RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off congratulations to Andrea for the championship win, well deserved. I think my lack of car engineering skills showed a little here. Usually I get by with playing with the wing and ARB settings to get a car balance I like but never really venture into changing camber, bump or height settings. After Andrea shared some of his settings from the first race I made some changes for the second and was definitely more competitive.
Regarding aggression it is a difficult balance to strike. I usually do ok if I qualify at the front but it is noticeable that I don't work my way through a field as quickly as similar paced drivers and I also don't do a lot in the way of defensive driving. Usually my technique is to get as close as possible and move around a bit and hope that the car in front makes a mistake concentrating on their mirrors. I certainly think that weaving to break tow is often taken too far, moving once or twice may be ok but often seeing people waving back and forth down a straight to the point that they are just blocking.
Approaching corners is difficult as even if there is no overlap if the car in front is not actively defending and starts wide to take the flattest line around the corner and someone else is offset from them and late brakes and aims for the apex then there is going to be a collision. The Otter web HUD helps here just to give you a bit more awareness, last night I had to abort a corner and brake a little deeper and turn later as I could see that Andrea was probably going to make a run but if I hadn't I honestly don't know who would have been at fault unless you would just call it a racing incident.

That's helpful to know about overtakes. I think most would agree the racing is clean and respectful on the whole. Just noobs like me still learning how to race well and where the limits are!
Yep. Nothing I said above was aimed at anyone here and wasn't suggesting that the standards of this club are dropping. Far from it. Having streamed and watched the majority of these races over the last few months, I've been very happy with the respect and generally high standard of racing on display. Reminding people is never a bad thing though... cold tyres, cold brakes! :p

I honestly don't know who would have been at fault unless you would just call it a racing incident.
I've never signed up to the idea today's society seems to cherish, that there is always one person to blame in any situation. And this isn't F1. :p Some incidents are very much 50/50, a few are even unavoidable due to the circumstances the drivers find themselves in through no deliberate effort of their own. So yeah, racing incidents are very much a thing as far as I'm concerned.

At the end of the day there will always be incidents, nothing anyone can do will eliminate them completely. Plus our clubs are very much a learning experience, so people will be exploring the limits of the car and their own abilities. But that's what the Golden Rule is for... it eliminates any potential gains from a deliberately careless move, applies a penalty to the offending driver, and somewhat reduces the frustration of the driver disadvantaged.

First a big congratulatons to mr Andrea for the series win, great driving as always.:notworthy: And also congrats to Kenwood for the win in the second race! :thumbsup:

Although I skipped Slovakia Ring I turned some laps in and could not get the car up to speed, even when doing "good" laps. Even with wing turned down all the way the lap times did not come close to the top guys (leaderboard). Didn't bother to investigate further since I wasn't going to join.

Road America was however not a race I was going to miss, but I soon realized the same thing, clean good laps but not fast. So, contradictory to what I have been saying - do not fiddle with setups, I now found myself in the setup screen. I discovered, as we talked about between races, that lowerig the car in the back is the "secret". That is the only way to get really good top speed from this car. Once I figured that out I started hotlapping, chasing Calvyn's time.

R1: Had a really intense battle with mr Crespi almost the whole race. I was probably a bit faster over one lap but Andrea is so good and was a bit faster (even lower rear than me as it turned out) on the straights so I could never escape. On the penultimate lap we came together slightly in T1 or T2 and that gave me the gap to secure the win. Checked the replay and I might have been a bit harsh closing the door there @Derek44 ... Sorry! :redface:

R2: Tried to make up places from starting last. Made contact with Patrick and unfortunately turned him around. Very sorry about that.:( Actually the replay looked a lot like me and Andrea's coming together in R1 but with the end result that the car in front (Patrick) was turned around. I waited for Patrick and form there on it was a chase. Unfortunately it was now my turn to look the wrong way as I was hit from behind but it was of course not on purpose and I got an appology straight away so no problem.

I must say that I am in love with this car! The handling is so good. The only thing it lacks is horse power.

