AC Multiclass Abarth500/Mazda MX5@Daytona, Wed 8th February 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I have not crossed over to the dark side yet, I will never touch the shopping cart again.

But I accept my penance Sir
On a serious note (for a change:O_o:), my first years of RD became MX5 overkill (imo), seemed like every/most race was a Mazzer, and just got bored with it - then @Kek700 gave me some priceless tips re setup and driving (which I wouldn't have found on my own), then got hooked.

For me, it's now become one of the best fwd cars in AC to really get on top of trail braking, understanding basic setup, and 'momentum' driving without it being boring (which I usually shy away from) - you have to be smooth, but can still get away with throwing it at corner rally style, in a way the Mazda can't do.

tldr, it's just more fun:p (and I prefer rwd)

You could let me win occasionally john

3E826835-04B9-4704-B128-1EA2441EA692.jpeg

How about once then.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

New PB,slowly chipping away..:D..

For me Allan there is no time in this circuit, so I am really looking forward to seeing what our Aliens can achieve, I think it is all down to the chicane, maintain max speed through that and I do not think the Abarths will have enough time to catch up. Especially after last week's race, plus no Abarth is going to out drag a Mazda to the first corner.:(

That just leaves me to ask Han to remove the chicane:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
For me Allan there is no time in this circuit, so I am really looking forward to seeing what our Aliens can achieve, I think it is all down to the chicane, maintain max speed through that and I do not think the Abarths will have enough time to catch up. Especially after last week's race, plus no Abarth is going to out drag a Mazda to the first corner.:(

That just leaves me to ask Han to remove the chicane:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think for the non aliens this is an Abarth track. If there's a way for the Mazda to take the chicane flat out (without seriously abusing track limits) then I haven't found it.

Just did some Ai races, interesting stuff… one learns to deal with the first corner in traffic quite fast :p. And I got the mazda to a blazing 206kph after slipstreaming on an Abarth. I was almost tempted to click it to sixth gear :cool: . (I did actually, but that was of no use).

Btw, the country skins on the Abarths look truly amazing when you have the time to study them, looks great!

Still one point remaining for tonight: how are we going to deal with the lack of track limits? At most points it’s not gaining advantage, but some are (chicane). Both Jim and AC don’t bother when going too sharp. Is ‘even playfield’ approach the way to go or do we decide some markers where not to cut points of chicane exits? (Which is quite hard at high speed without sliding too much). Fabulous place to overtake someone :confused:

Reminds me of a running race (you know, with legs instead of wheels) where the official track (for official length) was through the corner of the road, but a lot did the through the grass route. When sticking to the official track, you lost… So, this track reminded me of that race.

(not that I’ll be up for any valuable spots anyway, still in the process of trying to stay alive during a car race :cool: )

Last edited:
1446052304-roa110115fea-specmiata02.jpg

2009-fiat-500-abarth-review-car-and-driver-photo-260871-s-original.jpg

Welcome to the RD Racing Club.

After a couple of hard tracks in the last weeks now something easier to learn but intense to race on with a full grid. It's the famous Daytona track in the road course layout but still with a significant oval part.

Do you love close racing trying to get the maximum out of a slipstream? This is your chance. So sign up for some great racing.

It's also a test for using ingame penalties. You will get a drive through penalty if you:

• cut the track more than 3 times
  • hit another car with a speed above 40km more than 3 times
This doesn't apply for the first lap.

Daytona-Bike-2022.png

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is essential for clean and respectful driving in our community. You should therefore use tools like Helicorsa or CarRadar and CrewChief. The links for these apps are on the bottom of this post.

DISCORD. It's important that you also join us during the event on Discord for additional information and instructions. Link is below.

Post in this thread WITH YOUR CHOICE OF CAR to get a PM for the password for the practice AND the race server. You can also choose your livery when you provide me with your steamID

Especially the new and inexperienced drivers are recommended to participate. There are a lot of learning opportunities but without the intensity and stress of the GT3/4 cars or the endurance multiclass cars. It's also good step up for those kind of events.

Server information:
  • Server: Racedepartment Server 2 Password: standard password, if you don't know that, ask for it in this thread and it will be send in a PM.
  • 20:00 CET, 19:00 BST (19:00 UTC) | 60 minutes - Official Practice
  • 21:05 CET, 20:05 BST (20:05 UTC) | 20 minutes - Qualification
  • 21:30 CET, 20:30 BST (20:30 UTC) | 60 minutes - Race

Event details:

Useful Links:

Entry list:
Please , MX5 , #5

Please , MX5 , #5
Hi Marty,

Great! Will do. I will send you a PM with the password and some other information.
Please enter your real name in your RDaccount/account details in the field Real Name.
It's for internal use only and mandatory for participating in our events.

Last edited:
Yes, track limits, I can cream a circuit if I practice enough in a Mazda, not to the same standard of our Mazda community here.
But to run at Mazda pace with the Abarth you are just going to have to resort to aggressive driving and loads of frequent understeer.
As much as I would like to keep everything perfect track limits wise, the pace and car has another point of view completely from the idiot behind the wheel.

The biggest "cut" I'm trying to avoid is having all 4 wheels on the dirt leaving the bus stop. If you do that you gain lots of time. 2 wheels out though, driven right can get you similar times. But it's definitely faster to "throw it" through there and hope the track marshals aren't watching :roflmao:

Once we hit the oval though, the abarths are gone. Only issue for you all is if you have a mazda on your tail into the bus stop. If you do, watch your inside, or outside, because were flying past you ;):cool:

Last edited:
how are we going to deal with the lack of track limits?
Well gaining time with cutting of parts of track is also the case on tracks with good track limits because AC doesn't give penalties from stock. That's why I'm experimenting with the Emperor realtime penalties.
But in general with track limits is a gentleman's agreement not to cut parts on purpose to win time. And I'm asking anyone to report it to me if a driver does it constant and deliberate. I will look at the replay and do what I think that has to be done.

Last edited:
Well gaining time with cutting of parts of track is also the case on tracks with good track limits because AC doesn't give penalties from stock. That's why I'm experimenting with the Emperor realtime penalties.
But in general with track limits is a gentleman's agreement not to cut parts on purpose to win time. And I'm asking anyone to report it to me if a driver does it constant and deliberate. I will look at the replay and do what I think that has to be done.
Totally agree!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea