HOW TO INSTALL GTR2 and PnG3 in 2019 ?

----------------------------------------------
| HOW TO INSTALL GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH |
----------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT :
-----------
- NEW CLEAN GTR2 INSTALL FROM DVD or STEAM + GTR2 HQ ANNIVERSARY PATCH (PART1+PART2) ARE FULLY WORKING ON WINDOWS XP/VISTA/7/8/10/11 !!!

- DO NOT INSTALL SIMBIN PATCH 1.1 / NOCD GTR2.EXE / 4GB PATCH BECAUSE THEY ARE ALREADY INCLUDED AND YOU WILL BREAK GTR2 SETUP !!!

First you will need to install :
--------------------------------
- 7zip archiver to create/open archives : https://www.7-zip.org

Included in GTR2 HQ Anniversary Patch : GTR2_SETUP.CMD will install them automatically if required*
- Microsoft DirectX 9c June 2010
- Microsoft Visual C++ VC redist 2010 sp1 with MFC security update
- Microsoft Visual C++ VC redist 2015-2019

(*) a POP PUP will be prompted if install is required : you just need to click YES to allow install program in this case.

-------------------------------------------
| 1a) PRELIMINARY FOR DISC VERSION ONLY |
-------------------------------------------
- insert GTR2 DISC

- choose any language

- install GTR2 directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2HQ

- DO NOT SET 3D CONFIG : UNTICK 3D CONFIG BOX at the end of install !!!

- DO NOT RUN GTR2 YET !!!

- REMOVE GTR2 DISC and go to 2)

--------------------------------------------
| 1b) PRELIMINARY FOR STEAM VERSION ONLY |
--------------------------------------------
- Buy and install GTR2 from STEAM

- NEVER MODIFY ORIGINAL GTR2 STEAM INSTALL, KEEP IT ALWAYS CLEAN!!!

- Copy or make an archive (7z/zip/rar) of your clean GTR2 folder from STEAM\steamapps\common\GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game

- Copy or extract your clean GTR2 archive directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2HQ

- go to 2)

----------------------
| 2) GTR2 INSTALL |
----------------------
- download and install GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH : 1 SINGLE ARCHIVE SPLIT in 3 parts (001 is the header file and this is THE ONLY ONE YOU MUST OPEN, IGNORE 002/003 FILES BECAUSE THEY ARE ONLY READABLE BY 7zip DURING EXTRACTION), YOU MUST DOWNLOAD THE 3 PARTS FIRST THEN YOU CAN EXTRACT 7z.001 FILE (I REPEAT, IGNORE 002/003 FILES BUT THEY ARE REQUIRED AT SAME PLACE AS 001 FOR 7zip EXTRACTION) : RIGHT CLICK ON 7Z.001 FILE, WHILE YOU HOLD RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON YOU MOVE MOUSE POINTER IN YOUR GTR2 FOLDER (where GTR2.EXE is), THEN RELEASE RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, LEFT CLICK ON "7-zip" >> "EXTRACT HERE" AND click "YES" to overwrite ALL files/folders (check "APPLY TO ALL")
part-1 : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-1.21415/
part-2 : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-2.32658/
part-3 : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-anniversary-patch-part-3.54224/

- you can also add HQ 2005 FiaGT season : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gtr2-hq-2005-fiagt-mod.32765/

- and finally there is a hotfix to apply :

- right click on GTR2CONFIG.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box (you can skip this step only if you use CrewChief plugin because without CrewChief plugin GTR2 will not launch if administrator rights are not set to both GTR2config.EXE and GTR2.EXE)

- right click on GTR2.EXE >> left click PROPERTY >> COMPATIBILITY >> tick ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS box (you can skip this step only if you use CrewChief plugin because without CrewChief plugin GTR2 will not launch if administrator rights are not set to both GTR2config.EXE and GTR2.EXE)

- use RadeonMod or Nvidia Profile Inspector (available in [OPTIONS]\f-[Windows TOOLS]) to set AA/AF (NVIDIA ONLY: set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo III and select "replace/override application setting" for AA mode, you can also enable DSRX4).

Moreover on a LAPTOP you need to set both GTR2Config.EXE + GTR2.EXE to your GPU instead of poor integrated graphics.