Again, than you @Goffik for arranging this series! :thumbsup:

Congrats Andrea for the excelent win and congrats everyone for the amazing races we had together. Thanks.
I was so ill-prepared for this final weekend that even messed up with the fuel calculation in R1 (like a helpless noob - shame :giggle:) - thank you so much @Ingemar Petersson (Ingy) for pushing me to the finish line :thumbsup: . I owe you one;)
R2 heard about the ride height thing from Andrea and lowered it down a bit and I felt a bit faster in the straights (although I previously already had wing4, I kept losing speed for others in the straights...wt* was going on I wandered?? well, ride-height maybe sir?)
Had some close battle with @Robert Berggren, eventually touching each other (sorry mate) but I apologised and let him go (..he was faster anyway:D).
Never really felt at ease with this car, but it were very very nice races in the end with all of you guys.
Thank you so much all, and thank you Ross for organizing
Cheers

R2: Tried to make up places from starting last. Made contact with Patrick and unfortunately turned him around. Very sorry about that.:( Actually the replay looked a lot like me and Andrea's coming together in R1 but with the end result that the car in front (Patrick) was turned around. I waited for Patrick and form there on it was a chase. Unfortunately it was now my turn to look the wrong way as I was hit from behind but it was of course not on purpose and I got an appology straight away so no problem...

These things happen and there are no hard feelings on my part. Thanks for slowing down and letting me go past - even when I over-shot Canada Corner :redface: :laugh:. It was much appreciated.:)

Ironically, I nearly ran in to the back of you @ turn 5, during the early part of the first race. In my attempt to avoid a collision I ended up facing the wall, in possibly the worst place on the track:cry: (I think Andrea also came off there in race 2). Mid-way through the race, in my haste to catch up with the leaders, I spun the car @ Canada Corner. Unfortunately, I came to a stop just in time to watch Matt go past me for a third time:mad:. Given the battle I had with Matt a few laps earlier - a great piece of defending by Matt @ T5-8 - I don't know if he revelled in my mishap, I know I would've...:whistling:

As a relative newbie to RD Raceroom (not RD club racing), I was a really impressed by the standard of driving @ Zandvoort and I've seen nothing in my last two races to change my mind. As soon as my finances return to some sort of normality, I intend to invest a lot more time/money in Raceroom.

Congrats to the podium finishers for this race & the overall mini-series. And @Goffik, thanks for organising the races.

The v10 is probably the hardest to control, while v8 is probably the easiest (relatively). So I'm going v10 this week. Will update what number when I can get back to the rig

Mid-way through the race, in my haste to catch up with the leaders, I spun the car @ Canada Corner. Unfortunately, I came to a stop just in time to watch Matt go past me for a third time:mad:. Given the battle I had with Matt a few laps earlier - a great piece of defending by Matt @ T5-8 - I don't know if he revelled in my mishap, I know I would've...:whistling:

That's very kind, although you managed to get back on track a bit too quickly for my liking ;) I needed you to spin at least once more for me to have any chance of finishing ahead!

Group 5.jpg

Welcome to the R3E racing club! This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from rookies to the seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in! If you need any help the don't hesitate to ask on TeamSpeak... there's no such thing as a stupid question!

All premium members can sign up for this event. Sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge! Not a premium member yet but interested in racing with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate.

Racing Club Rules: Click here or Watch the Video Summary
Incident Reporting: Click here
Server Password: Click here
Discord Server:
Click here

We highly recommend that you join us on Discord and that you use an app called Crew Chief, which gives you an audio spotter and much more!

Server Name:
RaceDepartment.com EU - Saturday
Cars: Group 5
Track: Suzuka - Grand Prix

Saturday 18/07/20
Practice:
19:00 UTC (15 minutes)
Qualifying: 19:15 UTC (15 minutes)

Warmup: 19:30 UTC (5 minutes)
Race: 19:35 UTC (20 minutes)

Warmup: 20:00 UTC (5 minutes)
Race: 20:05 UTC (20 minutes) - Reverse Grid to 10 Places