The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

its a very basic tool that most off all does not change the object number, which is really what you want. Just crushing triangles does nothing if the 3000 tris car is still 300 subobjects
Could you not prep the model by manually deleting subobjects first? That's certainly straightforward for anyone with 3DSimED.

Could you not prep the model by manually deleting subobjects first? That's certainly straightforward for anyone with 3DSimED.
well sure, if you know what you're doing. Delete something wrong and the car may crash the sim.

In general doing LODs (any LODs, not necessarly according to Kunos specs) is a task the original modder should be doing, not the user via whatever tools. At least that's may opinion.

The date and time is set.
EFNaLrP.jpg

gYUFaZa.jpg

I wonder what it is...

Are there any Solitude circuit fans out there? I was doing a bit of research today, comparing satellite images with a topographic map I found from 1952, and was surprised at how much the road layout seems to have changed between then and now.

Also very surprised to discover that the rFactor / GPL version is wildly inaccurate in lots of areas, least of which appears to be the start/finish straight :confused:

2018 satellite image:
nYJnl5p.jpg

GPL / rFactor version, with start/finish straight following the modern road:
J6UPrWA.jpg

Satellite image with 1952 topo map overlay:
VkZZdbT.jpg

And again, but with 1950s track map overlay:
Wmxc9lD.jpg

It's quite clear where the track used to run, looking at the side roads and ghost image in the trees.

Even this topographic map from 1911 (before the wiggly road that follows the river was built) shows the S/F section quite clearly:
7VVUfVt.jpg

I find this stuff fascinating, and finding old maps like this makes it really hard not to attempt to make a more accurate version of the track for AC :unsure:

It was my second favourite GPL circuit (behind Sopheve). If you're interested in tackling it, I have a friend who may be able to help out with a huge amount of reference, possibly.

The date and time is set.
EFNaLrP.jpg

gYUFaZa.jpg

I wonder what it is...

You guys are going to love this.

getting into the finer details and really enjoying some proper modelling I must say. The external fencing around 1 half of Lime Rock Park has plenty trees and bushes growing through it. in parts its a solid green wall....so I had no idea how to accomplish it. so I took a few parts from the unique trees I made before and grew an amazing hedge that convincingly grows through the fencing... I think I nailed it for this section lol ¿?
3dmax basic render with test moc.

Y5PxUUn.jpg

NN90VEA.jpg

Last edited:
"

I'm working on a personal project. It's a fictional track just to see if I can manage this by myself. I'm struggling to get my head around the mapping of potential buildings.
ahh ok. well my building was I think mapped and modelled from scale drawings I made of the building, drawing each side view of it to scale. like this.
6sFJ78Rm.jpg

For blender there is addon called UV squares. You can square off uv unwrap to prevent stretching.
Than using gimp/pshop you can mask the real building photo whatever is you're texturing with perspective warp to fix distortion and than apply it to unwrap.

Also you can just do follow active quad to unwrap.

edit: NVM LilSki will give correct answer.

my answer is probably bs. (still learning)

Here is what UV map looks like for a building.
upload_2018-12-19_21-5-18.png

With UV map
upload_2018-12-19_21-6-15.png

Without UV map
upload_2018-12-19_21-6-57.png

There is no "right" way per say you just do your best to fit it in the space you have. This is a 2k texture and given the size and placement of the these buildings near the track it gets a large amount of texture space. Buildings further away that don't need as much detail can be much smaller in texture space and you can pack in more different structures.

Here is an example of more distant buildings. They are smaller and further away from the track so you can pack more in the 2k texture.

upload_2018-12-19_21-9-41.png

Are there any Solitude circuit fans out there? I was doing a bit of research today, comparing satellite images with a topographic map I found from 1952, and was surprised at how much the road layout seems to have changed between then and now.

I find this stuff fascinating, and finding old maps like this makes it really hard not to attempt to make a more accurate version of the track for AC :unsure:

Go for it!

My favourite track in GPL, a splendid mix between the Nordschleife and the Old Spa Francorchamps :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back