- now run GTR2config.EXE (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here because the antialiasing/anisotropic settings in gtr2config are basic/outdated and doesn't manage advanced AA/AF that you have got with recent nvidia/AMD panel.
Turn off Vsync as FFB in GTR2 is tied to refresh rate (HIGHER FPS = BETTER FFB), moreover Vsync is never a good idea as you get lag.
Nevertheless, if you have +400 fps then you can get missed gear changes so try to limit the fps to 120 with nvidia/AMD panel.

- install Bill's process manager or Bitsum Process Lasso, and set GTR2.EXE "CPU AFFINITY" to use at least 2 cores of your CPU (you can skip this step if you use CrewChief Plugin)
You can also do it manually each time after launching GTR2 by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC then click on PROCESSUS tab, right click on GTR2.EXE and set AFFINITY to ALL CORES.

- RUN GTR2_SETUP.CMD
>> page I choose language
>> page II choose HUD
>> page VI choose binary (NOCD IS SET BY DEFAULT)
>> page VII choose plugin (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page VIII choose defviews FOV (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page IX choose PLR* FFB (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
(*) you can rename later "PLAYER.PLR" file in "GTR2\UserData\PLAYER" then "PLAYER" folder in "GTR2\UserData" with same NAME of your choice
>> set other options as you like or skip them with S key

- from now you can run GTR2.EXE

---------------------------------------
| 3) Power & Glory 3 (PnG3) INSTALL |
---------------------------------------
note: since I have made the GTR2_SETUP.CMD the install order GTR2>>HQ PATCH>>PnG3 or GTR2>>PnG3>>HQ PATCH is no more important. Indeed SETUP allows you to install GTR2 or PnG3 UI and other options afterward so you will have the same content in the end. The only small issue if you do GTR2>>HQ PATCH>>PnG3 is that PnG3 installer will detect modified files from HQ Patch as "corrupted" but just ignore these error messages because my HQ files are patched but not corrupted.

- follow STEP 1a) or 1b), then 2) to create a clean GTR2 install in D:\PnG3 by example

- you must run GTR2 at least once before installing PnG3 MOD

- download and install PnG3 mod : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/power-glory-for-gtr-2.21450/

- RUN GTR2_SETUP.CMD
>> page I choose language
>> page II choose #9 HUD PnG3 Anniversary
>> page VI choose binary (NOCD IS SET BY DEFAULT) #1 without CrewChief or #2 with CrewChief
>> page VII choose plugin (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page VIII choose defviews FOV (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
>> page IX choose PLR* FFB (MANDATORY EVERY TIME YOU MODIFY BINARY WITH SETUP!!!)
(*) you can rename later "PLAYER.PLR" file in "GTR2\UserData\PLAYER" and "PLAYER" folder in "GTR2\UserData" with same NAME of your choice
>> page XI choose Settings.DDB file : HQ AI is recommended for offline but PnG3 version is required for festbierbude.de online
>> page XII choose UI PnG3 #A or #B (I added 24h/driving school lines in main menu plus many other tweaks)
>> page XV you can type #1 to remove safely all modern GTR2 cars (base+hq) which are not required for PnG3 mod
>> page XVI choose #1 OR #2 PnG3 HQ Anniversary if you want moving wipers and important fixes
>> page XVII choose #1 for wipers without CrewChief or #2 if you have CrewChief plugin installed (nvidia RTX recommended)
>> page XVIII choose #B for patched Mustang Safety Car
>> page XXXI choose #4 PnG3 Driving School cars

- from now you can run GTR2.EXE

--------------------------------------
| 4) CrewChief plugin (CC) INSTALL |
--------------------------------------
- visit thecrewchief.org to download CC app called "CrewChiefV4.msi"
- install CrewChiefV4.msi in DEFAULT PATH (DO NOT CHANGE IT!)
- run GTR2_SETUP.CMD :
>> page VI you MUST set #2
>> page VII select either #4 to copy CC files in your GTR2 without openvr_api.dll (NO VR), or #5 if you want to use openvr_api.dll for VR headset
>> page VIII you MUST update defviews FOV
>> page IX you MUST update PLR
>> page XVII choose #2
Now you can exit setup with "X" key

- now your GTR2/PnG3 install is READY FOR CREWCHIEF

---------------
| UNINSTALL |
---------------
Just delete folder D:\GTR2HQ or D:\PnG3

That's all folks!

