LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content

Phoenix77

Premium
Phoenix77 submitted a new resource:

L.A Canyons - 42km circuit in the San Gabriel mountains, above Los Angeles

This is an early build of L.A Canyons...
A 42km (26 miles) circuit winding through the San Gabriel mountain range, high above Los Angeles.
View attachment 187208
These roads are among the roads used in "The Smoking Tire" videos on Youtube.
View attachment 187210 View attachment 187211 View attachment 187212 View attachment 187219
Here's a overview of the circuit...
View attachment 187207
To do list
Add road signs..
Add Barriers..
Add a HR FFB road mesh..
Add...

Read more about this resource...

Was just thinking about these roads last week, used to run them on bikes and cars in the late 90's.

Looking forward to running it, but am curious if you can give me the specific street names?

I used to love a run that was on Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Blvd, I believe.

Looking forward to running it, it looks great!

Cheers!

Nice project! When there gonna be trees, guardrails, houses, some electricity pylons, gas station, houses etc (all in all: more life) this will be great! Did a ca 16min lap with the KTM X-Bow (with falling down the trenches 3 times :D).

Was just thinking about these roads last week, used to run them on bikes and cars in the late 90's.
Looking forward to running it, but am curious if you can give me the specific street names?
I used to love a run that was on Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Blvd, I believe.
Looking forward to running it, it looks great!
Cheers!
That's very cool Jake, hopefully it will be somewhat accurate to you then...
The below map will hopefully make it nice and clear :)
la_canyons_map_01.jpg

Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road is there... along with Angeles Crest Highway... and Angeles Forest Highway..
There are a couple of sharp bends that in reality are junctions... For future FPS reasons I have simplified these into corners.
Depending how things run when all the foliage objects (there will need to be a LOT of these)
I may turn these into actual junctions later... We shall see :)

is this Angeles Crest (Hwy 2)? which roads are these?
It has a section of Angeles Crest Highway mate... Check the above map for a more detailed map :)

Nice project! When there gonna be trees, guardrails, houses, some electricity pylons, gas station, houses etc (all in all: more life) this will be great! Did a ca 16min lap with the KTM X-Bow (with falling down the trenches 3 times :D).
Thanks a lot Fabian :) The details I put in may be a little limited by the amount of polys I've used to get the terrain looking immersive...
The road and terrain have used up 2.2 million so far.... I will need to optimise that later.
Crash Barriers and Road Signs will be my 1st priority... HR FFB mesh will follow closely after... Then 100,000+ bushes... trees etc later on... Not sure about houses or gas stations... maybe.. maybe not. And I'm not sure I want to polute the landscape with pylons lol

Thanks for the Lap Time details, I'm really interested to know what times people are getting... and in what car...
That's pretty quick mate... I think my fastest lap so far is in an F1 car around 12 minutes... With LOADS of time to knock off that...
I reckon a 10 - 11 minute lap is possible. A lap in the Mazda 787B is pretty fun :)

About pit position, ok I understand your point and concern, what do you think about extend the terrain on the left side and put a little cabin, maybe a gas station or any building from "the smoking tire" if there are any, quite like what you did for the pacific road.

I tried to have good laps but without any track map plugin, here again I fill holes with expensive cars :p near the end of the track you may find a F-40 :D, elsewhere a few Lotus Exige Roadster and an Audi Quattro. Also it took quite some time to just make one :).

About pit position, ok I understand your point and concern, what do you think about extend the terrain on the left side and put a little cabin, maybe a gas station or any building from "the smoking tire" if there are any, quite like what you did for the pacific road.

I tried to have good laps but without any track map plugin, here again I fill holes with expensive cars :p near the end of the track you may find a F-40 :D, elsewhere a few Lotus Exige Roadster and an Audi Quattro. Also it took quite some time to just make one :).
I don't think there are many buildings.. I think there are some buildings before the sharp right corner into Upper big T... I don't think I saw any others.. I think it was mostly bushes... millions of bushes :( lol

The terrain in real life is extended out on that corner... I could make that area a bit bigger and put 10 or 15 pits there and the rest in the road. Then it will be fine for 1 - 15 players, any late arrivers have to park their expensive cars in the road! lol
lac_start_01.jpg

Screenshot_ks_audi_r8_plus_la_canyons_23-4-117-16-16-21.jpg

I think I've probably flown over your wrecked cars lol... imagine the fun I had trying to do a reasonably consistent, reasonably quick AI line for 42kms... Without flying off lol
Try a 787B when you're more used to it, with low downforce... It's crazy fast down Upper Big T...
Most of the corners on this loop are constant radius.... there are a few corners that tighten... but most are constant, which helps :)

Pacific Coast will be getting a few weeks attention... So this track will probably stay in it's present state for around 3 - 4 weeks... depending how much time I get. When I come back to this track the barriers and road signs will be 1st to go in...
The chevrons alone will save a few of your cars... The barriers will save a few more! :D

I don't think there are many buildings.. I think there are some buildings before the sharp right corner into Upper big T... I don't think I saw any others.. I think it was mostly bushes... millions of bushes :( lol

The terrain in real life is extended out on that corner... I could make that area a bit bigger and put 10 or 15 pits there and the rest in the road. Then it will be fine for 1 - 15 players, any late arrivers have to park their expensive cars in the road! lol
View attachment 187562
View attachment 187561
I think I've probably flown over your wrecked cars lol... imagine the fun I had trying to do a reasonably consistent, reasonably quick AI line for 42kms... Without flying off lol
Try a 787B when you're more used to it, with low downforce... It's crazy fast down Upper Big T...
Most of the corners on this loop are constant radius.... there are a few corners that tighten... but most are constant, which helps :)

Pacific Coast will be getting a few weeks attention... So this track will probably stay in it's present state for around 3 - 4 weeks... depending how much time I get. When I come back to this track the barriers and road signs will be 1st to go in...
The chevrons alone will save a few of your cars... The barriers will save a few more! :D
do you live in LA? I live a few hours away, and I was planning on going back in a few weeks to get some POV video of all these roads. I'll be sure to run this route and get you the link whenever I get it uploaded if you need it for reference.

Sweet, thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

For those interested, up there somewhere is a restaurant "complex," maybe an old motel building. Not much up there but cops, cars and bikes on most weekends.

I think you're thinking of Newcomb's Ranch. that's actually not going to be on this track. where you split left to go to Upper Big Tujunga, if you kept going straight on Angeles for about four more miles you would then hit Newcomb's.

I think you're thinking of Newcomb's Ranch. that's actually not going to be on this track. where you split left to go to Upper Big Tujunga, if you kept going straight on Angeles for about four more miles you would then hit Newcomb's.

Roger that, thanks. It's been almost 20 years since I was on those roads. I did get down to some of the canyons that go down the Pacific north of Neptune's Nest 2 years back, awesome!

What an amazing start. I couldn't complete a whole lap because I kept flying off, but the visuals were amazing, and my girlfriend checked it out while I was driving and we were both teleported back there.

- I think you mention that you have opted to make the road intersections into just corners for now which I get but in terms of realism, even a simple asphalt texture with some cones to indicate that you are turning onto another road would be good.
- Yes there are a couple of buildings like Clear Creek Information Center (where you would turn at the T intersection), and at the Red Box Picnic area (Mt wilson turnoff), theres also a visible ranger station on the left as you get close to turning onto Upper Big Tujunga . Interestingly enough the big riverbed on the left next to the turn onto Upper Big Tujunga Canyon, we found Iron and Jasper there (apparently they used to mine Iron here).
- Mt Wilson is visible from the road and you can see a couple of the observatory buildings and the huge towers. Mt Wilson is very important to science as the first place where the Big Bang was theorized based on their observations. All of Mt Wilson is very protected and survived most of the fires so it is almost completely forested.
- Would you do me a big personal favor please? I know this is a weird request but could you please put an image of https://www.amazon.com/Tao-Ching-Shambhala-Pocket-Classics/dp/0877735425 book at 34.270685, -118.139284 ? My girlfriend gave me this book here at Colby Canyon on my birthday hike one year and she would flip out if I could go off the road and go find it. I guarantee you the closer this gets to reality the more this is going to become a favorite track but this would make it extra special. Thanks again for all your hard work.
So I changed my video from private to unlisted. Hopefully this allows you to see it better. Otherwise check youtu.be/V-QPk_phfRI

thanks for this road it's a blast already and can only get better.
Is it possible for someone to make an AI pit lane file so we can run race weekend
practice sessions with AI

Thanks a lot Fabian :) The details I put in may be a little limited by the amount of polys I've used to get the terrain looking immersive...
The road and terrain have used up 2.2 million so far.... I will need to optimise that later.
Crash Barriers and Road Signs will be my 1st priority... HR FFB mesh will follow closely after... Then 100,000+ bushes... trees etc later on... Not sure about houses or gas stations... maybe.. maybe not. And I'm not sure I want to polute the landscape with pylons lol

