The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

elephant-in-the-room.jpg

To balance out my data trauma from yesterday I spent some time on the interior and some exterior bits today...

JbJEtjZ.png

xv38EXE.png

Straightened out the regular 850i front fascia.

nFb1t6F.png

Some work on the rearlights. By now I actually opted for separate parts so one frame which will resemble the outer black sealing and the line running through the lights horizontally and then separate rear light parts which would be upper left/right and lower left/right (trunklid and body parts) with insight reflectors. It actually is the easiest solution after trying to do it in one piece.

9LHxCKs.png

Some interior work, floor now integrated with the dash, center console and rear wheel well covers it's all one piece. Finished the front lower area and rear sidewall covers.

Hb0cmFJ.png

What's this? The part of the car all you yuppies put your elbow on while cruising downtown Manhattan in '89 :D.

Door panels!

0sY8CZ6.png

That's now waiting for door handle, air vent, leather inserts, leather storage space on bottom and a few buttons for windows and mirrors as well as the door lock pin.

JDjXQS5.png

That's one wide ass door.

i'm gonna ask the elephant in the room.
Did you get in touch with the author before ? :rolleyes:

Oh dear, lol people of racedepartment really don't enjoy simple mods of mods?....

I wouldn't release it without giving full credits to Stereo. And if he so much as whispered to take it down, I would have to lol. Currently getting in touch tho.

My question is, if a modder cannot make his own mods to start with, what's the problem with modding others content to learn more about the modding? Isn't that quite similar to how the first Shelby cobra was modded into AC because some people reverse engineered Kunos files?

Last edited:
Oh dear, lol people of racedepartment really don't enjoy simple mods of mods?....

I wouldn't release it without giving full credits to Stereo. And if he so much as whispered to take it down, I would have to lol. Currently getting in touch tho.

My question is, if a modder cannot make his own mods to start with, what's the problem with modding others content to learn more about the modding? Isn't that quite similar to how the first Shelby cobra was modded into AC because some people reverse engineered Kunos files?
i just asked a simple thing, common sense to me really, so your "lol people of racedepartment" is uncalled for :geek:
Mod as much as you want! Of course it's very welcome to play around and get to know what's what. Just a common decency to ask first if you want to base and publish things based on someone's work.

So sorry, what I mean was no directed at you, more hal4000 with his plain-as-day point-finger-and-laugh at the new guy trying to mod like us joke post which has no place here imo, and people laughing with him at it.

I have thought a bit about the release and came to the conclusion it is best to not release anything without asking for authors permission, if denied permission, there is nothing else to be done. No mod no release maybe I try with a different mod or give up, since I can't find many novice welcome tutorials here just running out of options here. Everyone already knows how to mod, ok, I let them do all the modding, no room for people like me ;)

Last edited:
Of course I don't have a problem with people modding mods to figure out how things work. That's why I don't bother with packing data.acd. And eg the stake-bed version of the F350 was made by someone else who also kindly uv-mapped a bunch of objects I'd skipped.

I don't really see the benefit of uploading this sort of thing though, when it's just fiddling around to see what's possible. As someone who reverse engineered Kunos stuff to release one of the first scratch-made mods ('14 Corvette DP) I didn't just stop at "Lotus Elise but with 500hp v8," I did the 3d modeling and helped with physics to produce a complete mod.

So starting up car tuner and giving some car a gazillion horses is called "modding" now?
Of course you can do that but I don't really think RD is the place for that. There's plenty of facebook groups who will be happy to host your "work". It's also quite disrespectful towards the author. This, of course when releasing it or posting utoob vids of it. You should just keep stuff like this to yourself, where it belongs. You don't want me laughing at you? Stop playing the clown. Just have a look at your video. You really think anybody here is going to take that serious?
Regards, Hal.

So starting up car tuner and giving some car a gazillion horses is called "modding" now?
Of course you can do that but I don't really think RD is the place for that. There's plenty of facebook groups who will be happy to host your "work". It's also quite disrespectful towards the author. This, of course when releasing it or posting utoob vids of it. You should just keep stuff like this to yourself, where it belongs. You don't want me laughing at you? Stop playing the clown. Just have a look at your video. You really think anybody here is going to take that serious?
Regards, Hal.
You can't tell me giving a car a brazillion horsepower was not the first thing you tried when starting to mod ;) I know I did. No need to get rude about it, he did not release anything.

So sorry, what I mean was no directed at you, more hal4000 with his plain-as-day point-finger-and-laugh at the new guy trying to mod like us joke post which has no place here imo, and people laughing with him at it.

I have thought a bit about the release and came to the conclusion it is best to not release anything without asking for authors permission, if denied permission, there is nothing else to be done. No mod no release maybe I try with a different mod or give up, since I can't find many novice welcome tutorials here just running out of options here. Everyone already knows how to mod, ok, I let them do all the modding, no room for people like me ;)

using someone's work was the key point here :)
if you have questions about modding, i (and we) will be glad to try and provide help in your quest. The "dumb question thread" is a good place, or in your own thread that you decide to create with a new project of yours.

