Some wip projects

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
battle1989.jpg

Working on Oulton Park tracks. Made the race track smoother (by moving vertices and adding detail) and edited the crowd texture. The resolution is now higher and the spectators are less broad-legged.
It looks a little bit better. I had an idea to add cheering animation, but I think that would be bad for the frame rate. It seems the game engine isn't that good at handling a lot of moving textures.

oulton13.jpg

Attachments

• oulton12.jpg
    oulton12.jpg
    661.6 KB · Views: 45
I considered making the whole texture a 3 - 4 sequence animation, but it is probably better to make a smaller texture for a few spectators and place them in the crowd to get some "life" there.
Technically I guess it is more a vertical sync thing that is the problem for me when a lot of textures are visible. My computer is old now, but it has had some upgrades through the years, so I think it should handle the game without any problems :O_o:

So I thought it might be a game engine thing.

Andreas, just wondering - did you try SRPL shaders with your cars? Would be interesting to see how they will look.

gMotor 2 games are very CPU bound, and if one has more modern GPU, SRPL shaders are pretty much free - I tried them in GTR2 and man, they look great, and I can't even measure the perf drop.

I'm happy with the updates to the Oulton Park tracks now I think, only some testing left to do.
Will add some tweaks to Croft too, maybe add the waving flags.
I think I should add those spectators to Snetterton too, but I'm not sure if I do it now or later.
A long time goal is to replace all the crowds in all the super touring specific tracks for consistency.

Will also have a look at Silverstone tracks and hopefully fix the "after finish line problem" that causes the player car to spin when ai takes over control.

Test track is not very far from release, but I need to do the boring work of adding garage/pit/grid positions. I think the track is best for practice, there will probably be som incidents at the top of the hill...

Alpine climb: will try to smooth out the track surface, it is too bumpy now. The track mesh I exported from Toca2 was very low-poly for obvious reasons, and that is ok for flat roads.
I added a lot of polygons when making the Race 07 version but when the track is "bent" in different directions at the same time, like in the hairpins combined with elevation changes, there needs to be a lot more of them. Otherwise the track surface may look quite smooth, but the .hat file will still be too bumpy, and that will make the track tiring to race at.

While the Oulton Park tracks are tested I work on Alpine Climb.
Some very low res textures gets replaced, some textures gets some polishing
Editing some uv-mapping, so the length of the blue and white areas of the barriers are more consistent
There were a lot of very simple t1 diffuse materials used, so many of them have been updated
And most important, the track surface is smoother.

alpine_screen32.jpg
alpine_screen33.jpg

Last edited:
Status update:

Newly released:

---

WIP projects, descending priority:
* Super Touring track pack
Oulton Park is out for some testing to sort out obvious errors
Croft track has had some minor tweaks
Snetterton track has got a few tweaks
I don't think there will be any other updates this time.

* Test track from Toca2.
- Works quite well and doesn't look to bad now. Maybe I'll make a first public version for testing (as it is a test track) with just a few, 3-4 ai drivers available.

* STCC 2003
- Added back 6 speed gearboxes that were introduced for s2000 cars in 2003 and also added some more downforce to be closer to the later s2000 cars. This had an impact on the performance and balance of the cars so more development is needed. Also not quite happy with how some cars look yet.
Also there are some problems with lack of car ID's. I have used all of them except those that are taken by Simbin...

* Updates to some TinyTweaks, add collision feelers - a few left to do

* STCC2 tinytweak. Already made, just have to pack it and see that everything is there.

Long time projects:

* Fiesta cup 1998 (Toca 2).
- Exterior is about 90% done. No interior or physics yet, might have to install Toca2 to check for car specs and setup.

* GT3 Huracan
- some exterior details left, then it is time for interior(s) and physics.

* Super Touring Europe
- add some of Markano's skins as addon series for Super Touring Seasons mod

please @Furinkazen come here and say that you asked AndreasFSC and me to use our work : if you forgot to write it in your readme then please add our names in credits list :)

Apologies, not logged in for some time and just read this little show.

In our FRM Base Mod (which is just the files required to run)

1620390235144.png

Super Touring car pack V1.0
1620390286067.png

EDIT and in-game (BTCC as example)
Merged as requested.

1620390385309.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.