Thanks for the Lap Time details, I'm really interested to know what times people are getting... and in what car...
That's pretty quick mate... I think my fastest lap so far is in an F1 car around 12 minutes... With LOADS of time to knock off that...
I reckon a 10 - 11 minute lap is possible. A lap in the Mazda 787B is pretty fun :)

It’s a huge project and map, that’s for sure. Bushes, trees and road signs are mandatory imo, it’ll add a lot to the immersion. perhaps some rocks lying around here and there? I think Highlands has them too, if I’m not wrong. Or just some walls of rock coming/emerging out of the hills, if you know what I mean. Houses and gas stations are just an idea but you’ll do whatever you like. :) At times I thought about old car wrecks at the roadside when I drove your map… :D

All in all it’s really nice, especially in VR.

do you live in LA? I live a few hours away, and I was planning on going back in a few weeks to get some POV video of all these roads. I'll be sure to run this route and get you the link whenever I get it uploaded if you need it for reference.
I live near London mate, that's why Californian roads look so awesome! :D
That would be very useful mate... although it will also probably bug me that this track isn't as authentic as I'd like... lol
I will have to keep telling myself that there are limitations... Firstly in my 3D skill levels... and secondly in what can actually go in game.
Considering this track has got this far in around a month... That's not too sad :)

Sweet, thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

For those interested, up there somewhere is a restaurant "complex," maybe an old motel building. Not much up there but cops, cars and bikes on most weekends.
Cheers Jake, it's awesome to have you guys that have actually driven around these roads IRL commenting and sharing videos and local knowledge :)
Hopefully as my skills improve I will be able to strike a nice balance between authenticity and fps performance :)

What an amazing start. I couldn't complete a whole lap because I kept flying off, but the visuals were amazing, and my girlfriend checked it out while I was driving and we were both teleported back there.

- I think you mention that you have opted to make the road intersections into just corners for now which I get but in terms of realism, even a simple asphalt texture with some cones to indicate that you are turning onto another road would be good.
- Yes there are a couple of buildings like Clear Creek Information Center (where you would turn at the T intersection), and at the Red Box Picnic area (Mt wilson turnoff), theres also a visible ranger station on the left as you get close to turning onto Upper Big Tujunga . Interestingly enough the big riverbed on the left next to the turn onto Upper Big Tujunga Canyon, we found Iron and Jasper there (apparently they used to mine Iron here).
- Mt Wilson is visible from the road and you can see a couple of the observatory buildings and the huge towers. Mt Wilson is very important to science as the first place where the Big Bang was theorized based on their observations. All of Mt Wilson is very protected and survived most of the fires so it is almost completely forested.
- Would you do me a big personal favor please? I know this is a weird request but could you please put an image of https://www.amazon.com/Tao-Ching-Shambhala-Pocket-Classics/dp/0877735425 book at 34.270685, -118.139284 ? My girlfriend gave me this book here at Colby Canyon on my birthday hike one year and she would flip out if I could go off the road and go find it. I guarantee you the closer this gets to reality the more this is going to become a favorite track but this would make it extra special. Thanks again for all your hard work.
So I changed my video from private to unlisted. Hopefully this allows you to see it better. Otherwise check youtu.be/V-QPk_phfRI
Thanks Trevor, and thanks for sharing the video... Very cool indeed!
Great that you and your girlfriend were teleported back here :) Good to know that I have managed to capture some authenticity to the area :)
I will have to have a look at the intersections... probably sooner rather than later.
Though I will have to go easy on texture usage until I know how to use UVW mapping better. So in future I will have texture "libraries"... The more separate textures I use... The more requests that are asked of the graphics card.

Thanks for all the info... Yeah I know of Mt Wilsons 100inch telescope where Hubble found the Sephid Variable star :) That will be cool to put in as a distant object.

I have to be honest, that is a weird request lol If I do put that in... It will be probably much much later... There are way too many important other things to sort. And I will only do it if I manage to sort the texture "libraries" out.
btw those longitude / latitude co-ordinates don't correlate to my 3D mesh now... At a later date, and if I sort things... PM me a screengrab from Googlemaps and circle whereabouts would probably be easiest :) You'll be lucky to find it though... as the further you get from the road... The bigger the triangles get so the harder to drive it will get! We shall see though...

Glad you're enjoying the track mate :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back