LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
thanks for the love guys :)
also thanks for the few people who helped test drive these!

little behind the scene
straight from 3dsmax
it's funny how it looks, maybe give a better idea of the amount of trees and objects in the scene.
And that's it's all Hollywood! Nothing behind!
  • The bushes (good old ones)
  • The Rocks
  • The first layer of bigger bushes with dropped shadow
  • Second layer of trees (pines for now)
    Next layer will be the "wall of trees" somehow.. still figuring out how

screen_tree_viewporta.jpg

screen_tree_viewportb.jpg

the more desert looking area, still in early development, still not happy about the results
screen_tree_viewportc.jpg

and finally the area covered with trees so far. It's always the same, you are busy working out details on a given area, proud of the result, and then you zoom out to realize how litte you did... it's ridiculous XD
the orange mess bottom is the desert attempt, messy indeed.
screen_tree_viewportd.jpg

now i only need more free time!!

thanks for the love guys :)
also thanks for the few people who helped test drive these!

little behind the scene
straight from 3dsmax
it's funny how it looks, maybe give a better idea of the amount of trees and objects in the scene.
And that's it's all Hollywood! Nothing behind!
  • The bushes (good old ones)
  • The Rocks
  • The first layer of bigger bushes with dropped shadow
  • Second layer of trees (pines for now)
    Next layer will be the "wall of trees" somehow.. still figuring out how

View attachment 262300
View attachment 262301

the more desert looking area, still in early development, still not happy about the results
View attachment 262298

and finally the area covered with trees so far. It's always the same, you are busy working out details on a given area, proud of the result, and then you zoom out to realize how litte you did... it's ridiculous XD
the orange mess bottom is the desert attempt, messy indeed.
View attachment 262299

now i only need more free time!!

That is some GTA 5 level size insanity!! Mind boggling!

@Ben O'Bro @Phoenix77 Awesome job. If I may add this (to your relief): last night I drove the Ford Transit for one lap on the current version of the track and it was amazing to look at the scenery at "human" speed. I find even the emptier areas of the track to be fascinating, with the colors of the terrain changing etc. To me, even if some areas are left "empty" that does not detract from the beauty of the track. So don't worry about filling up the whole track.. (ok I know that this is so big that even little sections are miles and miles of road)

.. another great thing was that after the lap driving the Transit I picked up a Lamborghini Countach for another lap and it felt like flying!

@Ben O'Bro @Phoenix77 Awesome job. If I may add this (to your relief): last night I drove the Ford Transit for one lap on the current version of the track and it was amazing to look at the scenery at "human" speed. I find even the emptier areas of the track to be fascinating, with the colors of the terrain changing etc. To me, even if some areas are left "empty" that does not detract from the beauty of the track. So don't worry about filling up the whole track.. (ok I know that this is so big that even little sections are miles and miles of road)

.. another great thing was that after the lap driving the Transit I picked up a Lamborghini Countach for another lap and it felt like flying!

I agree, the empty hills and the areas beyond the treeline look great as they are. They look especially good with the time set at around 5pm or so

Also I'd like to apologise to @Ben O'Bro for the hugeness of all this... :D
It shows how brave he is offering to get involved in all this crazyness lol

He's supported this project pretty much from the word go...
If you like where this is going... Could you consider sending him a beer or coffee...
I've shared several coffee's with him... But I think he may need some more caffeine lol

You can find Ben's donate button on one of his cool Caterham mods :)
LA Canyons - Tree, Rock and Bushes donation fund :D
If you could put in the notes... it's for his LA Canyons work... that'd be cool :) Thanks! :thumbsup:

How hard would it be to make the track bumpier? Right now it feels glass smooth and not so alive like a real world public road.

Also I think the timing markers are buggered. It seems to count time the moment you hit the drive button. I might be mistake, but it seems that way. I like to do time trials with various cars and this will make all the laps invalid.

How hard would it be to make the track bumpier? Right now it feels glass smooth and not so alive like a real world public road.
Also I think the timing markers are buggered. It seems to count time the moment you hit the drive button. I might be mistake, but it seems that way. I like to do time trials with various cars and this will make all the laps invalid.
I'll give you some details and let you answer your own question mate.
Seeing as it's twice the length of the Nordschleife... It's not a 2 second job... and will come in at around 1.4 million polys. (thankfully unrendered)
Using around 50 displacement maps... along the lines of this one...
disp_01.jpg

Only this is shrunk down from 16k x 4k to get it to upload here on RD... this map covers 9m x 36m, So to cover over 42,000m will take some planning... with some of the instances rotated 180°. Then optimised back, which will add more variation depending on the geometry. No repetitions anywhere!

0.5 is just to get the newer.... much much much more accurate layout...
(confirmed by 4 people local to the real roads) out there to drive on,
as it seemed some people didn't want to wait... oh hang on... It was you! :D
I like many I'm sure, don't want to wait for 54 km of extra road :p
Patience is a virtue :p

Timing is the same on any Kunos circuit track... Try highlands for example...
And the timing behaves better with an AI line (normal / reverse layouts)

EDIT: Just incase anyone was going to panic about 50... 16k x 4k images... They are only to control vert heights (black being low, white being high... with height difference between the 2 being a few cm's) I'm modelling with images basically.

Last edited:
Such a brilliant mod! It's a privilege to help out wherever I can!
Thanks pal, so great for people to appreciate what I'm doing here... even though it's only halfway :)
And to volunteer without even being asked... A great example of what the community on here should be all about... great to have you onboard mate! :thumbsup:

Patience is a virtue :p

You clearly don't understand mate, this random person on the internet wants it NOW.

As such, you simply must sacrifice every waking hour, for nothing, so that they can have even more of what you've already given for free after hundreds of hours of effort just that little bit sooner.

Otherwise they will have to wait a bit longer, and that's just totally unreasonable to expect any human on earth to cope with. So inconsiderate of you, I didn't realise I was donating to such a cruel despot, I hope you choke on that coffee sir!

Timing is the same on any Kunos circuit track... Try highlands for example...
And the timing behaves better with an AI line (normal / reverse layouts)

I think that means it requires a full warm up lap to get an accurate timed lap... yikes
I'm guessing the only way to make it so the timing starts at a set point upon arriving on track is to make it a start/finish stage like PCH.

There's nothing in surfaces.ini to add a little powwa to the bumps?

I think that means it requires a full warm up lap to get an accurate timed lap... yikes
I'm guessing the only way to make it so the timing starts at a set point upon arriving on track is to make it a start/finish stage like PCH.

I'm afraid so.. Some things with tracks in general are just the way they are.
I don't think Kunos were really thinking someone would be crazy enough to make a track almost twice the length of the Nordschleife... when they programmed the timing.

No not really... nothing in the surfaces.ini that should really be touched...
That's mainly for grip levels or making certain sections of track valid or not.
All 19 of them! or the generic rumble when going on the grass... NOT the effect that would be very fun for 42kms.

As I said... Patience is a virtue... If you want to feel the double yellows as you cross them... you'll just have to wait.

What I do is using Hotlap mode. As I use CM I'm not sure it's available in the default launcher but it works just fine. You're starting 2 or 3 corners behind the start/finish line and the timing starts shortly after you cross it the first time. No need for driving one whole lap before.

What I do is using Hotlap mode. As I use CM I'm not sure it's available in the default launcher but it works just fine. You're starting 2 or 3 corners behind the start/finish line and the timing starts shortly after you cross it the first time. No need for driving one whole lap before.
Yeah mate, I totally agree, cheers for mentioning :thumbsup:....
I'm pretty sure it's the same with the default launcher.
That's kind of the idea of the hotlap mode, as far as I know.
Also you can get a Ghost Car of your best time... to attempt to "race" :)

Or IIRC, with the layouts with the AI line (normal / reverse)...
The time resets to 0:00 as you cross the line.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back