HOW TO INSTALL GTR2 and PnG3 in 2019 ?

Gtr2 is a directX9 game (like RRE) and dx9 library is not included in Win10 by default so I guess dx9 games will not work 100% if some elements are absent (missing textures or this kind of glitches)

@Durge Driven told me that nvidia profile inspector works with his AMD graphics so you can try too but it is not mandatory of course, especially if gtr2 works without it :)

Okay then I will download dx9 but probably leave the other alone unless I run into issues.

Do you know of a working P&G link? The one on racedepartment and most other places has a corrupt file so it won't extract correctly.

Durge Driven

Premium
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
I think you must have misunderstood something I said Paul :barefoot:

I did say the 2 control panels are alike as in quality outcomes and that was using the cheapest onboard video and slowest CPU 3200G-Vega8 versus 3900X and RTX 2080

I also said GTR2 looked better with AMD ...imho
I have 3400G-Vega11 as everyday tower now ( GPL, GTL ,GTR2, PnG and rFactor )

This might be a dumb post but here it goes :

I made a fresh install (non-steam version) for the SuperTouring mod. Works great.
Decided to do the same for the Absolute Le Mans mod, so I made a new folder named GTR2 - ABSLM (on the same disk) and copy pasted everything needed (minus the ST mod files).
Works great ! But once I try to drive in any mode the game crashes. What have I done wrong ? The game launches fine, the cars appears, there's nothing wrong... Until I launch a session lol.

Jempy

Premium
Belgium near Spa
The best is ..... what I wished to say but @gwaldock was quicker :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Absolute LeMans Mod is very huge and needs a lot of files install ( I'm in fact a member of this team ), an important file is maybe missing or even a full folder

This trace file will maybe tell us what's and where's the problem.

I have all packs installed on my own PC with a non-steam and only Group C with a Steam version and everything is working without any problem.

Last edited:
Trace file incoming. Wanted to say that it happens with the base GTR2 cars - so ABLM isn't the culprit.

edit : never used a trace file before - is it the way to make one ? Cause like that it doesn't work lol.

ggg.PNG

Last edited:
Yep, it's on the desktop, ran config then GTR2 in Admin mode and no trace file in LOG.
There's a tmp.trk file, though.

But as I said I just can't race - base car, mod car, base track, mod track ,nothing works ahah.

(steam version works fine, as does the non-steam one. It's just this copy that refuses to race anything)

Last edited:

Jempy

Premium
Belgium near Spa
I think that your problem lies in your Userdata as you surely copied them from the other install and some infos in a file still pointing to the other install surely remained as they were.

I guess that creating a new profile and try to start a session even with only the keyboard as controller might help to see if the game can be started that way..... without any link to the previous install.

Already did that ! Made sure the previous UserData didn't carry over. I've restarted it 3x to no avail - the cars who up, the game runs fine then it doesn't when I try to race.
And the bloody trace file doesn't work.
Well... Guess I'll have to find a non-legit GTR2 copy eh ?

Jempy

Premium
Belgium near Spa
You can install the Steam version more than once as it doesn't need Steam to work ;)

No trace file if the session crashes before loading anything.
You surely made a mistake somewhere when creating the copy but where and why ... I really don't know.

Also, you no longer need to run gtr2.exe as admin to isolate UserData. CrewChief plugin has setting:

disableMyDocumentsProfile = 1

This will make game read and write data only from drop folder.

Last edited:

GTR233

Premium
Hexagone
With HQ Anniversary Patch you can run GTR2_DEBUG.CMD to launch gtr2 with trace command line and trace.txt will automatically be open after gtr2 session.

Thanks for the updated guide on how to install P&G today.

Is there an easy way to remove the HQ tracks from the ingame list when all the HQ elements are applied to the normal tracks. Moving the HQ folders out of the locations dir causes that the regular tracks crash when loaded.

GTR233

Premium
Hexagone

Is there an easy way to remove the HQ tracks from the ingame list when all the HQ elements are applied to the normal tracks. Moving the HQ folders out of the locations dir causes that the regular tracks crash when loaded.
hq tracks are independant from stock tracks...except if you enabled HQ textures for stock tracks via GTR2_SETUP.
So you can delete all HQ Tracks by deleting all HQXXXXX folders from GTR2\GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS
but you also need to disable HQ textures from stock tracks via GTR2_SETUP.
FYI even with same HQ textures your game experience will be rather different if you compare the same track STOCK vs HQ because Lighting, AI settings and patches are different.

You know you can install Gtr2 anywhere. Doesn't need steam at all.
Think it is best to have a standalone P&G install with just P&G installed and gtr2 cars removed..

Ohh good to know that. I thought that through the setup all HQ upgrades could be transfered to the default tracks so that they can be used in the P&G championships. Another thing learned. :)

You know you can install Gtr2 anywhere. Doesn't need steam at all.
Think it is best to have a standalone P&G install with just P&G installed and gtr2 cars removed..
Yes that is what I have done. One anniversary GTR2 and one P&G installed in a way the guide here suggested. (and one stock GTR2 as drop in). I was just wanted to remove the duplicate content out of P&G (HQ tracks) but i learned that they are different on many aspects not just the textures etc.