General Basics of Getting your mod car in game?

Status of project:- NEED GOOD TUTORIALS To Start on Physics modding guys! If you know any, drop em.Temporary Mesh Exterior in place. Working on scaling, making some kind of driveable thing with the dummies and suspension now. Since car suffers from this weird "Half One FPS" problem.. is it the collider? or is it the dummy rotation I don't know.. New collider anyway. EDIT: It was the collider and it's been fixed right done! No more FPS problems with new 34triangle collider

My workflow: The exterior mesh I have made sculpted in sculptris and edited in blender, happy with the general looks it, eventually I will add a subsurf modifier and make it even smoother, there is no interior and it is really in its infancy stages of completion, I don't even have a proper exterior UV paint just a real quick messy attempt at a placeholder, the worst looking car ever right now, terrible shading , haha but it's not too bad I know I can easily edit it in blender or scupltris again and re-export it once I have my physics sorted. I want the car to look how it drives so I'm jumping to making physics now. I use bonnet cam for most cars when I race, so interior really is something I do not care about, also this is my first car, its scratch-made car for the game. Although I've had help here to get dummies working, so the dummies aren't mine currently. Maybe down the line I will have to recreate dummies to actually call it "scratch made" if I want that title at all... In its current state. Not sure if this ever gets released. The other possibility (unlikely right now) is that I actually start on another car from scratch which I can call truly "scratch made"
(making my own dummies) and not have to give credits there.. but I think I will just keep learning about making the car for the game at this point since it's relatively fun.

(Solution was SFX FOLDER NAMING/ORGANIZING)

I've been following this tutorial (https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/your-first-car-in-assetto-corsa-basic-guide.1019/).

It's fairly simple tutorial, hence I thought it to be fairly straightforward and recent (1/2 or more years old) but I think something must have changed since I've followed the steps and ran over them a frustrating amount of times to see what my mod is missing, and have yet to find a reason why it won't show up in game, I must've tried to load my/this mod in game over 30 times. Seems I suffer from the same problems as the commenter there. The logs don't appear to show anything either. Do I require more dummies? All I have is

WHEEL_LF
WHEEL_LR
WHEEL_RF
WHEEL_RR
BODY

BODY isn't a dummy, it's a mesh part of my vehicle. Part because the fbx would not load a over 65k mesh, so I broke up the car. Found that the hard way. It loads fine in Kseditor with right scaling. around 4 metres long after adjusted the blender export settings correctly. My materials have been assigned correctly so what else could it be? What things could cause your car to not load in game and not give out errors in the logs? Making it frustratingly undetectable and diagnosis of such very difficult for a novice modder. The collider? Do colliders have to 100% wrap around the body or can they be bigger/smaller?

I then downloaded the tutorial mod, and to my surprise that will not load in game either(but mods I've downloaded from Racedepartment work just fine), supporting my theory that the tutorial itself is outdated. If the tutorial is outdated, what would it need to work in game as I suspect it is?

Finally I've read through the parts of the updated 2.0 pipeline to understand what could be it and perhaps unsurprisingly, find no "troubleshooting section" or similar, so here I am please help if you know what it could be so I can put this mystery to rest and drive my mod!

End of log: Wed, August 29th 2k18
Solution post: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/basics-of-getting-your-mod-car-in-game.158568/#post-2816017

• :- Temporary Mesh Exterior in place. Working on making some kind of driveable thing with the dummies and suspension now. Since car suffers from this weird "Half One FPS" problem.. is it the collider? or is it the dummy rotation I don't know.. New collider anyway. EDIT: It was the collider and it's been fixed right done! No more FPS problems with new 34triangle collider

Last edited:
I believe the minimum is WHEEL_LF and SUSP_LF and so forth, not sure why it isn't giving you an error though - when I started it would pop up an error if any of these were missing (and log errors if ini files demanded more null objects)

Very helpful thank you! So I should recreate these dummies and not have meshes attached to all and It should load in game? I haven't modeled cockpit for example.
you can just copy the whole bunch into your Blender project file and it should work, nothing needs to be attached to it. You could load it on its own (just the Empties) and it would work.

Very helpful thank you! So I should recreate these dummies and not have meshes attached to all and It should load in game? I haven't modeled cockpit for example.
i usually don't recreate dummies but use them "as is" and put my mesh in position, and link the parts to appropriate dummies.
I actually used the one AccAkut sent for my first mod :D
Truly even if you don't link parts to dummies it should load. Just that you won't see the suspension work or wheel etc.
Same extend, if you don't have interior for example it's ok, as long as dummies are here

Still No luck loading yet.

ERROR: INIReader: content/cars/bcbt/data/lods.ini > KEY_NOT_FOUND: [COCKPIT_HR] DISTANCE_SWITCH

Do I need all the lods like LOD B and LOD C etc as meshes? my lods ini file is probably suffering from lack of data too

Still No luck loading yet.

ERROR: INIReader: content/cars/bcbt/data/lods.ini > KEY_NOT_FOUND: [COCKPIT_HR] DISTANCE_SWITCH

Do I need all the lods like LOD B and LOD C etc as meshes? my lods ini file is probably suffering from lack of data too

no need of B & C if it's not written in LOD.ini
example : (put out in high meters so the car doesn't disappear after few meters)

[COCKPIT_HR]
DISTANCE_SWITCH=7 ;in meters, switch cockpit HR / LR

[LOD_0]
FILE=bo_caterham_super_seven_1700_ss_rhd.kn5
IN=0
OUT=700 ;in meters​

Last edited:
New edit: I did a thing and now have a strong hunch that the problem of not loading lies either with the sfx or data folder.