If the model is missing, i have a few that needs work and could hand one to give you a base, if your goal is to create physics for a car from scratch.
Anyways, to each his own way to entertain himself, i see no harm in putting stupid amount of BHP in a car, i did too :p

I don't really see the benefit of uploading this sort of thing though, when it's just fiddling around to see what's possible. As someone who reverse engineered Kunos stuff to release one of the first scratch-made mods ('14 Corvette DP) I didn't just stop at "Lotus Elise but with 500hp v8," I did the 3d modeling and helped with physics to produce a complete mod.

"I don't really see the benefit of uploading this sort of thing though, when it's just fiddling around to see what's possible." I think a big part of the benefit is to be welcoming, open-minded learn and grow and have fun and to foster more of that type of community. But I can't explain it very well. I am not the best at explaining/communicating concepts without many words.

I think the point you are making are a "complete mod" or a "mod" is something that is more than just tweaking values in text files. Subjective. I think that maybe is a flawed way to see modding.

I can see the distaste for tweaking values but it is the definition of modding. Any change is a modification. If the author of original content does not like such specific mod of their work, can ask to take it down and the site staff can further bring this decision to fruition etc. What is the point whether the mod is a comparatively big or little change overall? Does it matter if they are both "quality" or "fun" or of some interest or value and? I want to see the opinion behind why smaller changes cannot be uploaded, and how it benefits modding as a whole.
Suppose someone has a different or unique take on a mod and wants to flesh it out eventually but needs to gauge interest by uploading it? Are variations not allowed? Only big enough variations with a common goal?

If you say "it will clutter up the feed where there should be more original content" well, I dunno about that being a bad thing, but ok then, make a new feed where "simple mods of mods" or something can exist but I see the benefits outweighing the cons all in all. Being, More traffic to the site, more mods for the game, more niches, more people modding surrounding the game lives longer and dies off slower?

I can see why some may not like it, but can see why some do. I see more benefits than cons.

I see if denying people to mod very simply it will seriously discourage a person to get into modding. I'm not sure what the goal is, but I know I prefer the current system of mods being uploaded, rated and the "quality mods" decided by the people getting voted to top rather than completely disallowing certain mods existing altogether(unless rule-breaking) and not giving them a chance to even get a use or rating by others.

Isn't modding just about having fun at the end? Or is it that prefer only original work or something that is distinctly different with xx amount of hours of work put in or something? How do you decide who qualifies as a novice modder or community member?

Do many modders not start out small? I think some do at least. Sure there are people that amazingly, somehow have the right combination of skill and work-ethic and straight up build everything from scratch on their first go with all the support in the world, or none/some, but is it really going to work for everyone? Or is it better that Racedepartment only hosts mods of mods that have sufficient amount of work done to them to ensure no quick and dirty fun variants or rehashing as some can label it? I'm asking too many questions again. lol

I think the point I am trying to make is do you want more people to get into modding or is having only the best mods hosted here a better idea? Keep in mind, best can be subjective, and can be hugely so. The official AC forums cannot really be used for modding now, this is the main site now. The way I see it, modding could be already in a steep decline for this game. Do you want the scene to expand or to die off quicker as people move on to other games eventually? I think that's another angle to look at but I could be very wrong here overall or in certain aspects, so long as it can be sorted civilly, and with common decency for one another, that's ok.

No need to get rude about it

I really don't see where I'm being rude. Also of course I put a million HP in cars, but I kept it to myself, there's the difference. And the only thing I did here was post a meme, which as it turns out is pretty appropriate for the occasion. Funny how things are being turned around...

I really don't see where I'm being rude. Also of course I put a million HP in cars, but I kept it to myself, there's the difference. And the only thing I did here was post a meme, which as it turns out is pretty appropriate for the occasion. Funny how things are being turned around...

You mean to say there was no malice towards me behind posting that very specific elephant image highlighting all the feelings I could be feeling? What was your intent behind posting that? To laugh at me correct?

Main purpose was to illustrate Ben's post. Period. I'm not here to hurt anybody's feelings.
Bit too old for that.
Now pls could we all read Kenny's post for a bit? Thank you.

Not sure why you'd feel the need to illustrate that ere

O right, good to know chap, fantastic in fact cause I thought it was malice and that alone. I must have magically confused myself. woah. gotta do a 180! Yeah I prefer to keep a thread civil and joke posts free for these serious discussions, almost got derailed ;)

Last edited:
@Danny kung

Why don't you take Ben's offer and start making physics from scratch for a new car?
Open a WIP thread for it and I'm sure a lot of ppl will read it. I know I would.
We could all learn from it I'm sure. And there's so many ppl on here to help you out with any problems.

I have a thread open, using a tutorial. Run into a big problem here https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/basics-of-getting-your-mod-car-in-game.158568/

EDIT: Real happy to say loading "game crashing" problem is fixed. Many hours wasted, many dead ends with the ksEditor and also blender importing/exporting settings thinking my problem was there... and all it was a incorrect file structure naming (not matching root folder) in SFX folder was the culprit. This also evaded the game's error logs entirely making it exponentially hard to figure out.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea