Some wip projects

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
battle1989.jpg

20210514_142522_resized_1.jpg

Have been away looking at nature. Wonderful beech forest this time of the year.
If someone haven't tried Crew Chief with Mucho's plugin I can really recommend it. And it gets better all the time!

Got some things to fix at Oulton tracks. Reposition flag marshalls, fix some small imperfections and maybe add some better looking crowds at some places where they are most visible. It seems that it is possible to add auto rotating objects like the trees in toca 2, but it requires that all spectators are their own objects, so it is much work. So I will probably only add one row closest to the track (if it works)

Silly me, somehow the test version of Oulton Park was some new/old hybrid, and a lot of my track files have been replaced by older versions (!). Don't know if I made some copy/paste error, but this is how the crowd should have looked. Not fantastic, but should look ok when driving by.

1621546852560.png

Also there are some problems with lack of car ID's. I have used all of them except those that are taken by Simbin...
Was thinking about this again and have some thoughts:
  • You do have all IDs in use, but do others have all in use as well? Either way, I wouldn't care. We all know there are limits, so why not forcing everyone to manage the mods themselves? I mean, you could use 254 IDs or so just for touring cars/mods and do the same for other cars. Not many will ever use mixed classes and so you could inform which mods use the same ID (as far as known) and tell the user to move the other mod into a separate folder to temporarily disable. For me that would work well as I already do it that way.
  • You could put all cars of one mod into a single ID and do not separate them further. It's of course not optimal and filters are useless then, but still it would allow to reduce the number of IDs a bit.

Not been able to complete much for a while.

Test track: testing some new material settings, but not working great. Tried to add bump map and specular map to trees, but the specular light just doesn't look good. Also the cars bounce too much at the oval part of the track, I think it is because of the track is 'twisted' when going from banked to straights, and the HAT file gets sort of jagged if the mesh is not very detailed.
There are also some similar elevation problems at Knutstorp track by Simbin, but not as much.
Have been increasing the level of detail a lot, but stil a little bit too bouncy. Also the usual aiw struggle with things like pits and some corners.

Alpine climb: better materials, track surface and aiw, but still a lot of details to fix

FXM Animation editor: progressed slowly, been able to better extract parts and their data, but have problems converting to float32 for the moment so I can work with positions and orientations.

Super Touring tracks: just need to fine-tune aiw racing lines for Oulton Park track

Also been spending much time exploring the race07 code. There are many interesting things there. It seems the game is looking for PITCREWNORMAL%02d.ANI or PITCREW_%03d.ANI and it loads the .ANI files in gamedata/scripts, but it doesn't do a lot with them. They don't seem to be included in GTR2, so I think they are left there from the Race07 animations that were never included.
It also has some code to check/load pitanims.GTR, but probably returns an error because it can't handle .GTR files.

I don't know much C++, so i don't understand all the details sadly.

Status Update

Newly released:
* Super Touring track pack, thanks to @Kenny Paton and @Sven Hielscher for helping with tests!
* TinyTweaks: Camaro Cup and Camaro Cup 2010, and Grand Touring Pro

WIP projects, descending priority:

* Test track from Toca2.
- testing some new material settings, but not working great. Tried to add bump map and specular map to trees, but the specular light just doesn't look good. Also the cars bounce too much at the oval part of the track, I think it is because of the track is 'twisted' when going from banked to straights, and the HAT file gets sort of jagged if the mesh is not very detailed.
There are also some similar elevation problems at Knutstorp track by Simbin, but not as much.
Have been increasing the level of detail a lot, but stil a little bit too bouncy. Also the usual aiw struggle with things like pits and some corners.

* STCC 2003
- Have to balance the performance of the cars and improve the visuals slightly for a more even look.
Haven't decided what to do about car ID's, but will probably reuse ID's, maybe from BTC-T mod.

* Updates to some TinyTweaks, and STCC2 tinytweak. - a few left to do.

Long time projects:

* Fiesta cup 1998 (Toca 2).
- Exterior is about 90% done. No interior or physics yet, might have to install Toca2 to check for car specs and setup.

* GT3 Huracan
- some exterior details left, then it is time for interior(s) and physics.

* Super Touring Europe
- add some of Markano's skins as addon series for Super Touring Seasons mod

Last edited:
As there are more possibilities to change time of the day in the game now I have been experimenting with sunrise and sunset lights and materials. Would like the materials to look good no matter what time of day, but it isn't easy.
Also experimenting with lens flare to get a little bit of a blinded by light effect. I would like to make the blinding effect bigger in size and also desaturate colors to some degree behind the effect, but I don't think it is possible...

I have been trying to get the nice yellowish evening light before, but it has always looked very strange. This time I think it looks much better. The hard thing is to balance colors of ambient and direct light.

WIP screenshots:

sunset4.jpg

sunset3.jpg
sunset8.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the materials in Alpine Climb has been remade. The goal is to have very similar settings for all, so they reflect light the same way and can be used in any weather and time of day.
Using @mucho 's tools it is possible to set time without making changes to the track gdb file.

One thing that annoys me is that something about the lights in the game that doesn't look right.
So I made some experiments in GEMFX. I used it before just to add a tiny bit of depth to the shadows, but now i tried the different built in shaders.
First it looked bad, but after some tweaking it looks better. I think the shaders are better at simulating the percieved saturation drop off from strong light.

Evening, viewed from sun direction:

1.jpg

Evening towards sun:

2.jpg

Evening, sun from right:

3.jpg

Evening, sun, but not looking straight at it:

4.jpg

Sunny day:

6.jpg

7.jpg

Still the setting is not perfect, it has too much blue color and it has too much sharping/contrast sometimes. And pure white looks a little bit gray...

Looking for some animation flags for the moment. I can change a flag so a practice or qualify session is restarted and the pit marshal garage exit animation is triggered, but I try to isolate just the animation. If I can find out how to do that we could probably add and animate some simplyfied pit crew.
All the pitcrew animation code from Gtr2 seems to be there, but it is difficult for me to analyze C and assembly code (new for me) with a lot of register instructions. It is dufficult to find out what the passed values are when they are passed.

Big breakthrough for me:
I have been able to add pit marshal, not as a track animated object but as a animated pit object. In this picture he wears some custom race suit that was left from earlier experiments. He is very much stationary for the moment, but it can probably be fixed by replacing animation files.

1625334481401.png

Also, the TE guy walks out, stand in position, and walks away after pitstop. Still some bugs, but getting better...

1625334278387.png

Last edited:
Anyone having any experience with endurence racing in Race07? Is there any driver change/ ai control? There is functions for that left in the code, but maybe not used for the moment.

Of course I could check myself, but I have much other things to do...

I hope that in the end we will have

* Pit stops with TE and two WTs - still need to add WTs
* Some kind of working safetycar - much code, but not easy to understand
* Formation lap - code is also there, but difficult to understand what everything is. Have been able to add reconnaissance lap and time until pit closes. Can also start race from pitlane and other not so useful things :roflmao:
* Working headlights - there is code for that, but enabling it leads to a crash for the moment.

Of course these things are not very important, but it is a nice addon and bridge the gap to GTR2 in this area :)

Anything else we are missing?

Amazing what's possible with reverse engineering. Would be great if you could find a way to resolve the ID issues by switching Race07 system off or back to use the classic system of rF and GTR2 with textual classes and filters.
Other than that the day and night changeswould be great for endurance racing. Of course headlights are needed, but maybe that is not working yet because cars do not have projectors; I know that in some cases the engine is looking for certain material names and settings (texture animation), and will crash if not found. So maybe if you see any graphics related crashs, it's exactly because of that. Probably a car converted from GTR2 without any significant changes could help to verify your changes to the code, especially because you bring functions from GTR2 back to Race07...

Amazing what's possible with reverse engineering. Would be great if you could find a way to resolve the ID issues by switching Race07 system off or back to use the classic system of rF and GTR2 with textual classes and filters.
Other than that the day and night changeswould be great for endurance racing. Of course headlights are needed, but maybe that is not working yet because cars do not have projectors; I know that in some cases the engine is looking for certain material names and settings (texture animation), and will crash if not found. So maybe if you see any graphics related crashs, it's exactly because of that. Probably a car converted from GTR2 without any significant changes could help to verify your changes to the code, especially because you bring functions from GTR2 back to Race07...
The car filter and Id problem would be great, but Mucho and Bjarne have explained that the available cars are stored in a 256 long "list" and it can not be increased in a simple way. But who knows what can be done in the future? I wonder if maybe the other games just adds the cars in this list in a dynamic way using the filters? But there still needs to be some list of available cars and classes...
Race07 kind of supports day and night already and the Crew Chief plugin enables the possibility to set time if the control is added to the menu.
I will continue headlight tests, maybe it is the lack of projectors as you say that causing the crash, or we have to flip some switches in the game.
That is mainly what I do, haven't learned enought yet to compile my own complete exe programs, so I leave that to Mucho

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back