HOW TO INSTALL GTR2 and PnG3 in 2019 ?

GTR233

500RPM
Jun 3, 2018
GTR2 INSTALL PROCESS :
-------------------------------------

READ CAREFULLY OTHERWISE YOU WILL POST ON FORUMS THAT GTR2 DOESN'T WORK ON WIN10 WHICH IS WRONG !!!
CLEAN GTR2 INSTALL FROM DVD/STEAM + GTR2 10TH ANNIVERSARY PATCH WERE TESTED AND ARE FULLY WORKING ON WIN XP/VISTA/7/8/10 !!!
ALL PATCHES ARE INCLUDED SO DO NOT INSTALL SIMBIN PATCH 1.1 OR NOCD OR 4GB PATCH !!!

Note that you will need latest 7zip archiver to create/open archives : www.7-zip.org
And latest directX 9c June 2010 : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

YOU MUST CHOOSE EITHER a) or b) :

1a) PRELIMINARY FOR DISC VERSION ONLY :
---------------------------------------
- insert GTR2 DISC

- choose any language

- install GTR2 directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2

- MANDATORY : NEITHER SET 3D CONFIG (UNTICK BOX) NOR RUN GTR2 AT THE END OF INSTALL YET !!!

1b) PRELIMINARY FOR STEAM VERSION ONLY :
----------------------------------------
- install GTR2 from STEAM

- MANDATORY : NEVER MODIFY STEAM INSTALL FOR GTR2 because STEAM will check files integrity inside \steamapps folder and will restore originals anytime it detects a modification, and you will get big problems !!!

- Make an archive (7z/zip/rar) of your clean GTR2 from STEAM\steamapps\common\GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game

- extract your clean GTR2 archive directly at the root of one of your drives like D:\GTR2

Note for both DISC/STEAM versions :
-----------------------------------
you can have multiple GTR2 installs in multiple folders like C:\GTR2-MOD-DTM, D:\GTR2-MOD-F1-79, D:\P&G3, etc... But in this case you will have to set WinXP compatibility + Administrator rights to ALL EXE for EVERY FOLDER and not only 1 !!!
When you have many GTR2 folders you can try this tool here : https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/good-little-tool-for-many-gtr2-gtl-folders.162318/

2a) GTR2 INSTALL :
------------------
- download and install GTR2 10th Anniversary PATCH (click YES to overwrite ALL files/folders and check "APPLY TO ALL") : https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtr2-10th-anniversary-patch.152429/

- right click on all EXE files inside GTR2 folder and set WinXP compatibility + check Administrator rights (also tick the box to change settings for all users)

- use Nvidia Profile Inspector to set AA/AF : set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo III and select "replace application setting" to override the application AA settings, you can also enable DSR X4 on GTR2 to remove pretty much all aliasing without any noticeable frame drop. Borderless windows mode is pretty good too.
Moreover on a LAPTOP you need to set both GTR2Config.EXE + GTR2.EXE to your GPU instead of poor integrated graphics.

- now run GTR2config.exe (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here because the antialiasing/anisotropic settings in gtr2config are basic/outdated and doesn't manage advanced AA/AF that you have got with nvidia/AMD panel.
Turn off Vsync as FFB in GTR2 is tied to refresh rate, moreover Vsync is never a good idea as you get lag.
Nevertheless, if you have +400 fps then you can get missed gear changes so try to limit the fps to 120 with nvidia/AMD panel.

- Install either Bill2's Process Manager (free but no more updated for many years, moreover the EXE needs Administrator rights with modern OS) or Bitsum Process Lasso (still updated and free version is enough in most cases) and set GTR2.EXE core affinity to use at least 2 cores of your processor because core affinity is the key to get better framerates.
You can either do it manually just after launching GTR2 by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC then click on PROCESSUS tab, right click on GTR2.EXE and set AFFINITY to ALL CORES.

- if you have run once GTR2Config.EXE or GTR2.EXE without WinXP compatibility/Admin rights, then the game has created a new GTR2 folder in "My Documents" directory : you MUST DELETE this GTR2 folder.

- go to \[OPTIONS]\c-[OPTIONAL LANGUAGES] folder, choose your language (select ENGLISH if your language is not available) and COPY-PASTE ALL files/folers (click YES to overwrite ALL files/folders and check "APPLY TO ALL")

- now you can run GTR2.exe

2b) Power & Glory 3 INSTALL :
-----------------------------
YOU WILL NOT INSTALL 10TH ANNIVERSARY PATCH HERE BUT USE SEPARATE HQ MODS COLLECTION INSTEAD FOR BETTER COMPATIBILITY !!!

- follow STEP 1a) or 1b) to create a clean GTR2 install in D:\PnG3 by example

- right click on all EXE files inside GTR2 folder and set WinXP compatibility + check Administrator rights (also tick the box to change settings for all users)

- use Nvidia Profile Inspector to set AA/AF : set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo III and select "replace application setting" to override the application AA settings, you can also enable DSR X4 on GTR2 to remove pretty much all aliasing without any noticeable frame drop. Borderless windows mode is pretty good too.
Moreover on a LAPTOP you need to set both GTR2Config.EXE + GTR2.EXE to your GPU instead of poor integrated graphics.

- now run GTR2config.exe (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here because the antialiasing/anisotropic settings in gtr2config are basic/outdated and doesn't manage advanced AA/AF that you have got with nvidia/AMD panel.
Turn off Vsync as FFB in GTR2 is tied to refresh rate, moreover Vsync is never a good idea as you get lag.
Nevertheless, if you have +400 fps then you can get missed gear changes so try to limit the fps to 120 with nvidia/AMD panel.

- Install either Bill2's Process Manager (free but no more updated for many years, moreover the EXE needs Administrator rights with modern OS) or Bitsum Process Lasso (still updated and free version is enough in most cases) and set GTR2.EXE core affinity to use at least 2 cores of your processor because core affinity is the key to get better framerates.
You can either do it manually just after launching GTR2 by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC then click on PROCESSUS tab, right click on GTR2.EXE and set AFFINITY to ALL CORES.

- if you have run once GTR2Config.EXE or GTR2.EXE without WinXP compatibility/Admin rights, then the game has created a new GTR2 folder in "My Documents" directory : you MUST DELETE this GTR2 folder.

- now you can run GTR2.exe because it is recommended to create a profile before installing PnG3 mod

- download and install PnG3 mod :
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/power-glory-for-gtr-2.153220/

(I recommend to select "SLIM DOWN EXISTING INSTALL" option to remove modern cars)

- right click on GTR2.EXE and set WinXP compatibility + check Administrator rights (also tick the box to change settings for all users).
YOU NEED TO REDO THAT BECAUSE PnG3 INSTALL HAS MODIFIED GTR2.EXE !!!

- download GTR2 HQ MODS COLLECTION : https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtr2-hq-mods-collection.152457/
Read carefully the readme and install compatible HQ MODS.

- now you can run either PnG3.exe or GTR2.EXE

---------------------------------------------------
tutorial based on :
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/reinstalling-gtr2-best-approach.163691/
THANKS FOLKS FOR READING TILL THE END AND ENJOY !!!

---------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Shovas

500RPM
Premium
Apr 18, 2014

NEChris

1RPM
Jun 10, 2013
Installing Bill2's Process Manager? I thougth the PnG3 launcher offers an option to enable all cores? Although I must say it doesn't work always...

Denis Betty

The older I get, the better I was.
Staff
Premium
Jun 18, 2013
Does the +fullproc command not work with this then?

Shovas

500RPM
Premium
Apr 18, 2014
https://wj32.org/processhacker/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2925

it's a false positive and it's open source. don't trust blindly antivirus software. i'm using this tool for years. never had any problems with it.
I know antivirus will often report false positives but I get sketched out when more than a few programs, and some that are bigger names, are also reporting malware and viruses.

It's unfortunate but better safe than sorry.

That said, if enough other people I trust were to say it's safe I'd probably install it.

Reactions: GTR233

GTR233

500RPM
Jun 3, 2018
Installing Bill2's Process Manager? I thougth the PnG3 launcher offers an option to enable all cores? Although I must say it doesn't work always...
As you said that doesn't work 100% for all people

Does the +fullproc command not work with this then?
no, it doesn't work sadly

I know antivirus will often report false positives but I get sketched out when more than a few programs, and some that are bigger names, are also reporting malware and viruses.

It's unfortunate but better safe than sorry.

That said, if enough other people I trust were to say it's safe I'd probably install it.
Moreover, same problem as Bill2's Process Manager for me : it is no more updated for many years so I stick to Bitsum Process Lasso :)

Last edited:

Durge Driven

1000RPM
Jun 17, 2017
more Essential ................

Copying the exes to another location loses any admin/ compat. settings or am I missing something ?
and fresh OS resets all admin /compat ..agreed ?
Which means you have to set all admin again for all exes all over or again am I missing some windows settings ?

AppCompatibilityView (ACV) will retain settings even in empty folders
Most useful when using OVGME even more so if you do gMotor2.0 installs as a GME mod
ie: disabled the folder will be empty apart from folder template but still retain rights ;)

When you have many gMotor2.0 folders ( or anything else for that matter ) keep a up to date copy of the ACV registry then next Fresh OS, one click to import reg and you good to go ;)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags

edit:
Understand I am talking about people run many gMotor2.0 sims and folders not a few

Last edited:

Durge Driven

1000RPM
Jun 17, 2017
Ok ok
I am slightly pedantic :roflmao:
Traditional rules just ain't me :barefoot:

Unless you know a better way to remember which FOV or rain settings you have in 6 folders

Shovas

500RPM
Premium
Apr 18, 2014
Just upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64bit and these instructions worked like a charm :)

I find I only needed to set Run As Administrator, I haven't needed compatibility modes yet, but I have already done 1.1 Patch + NoCD + 4GB so one of those may be the reason.

Looks like it's going to run smoothly, no issues so far after a few laps.

Oh, also, I have found that Bill's Process Manager and Boderless Gaming are running without issues.

Last edited: