the rule always applies.
If you find yourself stuck behind a slower car going up the mountain, too f*cking bad.
You wait until a safe opportunity presents itself, no excuses, no exceptions.

Now, having said that, there are a few options for the lappee (is that actually a word?) to facilitate the overtaking.
Either stick to your line, and let the lapper pick the best time to overtake. Obviously this requires the lappee to be able to hold a steady and predictable line.
Or CLEARLY go off the racing line, and let the lapper through. Best option here is to use TS to let the lapper know this in advance; e.g. "I'll go wide in the next corner"
But with a track like Bathurst, be aware that there are only so many places where you can actually go off the racing-line safely. Please don't try to get out of anybodys way on the way down the mountain. Odds are you'll hit the wall, spin back out on track and ruin everybodys day. Instead, keep to your line, and let them pass you on the back-straight.
I know nobody wants to accidentally get in the way of a battle, but it is actually very simple.
If you have somebody behind you who wants to pass you, that is not your problem.
Concentrate on your driving instead of looking in your mirrors.

As for using TS for warnings.....(and again, this is just my opinion)
Well, using TS as a heads-up to let people know the leaders are approaching, that's fine.
Telling somebody "I'm coming up on your left", absolutely fine as well.
But if anyone ever uses it to say "I'm coming through, get out of my way", they can look forward to a colossal bollocking from yours truly. And if it keeps happening, I'll have absolutely no qualms about reporting anyone to the admins.
My apologies for the finger-wagging, and I doubt it'll ever be an issue.
But I've seen some pretty bad stuff happening in other clubs because people put competition over participation, and I simply won't allow that to happen in the R3E Club.
These are Club races, and as such are and always will be open to anyone no matter their skill-level.
Racing to win is fine and to be expected. Racing to win at all costs is NOT.
If winning is more important to you than having fun, I'd suggest one of the leagues instead.

And here endeth the sermon. :p

Great post man, apologises if my question came across a douchey, definitely wasn't meant to sound like its all about winning. Been my first ever experience with proper online racing I really was just curious what the dos and donts are of ts and lapped cars.

At Zolder I really felt bad when I made life really hard on the 2nd place car as I didn't realise he was lapping me.

If I did anything wrong at Sonoma over TS definitely again really sorry, that's really the main reason I wanted to clarify, didn't want to sound like an arse hat letting lapee's know the leaders are coming up if its really not good racing etiquette to do so.

Sounds like we were all doing the right thing however with just the calling of blue flags, thanks to everyone who clarified :)

Looking forward to Bathurst :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sorry, chaps, missed all of qualifying and like last week my graphics adaptor crashed again during race and I ended up in barrier and toasting my engine. Infuriating...later

Great post man, apologises if my question came across a douchey, definitely wasn't meant to sound like its all about winning. Been my first ever experience with proper online racing I really was just curious what the dos and donts are of ts and lapped cars.
Nothing douchey about it. :)
Just so everybody knows where I stand, I'd much rather have people ask the same question a million times than have anyone in doubt.
There's no such thing as a dumb question.
Well okay, there IS such a thing as a dumb question, but that wasn't one of them. :D

Nothing douchey about it. :)
Just so everybody knows where I stand, I'd much rather have people ask the same question a million times than have anyone in doubt.
There's no such thing as a dumb question.
Well okay, there IS such a thing as a dumb question, but that wasn't one of them. :D

:thumbsup:

By the way are you still racing with a cast on man? Or have you gone all Ricky Bobby and got out the hacksaw? :D

Okay, what just happened?
Not only did I shave a full second off my PB, I also managed to hold Mr. C behind me for 3-4 laps..
What witchcraft is this? :confused: :D

Okay yes, he did eventually get past me.....Even alternate realities are grounded in the real world.
And let me tell you, there are very few things as demoralizing than driving balls-out, and seeing the time-difference getting inexorably smaller no matter what you do. :D
But man, that was fun!
We went side-by-side down the finish-straight, through T1 and all the way up to T2.
Unfortunately I was on the inside, and I wasn't sure I could hold it through T2 without crashing us both out, so I bowed out (gracefully, I might add. ;) )

But it turns out that working on the set-up actually worked this time. Got that Chevy running through Bathurst without the rear-end swinging through 80 degrees every turn.
Did lose it once in the down-hill esses, but other than that, that was probably the best run I've ever had on Mt Panorama.

And seeing as I can't get the GTR3s to do the same, I'm going to enjoy this moment until Sundays inevitable debacle. :roflmao:

Well, I left after 2 laps due to lag. I disappeared soon after the first corner, and then saw some blinking cars myself. I also crashed in to a car that had stopped, and when I tired to drive away he hit me out of nowhere, he didn't move on my screen but suddenly he hit me and I figured it was time to leave before I cause any more problem.

Anyways, seams i'm not alone with this issue as seen here:https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...sue-in-multiplayer-invisible-cars.3292/page-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 140 85.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 50 30.7%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 58 35.6%