Seat Leon TCR - 2018

Cars Seat Leon TCR - 2018 V1.7

Login or Register an account to download this content
this is a nice read about the differential this car uses (actually I think the previous one uses this one, the Leon Cup Racer) but still interesting
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39096

Quote:

Part V
Don’t the Seat & VW TCR race cars use the FDL unit?

Only the DSG gearbox versions of the Seat Leon & VW Golf TCR Race cars use the same FDL unit as MK7 Golf GTI “PP”. The cars fitted with the SADEV 6 speed sequential gearbox (SEQ) have their own clutch/ramp type mechanical LSD with sun & planet gears in place of the “open” diff in the gearbox. This SEQ LSD has an external adjustment screw for a “preload” setting, & you can get different “ramp” sets, again to alter the characteristics.

The “Electronic modules” specification lists the “ABS/ESP” unit as “Continental” (actually the MK100 unit), & “Software” for the unit as “Not active”. This proves that although the ABS unit is fitted, it is “inactive”. The reason for this is that the ABS unit is required as a “pass through” for sensors:- G44, G45, G46, G47 (ABS wheel sensors), G200 (lateral acceleration sender), G202 (Yaw rate sender), G251 (longitudinal acceleration sender), as the FDL unit requires the data from these to decide to activate or not! Without these is cannot work!

The “Electronic modules” specification also lists the DSG Mechatronic as “VW” with “Motorsports” software, & the FDL unit as “Borg Warner” with “Motorsports” software.

The 2015 Seat Leon Cup racer lists 3 switchable maps available in the control unit of the FDL unit.
Map 1:- Base mode, no over slip, only yaw damping above 110km/hr, 300Nm preload during braking. For high grip (new tyres).
Map 2:- Like map 1, less yaw damping, 200Nm preload during braking. Medium grip (used tyres).
Map 3:- Preload dependant on engine torque, 200Nm preload during braking (releasing earlier than Map 2). Low grip/rain.

Please note that this engine has a maximum specified torque of 410Nm, so the FDL unit is applying half, or more, of the engines torque figure as “preload” during braking.

Information on the 2016 & 2017 DSG cars is an incorrect cut & paste from the SEQ cars so no more info on the DSG & FDL unit. So it is assumed that the FDL unit is unchanged for these years as no other “revisions” on the DSG specs.

The revised 2017 TCR DSG race car servicing schedule for the DSG gearbox & FDL unit:-
FDL pump replaced every 4,000km.
DSG & FDL units serviced by Seat Sport at 4,000km (sprint race), 8,000km (endurance race).
DSG & FDL units changed (meaning replaced) by Seat Sport at 12,000km (sprint race), 14,000km (endurance race).

The Seat Leon Cup Racer TCR Race cars were launched only with the DSG & the FDL unit in 2015. Then from 2016 they offered the Sadev sequential gearbox with a mechanical LSD as an upgrade package or full new build. Quote from 2016 brochure:- “For the TCR series the car receives a new lighter & more individually adaptable transmission”. Basically the racers wanted a sequential gearbox & a mechanical LSD. Thus a lighter car (40kg less than DSG/FDL for 2017) & more adjustment to suit driver & total predictability of the LSD, compared to the DSG/FDL version. The DSG & FDL launch in the TCR race cars was effectively a PR exercise to “prove” you could track the DSG/FDL.

as I posted previuos times, toe settings on setup is not good, incrementes should be more like any other car no in 0.42 increments, also differential settings shouldn't be incremented by 1, doesn't make any sense. also the differential preload iirc is not the correct value from what I research but I might be wrong

Last edited:
as I posted previuos times, toe settings on setup is not good, incrementes should be more like any other car no in 0.42 increments, also differential settings shouldn't be incremented by 1, doesn't make any sense. also the differential preload iirc is not the correct value from what I research but I might be wrong
It should be something for @Shaun Clarke.
He've much more important real life things to manage at the moment.
So give him some time and the chance to make a statement about it.

Thank you.

Greets After_Midnight

**** UPDATED **** AGAIN

ChangeLog V1.3

Set the Power and Coast Diff to the correct default values
Diff can now only be adjusted in increments of 15
Diff Preload is not correct and non adjustable.
Steering Ratio corrected and Steering Rod Lenght
Lowered FF Slightly (to much clipping)
Weight set correctly for DSG Model
Slightly adjusted front tyres wear
Adjusted front brakes so can get hotter before they fade
Adjust Front and Rear Camber
Adjusted Turbo (degrades smoother)

If I find anything else, I will let you know

Shaun

Last edited:
Here is the current Change Log V1.3

Set the Power and Coast Diff to the correct default values
Diff can now only be adjusted in increments of 15
Diff Preload is now correct and non adjustable.
Steering Ratio corrected and Steering Rod Length
Lowered FF Slightly (to much clipping)
Weight set correctly for DSG Model

If I find anything else, I will let you know

Shaun
Maybe you are able to find the cupra model too :roflmao:

Just kidding. Thank you mate :thumbsup:

Well the feedback (I have 7 people testing as I type) is very very positive, car feels miles better, more precise steering, brakes are better, front tyres, esp left last longer, car feels more balanced.

Very very please so far :)

It still has over twice the downforce it should (as of 1.2)...
Well I can only go on feedback that I get. I was told that V1.2 was more twitchy, wasn't planted to the floor, like the older version, and it felt more natural. This was not just from 1 driver, as loads of drivers use IZONE, and they said it was a massive improvement from the Eurocup Version, which they have used (yes my version) for testing.

What else can I say?

Also, had a IRL TCR driver give feedback here, and he said the same. Not questioning you mate, but if IRL drivers are given me that sort of feedback, what do I do?

Shaun

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back