Automobilista 2 Racing Club event
Yesterdays clubrace was a pretty weird experience for me. No problems in practice session and qualifying. Car handling was fine. I have to admit, that my car setup was a little bit on the edge, but i made it to qualify in P2. :cool:

Then the first Race started and after a few corners i felt that my car drives completely different. The rear was loose as hell. The car handling went from manageable to quite undriveable.
It was like the track switched from rubbered-in to completely green. And me and my edgy car setup wasn't prepared for that.

So what was the result? Spin after spin after spin ..... :( Just call me King of the Waltz. :O_o:

For the 2nd race i decided to skip the qualifying to avoid upcoming trouble, if the track is "soapy" again.
But this time it was more grip and the car was back to driveable. Nevertheless i made a few mistakes too many and failed again in the race.

It was a pretty disappointing evening for me, and i'm still a little bit confused what has happened with the track conditions between qualifying and 1st race.:confused:

Despite my mistakes, it was one of the best races in AMS 2.

Thanks again, Goffik. And thanks to all drivers too.

Last edited:
Then the first Race started and after a few corners i felt that my car drives completely different. The rear was loose as hell. The car handling went from manageable to quite undriveable.
It was like the track switched from rubbered-in to completely green. And me and my edgy car setup wasn't prepared for that.
This seems to be a recurring theme in AMS 2. At first I thought it was just me, but then I noticed others reporting the same feeling which leads me to believe it's a genuine issue.

In practice I came out of the pits, straight up to speed, braked hard to T1, no issues. Same in qualy, where the track felt even more grippy overall. Then in the race, despite being at slower speed and not braking nearly as hard, the rear goes the moment I touch the brakes. For the rest of the race I'm tip-toeing around, trying different brake balance settings, and yet can't keep the rear settled no matter what. In the super-pole it felt fine again, yet in T1 of the race it was insta-spin. I bailed because at least one person had already careered into me while I rolled backwards, and I didn't want to ruin anyone else's race. Best to just disappear.

This "green track in the race" issue is getting on my nerves to be honest. It doesn't seem to happen in every race, but it does in many, and seems to affect some classes more than others. When you've spent a couple of hours getting the car feeling good in practice only to have to nurse it through 40 minutes of racing, it sucks the enjoyment out of it for me.

Last edited:
This seems to be a recurring theme in AMS 2. At first I thought it was just me, but then I noticed others reporting the same feeling which leads me to believe it's a genuine issue.

In practice I came out of the pits, straight up to speed, braked hard to T1, no issues. Same in qualy, where the track felt even more grippy overall. Then in the race, despite being at slower speed and not braking nearly as hard, the rear goes the moment I touch the brakes. For the rest of the race I'm tip-toeing around, trying different brake balance settings, and yet can't keep the rear settled no matter what. In the super-pole it felt fine again, yet in T1 of the race it was insta-spin. I bailed because at least one person had already careered into me while I rolled backwards, and I didn't want to ruin anyone else's race. Best to just disappear.

This "green track in the race" issue is getting on my nerves to be honest. It doesn't seem to happen in every race, but it does in many, and seems to affect some classes more than others. When you've spent a couple of hours getting the car feeling good in practice only to have to nurse it through 40 minutes of racing, it sucks the enjoyment out of it for me.
Yeah I agree. I was lucky in race one as Andrew and oneill made contact on last chicane so I got through to p1 and never sweat so much in my life trying to stay there. Less than 1 second over the finish line from p1 to P4.

Is it bad that I didn’t really notice the issue last night? I know that myself and Andrew were flat out all race 2 and lap times were only around .5 to 1 second off Q pace.
I thought that race 1 wasn’t a grippy as race two but maybe that was because I was following For the whole race. Maybe aero wash?