Last edited:
on windows 8 (same with vista) I have a boot loop if I do not set winxp compatibility and driving school will not work if I don't give admin rights to EXE

Me 3 p

Like I said I set W7 out of habit as on my older GPUs like 9800GT and up if you set XP config it
record 512kb of video memory
This would cause you to get those red warnings in GTR / GTR2 graphics menu when you could easy run max settings
If you edit and set 1mb ( 1024kb) in config.ini you don't get the red warnings

No I am not admin.
My gaming computer only got Windows 10 Home.

This would cause you to get those red warnings in GTR / GTR2 graphics menu when you could easy run max settings
If you edit and set 1mb ( 1024kb) in config.ini you don't get the red warnings

You can also just delete that warnings form the menu so it can't pop up.

Find it strange we have slightly different results from small things like comparability settings.
Lately I also have issues with the focus. Sometimes I have to press ALT+ENTER to force it into windows mode.
Might be that I got a VR headset plugged in too?
But the ALT+Enter always works so not a big issue.

I am running Steam GTR2.exe for all my GTR2 installs, and the only issue I hit is video configuration gets messed up while switching between installs, and for the life of me I couldn't get to the bottom of it (files are identical, but somehow they don't work depending on which .exe loads them). But I found a reliably working workaround, and it is better than symlink workaround I tried before.

Here's how my Docs GTR2 folder looks like:
View attachment 411235

Then in every install I have two batch files:
View attachment 411236

r_vr starts in VR resolution, r_w start in lower res for doing some modding etc.

del "E:\Documents\GTR2\Config.ini"
copy "E:\Documents\GTR2\Config.ini_ba_w" "E:\Documents\GTR2\Config.ini"

No elevation, no compat mode, no issues (other than known limitation of Steam .exe).

Different horses different courses ;)

I run resolutions as mods for JSGME/OVGME :O_o:

Before I got 4K I used to run 4 resolutions 1366 window ( for mod tests like you say ) 1980 (FS) and 2560 or 4K in DSR mode
So I make a config mod for each res that also includes XD and map file to match scaling
This way every time I need to swap res no need to reset XD and map sizes and positions over and over
1 click to activate the 3 changes/edits and 1 click back

Oh and you only need that one set of res mods for ALL installs
New driver comes out makes fast work for many folders
Used in conjunction with AppCompatibilityView in my situation
I can forget about admin/compat for good

gtr2 res mods.jpg

===============
brain storm
Mods to use either tower and/or either monitor doh
Store these in a Mods folder on my Corsair SSD thumb !
It shares towers with Orico 15 port hub I switch between PCs !
Should have thought of that year ago
128GB was always too small for all my backup/ drivers/ etc + GME mods
Just never thought of only putting the small ones that get updated on it

Untitled 1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm trying to get GTR1 working, I had it working on my old gaming laptop for a while But can't seem to get it sorted on this system. I think I have the config.ini figured out in that I'm not getting the low vram message anymore.
But now I'm getting a new error message
"Couldn't launch GTR.exe. The requested operation requires elevation"
I'm running everything with win Vista service pack 2 compatibility and administrator rights. Not sure what to do next.
Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to get GTR1 working, I had it working on my old gaming laptop for a while But can't seem to get it sorted on this system. I think I have the config.ini figured out in that I'm not getting the low vram message anymore.
But now I'm getting a new error message
"Couldn't launch GTR.exe. The requested operation requires elevation"
I'm running everything with win Vista service pack 2 compatibility and administrator rights. Not sure what to do next.
Thanks in advance.
Check this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/44600/discussions/0/523897653311112574/?ctp=2
. Haven't tried it myself though

I have installed the HQ Anniversary PATCH but I still have the black/gray cars, what am I doing wrong?
As told you in another thread, you MUST (I mean this is not an option but mandatory) run GTR2_SETUP.BAT and at least choose a patched binary at page III (select 2 for CC VR), type 9 at page IV to install patched clipplanes defviews for CC VR, and for newbies it is highly recommended to answer YES at page V to install patched PLR then you can exit setup with X key.
I you run GTR2_SETUP.BAT and did what I said, and still grey cars then you extracted hq patch in wrong folder : GTR2_SETUP.BAT must be in same folder as original GTR2.EXE and when you extract hq patch archive windows must have asked you if you want to overwrite GameData and all other files, and you must have checked box to allow it for all files and folders.
Hope it helps.