Edit: Z facing down and Y backwards in KsEditor on WHEEL_LF and the other 3 wheels... whereas
The new dummies such as rimblur (no mesh) have Z backwards and Y up...is this hugely bad?
I'd think it'd load broken if it were a problem...not crash trying to load...
---
car now works in showroom as predicted, with the added suspension dummies. But no loading in game so could be physics/data side of things or something else eek.

this is currently the lods.ini shouldn't have any issues with just this?

[COCKPIT_HR]
DISTANCE_SWITCH=700 ;in meters, switch cockpit HR / LR

[DRIVER_HR]
DISTANCE_SWITCH=750

[LOD_0]
FILE=bcbt.kn5
IN=0
OUT=700

Last edited:
many possibilities :)

i imagine [DRIVER_HR] require a DRIVER_HR dummy in the scene
i never used this

also in car.ini (i think!)
"USE_ANIMATED_SUSPENSIONS=1" can crash if the animation isn't present in \animations
better to leave it 0 till you bake animations for it.

sound SFX folder, make sure it is named the same as your folder, in the txt file too

I just beat you to it Ben! Tried by trial and error...Finally loaded in game! Absolutely Undriveable (literally) but loaded! excellent

Solution: I don't even believe this myself. Sfx folder had the names of the tutorial all over it, All I did was change all the names in the guid.txt and the bank name with notepad++ to match the name of the kn5 meshes(and root folder name) and boom, just like that loaded! wow. So this is the type of error that fails to show up in the logs!

Edit: also, just now learned, trial and error:
No driver_base_pos.knh =the quickest way to crash the loading process. Definite No loading without one.
No collider.kn5? You will sit there waiting, the game will, finally, load for a split second and...it crashes..so you really need this.

Last edited:
Edit: Z facing down and Y backwards in KsEditor on WHEEL_LF and the other 3 wheels... whereas
The new dummies such as rimblur (no mesh) have Z backwards and Y up...is this hugely bad?
For wheels it doesn't really matter (they're rotating anyway), for SUSP_RF (which is suspension components that move up and down with the wheels) you need it to be Y up, Z forward in order for your meshes to show up the same way ingame as they did in Blender. When you get to other moving parts like the steering wheel, STEER_HR also needs Y up, Z forward along its axis in order to rotate correctly.

On the above objects X should pretty much always be left, if you have anything mirrored the game will have big issues. Other stuff can just stick to the default blender axes (z up, y backward, x left) or rotate them however, just don't mirror them.

Last edited:
Great! I have a working car in game now thanks to a few changes and your help, the new collider makes fps butter smooth, car has been scaled to near ideal dimensions but the physics need a hell of an overhaul. Anyone got idea to make a start on an FR or MR layout type car with a few key variations... It is a fictional car...

It's going to have an AWD drivetrain, with a 20/80 split. Weight bias is 52/48 weight is around 1500kg and engine could be anywhere from an inline6 to a smaller v10. Maybe 500hp. Looking for good performance, near 2005 supercar levels grip but it handles just a hint like a luxury saloon. Think an evolution on a Bentley continental crossed with something like an r34 GTR. Anyways that is all subject to change because I need to find figure out how to do physics is all. Any recommended tutorials out there? I haven't a clue where to find the good ones. Probably looking to change up the suspension first (FFB is unbeareable), then the drivetrain, tyres and rest

Last edited:
Great! I have a working car in game now thanks to a few changes and your help, the new collider makes fps butter smooth, car has been scaled to near ideal dimensions but the physics need a hell of an overhaul. Anyone got idea to make a start on an FR or MR layout type car with a few key variations... It is a fictional car...

It's going to have an AWD drivetrain, with a 20/80 split. Weight bias is 52/48 weight is around 1500kg and engine could be anywhere from an inline6 to a smaller v10. Maybe 500hp. Looking for good performance, near 2005 supercar levels grip but it handles just a hint like a luxury saloon. Think an evolution on a Bentley continental crossed with something like an r34 GTR. Anyways that is all subject to change because I need to find figure out how to do physics is all. Any recommended tutorials out there? I haven't a clue where to find the good ones. Probably looking to change up the suspension first (FFB is unbeareable), then the drivetrain, tyres and rest

I don't do physics :D
i found someone who understood them for me... but that's just me, i find more fun doing 3D than even driving the car... anyways.
Tutorials about physics i don't know any. I'd say copy/paste/read and try understand what you can dig on kunos cars.
There should be more detailled post on assetto corsa forum
I started to do a gathering for modding here : https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/how-to-mod-links-ref.141062/

But nothing on physics since i didn't spend time there...

Hey thanks!! I actually want to learn how the top guys do physics so I can better understand and mod.. but I agree there! Doing the 3d can be really rewarding, sometimes hair-pulling, but I can say sometimes driving is less fun than expected!

No real tutorials (too much to put in one spot) and the “top guys” usually have years of experience in sims or engineering. It’s not a short process; there’s a huge amount to learn. In terms of tips, just try to absorb as much information as you can. Check the official AC forum (physics modding section) for some helpful threads regarding the tire model.

The main tricky thing that you'll have to do yourself is setting up the location of the CoG. You sorta have to do it in order.
1) set wheelbase in suspensions.ini
2) set front weight percent in suspensions.ini
3) set Y-offset of axles in suspensions.ini (Y = height in this context, it's the distance above or below CoG for that axle at 'design height' which is wherever you measured it at)
4) move model to match wheels in car.ini

If for some reason you have to change the numbers you'll have to carry through the steps again. Lots of positional physics stuff is relative to the CoG so you need to do it first.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 101 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 78 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 52 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.4%