Is it bad that I didn’t really notice the issue last night? I know that myself and Andrew were flat out all race 2 and lap times were only around .5 to 1 second off Q pace.
I remember some races, where other drivers had the same low-grip-issue, but i didn't noticed anyhing special. Even with a low downforce setup.
It would be quite more weird, if this issue would not affect all drivers, but just a few.

Yes I agree that I don’t think it’s only some drivers.
I guess that maybe I was too busy mentally to notice the issue?
The track temp was about 108F in practice but I didn’t notice what it was in the races. Did you set your tyre selection manually to hard slicks?

Is it bad that I didn’t really notice the issue last night?
Not necessarily. It could be something that affects some but not others, though I would find that hard to believe given the nature of the issue. But it could also be the case that some drivers are just better at adapting to it than others. I mean, you are one of the fastest in this club by some margin, and if you're fighting throughout it might not have registered that you were driving slightly differently.

Edit: :ninja:'d by Dan. :p

Did you set your tyre selection manually to hard slicks?
Always. I don't trust automated systems, which is borne out by the fact tyre selection on some classes has been borked since the latest patch. ;)

Last edited:
Not necessarily. It could be something that affects some but not others, though I would find that hard to believe given the nature of the issue. But it could also be the case that some drivers are just better at adapting to it than others. I mean, you are one of the fastest in this club by some margin, and if you're fighting throughout it might not have registered that you were driving slightly differently.

Edit: :ninja:'d by Dan. :p

Always. I don't trust automated systems, which is borne out by the fact tyre selection on some classes has been borked since the latest patch. ;)
I actually got the tyre selection thingy from watching one of your streams, I don’t trust automation either!
I was running a modified setup that may have helped I guess, for what it’s worth I changed the following:
Reduced caster on fronts (No need for that amount!)
Stiffened roll bars to 150/50
Slightly reduced rear left pressure, increases right side to match hot pressures.
Lowered ride height by 2mm at front and 4 at rear
Lowered wing to 5
Softened the diff slightly (power and coast)
Added 0.3 degrees of rear toe in
Brake bias to 65

this helped me get a relatively stable flat car.
the default was roll/ oversteer city...

I’m free tonight if anyone wants to practice and try and note any differences in sessions?
I just tried your setup in an offline event vs the AI, same race settings as last night.

In practice I found your setup to be much too understeery for my taste... a difference in our driving styles I guess. I could get roughly the same lap times as before, but really had to work to get the car rotated. Then I advanced to the race session and... boom, oversteery mess. It was more "stable" in the race than my own setup was yesterday, but I was still oversteering unexpectedly even with warm tyres and nobody ruining my air flow.

So yeah, there is a definite degradation of track conditions between practice and race sessions. I think you're also right that it seems more obvious on certain cars which are already a little off balance by nature.

I've also checked the temps between sessions. Practice was 2-3 degrees cooler ambient than race, 1-2 degrees cooler track. Not enough to account for any noticeable difference in traction.

Mini Challenge.png

Welcome to the AMS 2 racing club! This is the place to be for relaxed, friendly racing and our events are open to everybody from complete rookies to seasoned pros. You will always find people around your level to battle with, so jump on in! If you need any help then please don't hesitate to ask here or on Discord... there's no such thing as a stupid question!

All premium members can sign up for this event. Sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge! Not a premium member yet but interested in racing with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate.

Racing Club Rules: Click here or Watch the Video Summary
Incident Reporting: Click here
Server Password: Click here
Discord Server:
Click here

We highly recommend that you join us on Discord and that you use an app called Crew Chief, which gives you an audio spotter and much more!

Server Name:
RaceDepartment Racing Club - EU
Class: Mini JCW UK
Track: Snetterton - 300

Tuesday 13/10/20
Practice:
19:00 UTC (30 minutes)
Qualifying 1: 19:30 UTC (15 minutes)
Race 1: 19:45 UTC (20 minutes)
Qualifying 2: 20:05 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 2: 20:10 UTC (20 minutes)

Mini Cooper - 26 Slots