Car Radar

Apps Car Radar 1.6

Login or Register an account to download this content
I found a typo! Sorry sorry :D Should be working now with new update. The problem happened when creating a new config file, so anyone updating from a previous version wouldn't have noticed. Sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you enjoy the app @DutchFarmer ! A confirmation if the app is working for you would be great!
Thank you for the quick update. Still had to remove the config.txt but after that it is working. Time to test it.

@russell, yeah, you read the code correctly. But since I have added everything I want to add ( i think!), I suppose I could add this option for you, since you're being nice and all :p Do you have a .png already that we could use? I had a quick look on google image but couldn't see anything.. Remember it needs to have alpha/transparency instead of white for the background
I'm pretty lazy when it comes to photoshop etc, hence why I just draw with code!
You are wonderful. And I think I like all of your current images. If interested, here's the image that I've been using in helicorsa along side Car Radar which uses a bit of a different take on the crosshair concept:
https://i.imgur.com/vJuhkMf.png

I tried this ages back and it had a bug in VR so I ignored it. Tried again today and the bug was still present so I had a look at the code, there are some things that really need fixing.

Firstly the bug:
In VR the app is drawn correctly in the left eye. However in the right it is drawn again at a static position on the lens (so as I look around the app is always in view). This give double vision and give head aches + nausea.

The cause:
The issue is render calls are done in the acUpdate thread. Removing these solves the double vision.

The knock on impacts:
Was surprised that drawing was being done in on acUpdate then realized that the app sets the acUpdate thread as the render callback this is wrong! The acUpdate thread should not contain any of the rendering calls it should only process data and update states needed by the app. Having the acUpdate function as the render callback means that this app is running its update loop far too often! Often twice per frame!!!
The render callbacks are called by the AC engine every frame so you can do smooth movements and updates. The acUpdate thread is called on each physics cycle. You should split your code into two functions; an actual function that has all the rendering calls and an acUpdate function that calls the AC data apis (getting the car positions etc). There is no point calling all of that in the render callback as it doesn't update every frame but each physics tick. This is why the acUpdate function and render callbacks are different things. Have a look at some other apps to see how it is done.

Yo, thank you for the explanation, that certainly makes it clearer for me! Someone just spotted this and I was working on changing the render call, I didn't really understand what was going on with that when I first made it. You can fix it for vr by just changing all my "acUpdate" to another name, "renderStuff"(the calculations don't need to be done on the physics loop, it's only visual representation anyway). But yeah, I'll be changing this for my next update, I've just been super busy lately but hopefully I can get stuff sorted soon for all the VR peeps. I'm constantly astonished with the interest in my little much around test app so thanks everyone for all the input! Hopefully we can finish this together! #modScene

Last edited:
How i can make it work? I installed it into core folder with folders match each other, but app didn't even load on app menu, also there is no app folder in my Documents/Assetto Corsa folder. Did i made a mistake somehow?

Yo, thank you for the explanation, that certainly makes it clearer for me! Someone just spotted this and I was working on changing the render call, I didn't really understand what was going on with that when I first made it. You can fix it for vr by just changing all my "acUpdate" to another name, "renderStuff"(the calculations don't need to be done on the physics loop, it's only visual representation anyway). But yeah, I'll be changing this for my next update, I've just been super busy lately but hopefully I can get stuff sorted soon for all the VR peeps. I'm constantly astonished with the interest in my little much around test app so thanks everyone for all the input! Hopefully we can finish this together! #modScene

Wuhuu! Love this app even with the eye glitch wich only apears sometimes.

I love this app! :inlove: It's one of those very rare apps / mods that is so good, you wonder why it wasn't part of AC out of the box :thumbsup:

I donated last week as I use it all the time and realised that:
A) I wouldn't want to use AC without it
B) I hadn't donated yet :redface:

Thanks again for all your hard work :)

Hey there - great app, bravo.

I am having a small issue where it has a pretty high hit on my VR performance causing my rift to drop in to ASW frequently, especially when pack racing.

Can you advise if there is any changes we can make to the app settings that may help with this, like reduce poll times etc?

Thanks again for a great app.

Perhaps you could try simple mode? It makes the cars rectangles instead of a mesh. Other things you could try are reducing the range? The slow down is due to the draw calls I believe, not the computing of the angles etc. If I disable only the drawing, it has no impact on fps. So, the less you need on screen, the better.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could try simple mode? It makes the cars rectangles instead of a mesh. Other things you could try are reducing the range? The slow down is due to the draw calls I believe, not the computing of the angles etc. If I disable only the drawing, it has no impact on fps. So, the less you need on screen, the better.

Thanks for the reply - I’ll give this a go.

Im gonna post a little update tomorrow for vr users. At work just now

Thanks again. A bunch of us have just noticed that we are all suffering from the same issue where our hardware is being severely under utilised yet the performance is pretty poor in VR.

I tried numerous things including all the obvious, driver uninstall/reinstall, ASW on/off etc etc but even changing our AC settings right down we get the same result.

Then we noticed if you uninstall the apps (not just switch them off) performance is way better. Car Radar seemed to be one of the biggest hits, hence my first post.

I’m not sure it’s your app or the way AC interacts with apps in general but it’s definitley an issue a few of us are seeing.

3 of us that were testing last night have 6700K,7600K and 9700K paired with 1080ti and a 2080ti and all seeing the same issue.

Note: the issue doesn’t occur on an empty track but add some AI or on a busy server and performance is severely affected.

Thanks again for the response.

Yup, it's because the interface was never designed to draw so many triangles as I'm making it do. I think it's to do with an old way of sending data to the gpu. I asked Stefano for help but he told me to **** off basically.. They were already working on acc by this time so there's no way they will go back and add support for this. Which is a shame, cos I could make it look way cooler if I could draw more stuff. It starts to be a bottleneck at around 100 triangles or so. Each car is using around ten triangles on non simple mode, and two on simple mode. I've tried different ways and amounts and bucket sizes etc of sending the triangles to render and not really got anywhere. And there seems to be very few apps which use the draw triangle stuff from the api, so I can't find any inspiration there. My ears are open if anyone knows anything about it!

Yup, it's because the interface was never designed to draw so many triangles as I'm making it do. I think it's to do with an old way of sending data to the gpu. I asked Stefano for help but he told me to **** off basically.. They were already working on acc by this time so there's no way they will go back and add support for this. Which is a shame, cos I could make it look way cooler if I could draw more stuff. It starts to be a bottleneck at around 100 triangles or so. Each car is using around ten triangles on non simple mode, and two on simple mode. I've tried different ways and amounts and bucket sizes etc of sending the triangles to render and not really got anywhere. And there seems to be very few apps which use the draw triangle stuff from the api, so I can't find any inspiration there. My ears are open if anyone knows anything about it!

The weird thing is, the app doesn’t even need to be enabled and drawing anything, just having it installed has a hit on the frame rate. Is that because as long as it’s installed AC sees it and basically has it running in the background whether you use it or not?

Oh, I never realised that... There is a line "on app enabled" that i thought I had used correctly. I'll look over this tomorrow, thanks for the feedback, it's always good having someone else checking stuff.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back