I have installed the HQ Anniversary PATCH but I still have the black/gray cars, what am I doing wrong?

If you use the NoCD gtr2.exe about 5.9Mb in size you will not have grayed out cars and can use XD but you can't use Crew Chief, VR nor any plugins like GID nor SimHUB.

Steam Gtr2.exe about 3.4Mb in size do have grayed out cars but easy to got back.

You lose XD but gain CC, VR and Simhub and changing weather in Race also find it runs better in Win 10 than the old NoCD version but might just be placebo.

Hate to be a pest..LoL.. Can anyone point me in the right spot for a good P&G3 download link?? Have tried multiple sites and the #2 file seems to be corrupted. The download here on RD is jacked up as well.... Also, is there anything to do different with getting P&G to run in VR? Thanks...

you can install HQ Anniversary Patch but PnG3 installer will tell you that your gtr2 install is corrupted :D
Another solution :
- clean gtr2 install
- install PnG3
- install GTR2 HQ Anniversary Patch
- run GTR2_SETUP.BAT : at page X delete gtr2 cars -2- and eventually sounds -3- BUT KEEP TRACKS, don't erase them
- download GTR2 HQ MODS COLLECTION to install PnG3 UI Menu

you can install HQ Anniversary Patch but PnG3 installer will tell you that your gtr2 install is corrupted :D
Another solution :
- clean gtr2 install
- install PnG3
- install GTR2 HQ Anniversary Patch
- run GTR2_SETUP.BAT : at page X delete gtr2 cars -2- and eventually sounds -3- BUT KEEP TRACKS, don't erase them
- download GTR2 HQ MODS COLLECTION to install PnG3 UI Menu

Awesome...Thank you sir!!! Worked like a charm... Pretending to be J Clark throwing around the Lotus Cortina is priceless in VR....:)

Last edited:
Perhaps MSI disabled dx9 support by default in your all new videocard ???
For sure you can try alternate video drivers.
You can also check BIOS version of motherboard/gpu : maybe some updates have fixed this issue ???
Maybe a wrong setting in motherboard bios : try a reset to stock ???
if your pc is brand new then you've got possibly a faulty composant (tiny transistor somewhere) : as Shovas said, did you try demos to stress your composants ? In general it could be cpu, gpu, motherboard or ram : if it is new then you can ask for a replacement or refund but you should know which one ???
After I do a lot of researches and Trial and errors, I found that Japanese keyboards "half-width English/numbers mode" were causing all those problem to happened(Which it doesn't occurs trouble in old Windows 7), so I switch to English and GTR2 finally works perfectly!

This link is 404:

Microsoft DirectX 9c June 2010 SDK : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

This step didn't work for me, nothing happened:
- use Nvidia Profile Inspector (available in [OPTIONS]\f-[Windows TOOLS]) to set AA/AF : set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo III and select "replace application setting" to override the application AA settings, you can also enable DSR X4 on GTR2 to remove pretty much all aliasing without any noticeable frame drop. Borderless windows mode is pretty good too.
Moreover on a LAPTOP you need to set both GTR2Config.EXE + GTR2.EXE to your GPU instead of poor integrated graphics.

What is your pc : desktop tower or laptop mobile ?
If you have 2 graphic cards (real gpu+ integrated) then you must run your graphic adapter setup and set real gpu for gtr2.exe + gtr2config.exe

Wow microsoft removed dx9 runtime :( that sounds bad for next win10 updates...

Edit: dx9 link on cnet

Last edited:
Gtr2 is a directX9 game (like RRE) and dx9 library is not included in Win10 by default so I guess dx9 games will not work 100% if some elements are absent (missing textures or this kind of glitches)

@Durge Driven told me that nvidia profile inspector works with his AMD graphics so you can try too but it is not mandatory of course, especially if gtr2 works without it :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back