Daniel Ricciardo: The Best Overtaker in Formula One?

I don't know. He is a great driver, but most of his passes are just simply dive bombs. It's almost like he goes "OK, Fu*ck it here I go. I hope I come out the other side". There is no finesse to his passes. His pass on one of the Renaults in Melbourne during the first 3rd of the race was very impressive though.

My humble opinion is that at each time there is a great pilot overtaking, but Daniel is undoubtedly the best of his time and is included in that pack of the great.
Sorry for my bad english.

I don't know. He is a great driver, but most of his passes are just simply dive bombs. It's almost like he goes "OK, Fu*ck it here I go. I hope I come out the other side". There is no finesse to his passes. His pass on one of the Renaults in Melbourne during the first 3rd of the race was very impressive though.
Ha.. you have got to be kidding.. his passes are the definition of finesse... very rarely a locked brake.. always makes the apex.. what more do you want?

My memory reminds me the "Mansell Dummies" in overtakes but It was a long time ago..! ^^
By the way, Dany impresses me by his "finesse", as It had been wrote previously, and I love his famous "banana", this guy is cool and I appreciate his way of life. ;-)

In the context of today and all the things the drivers have now like the most amazing breaking systems, then yes he is in F1 in 2018 the best overtaker IMO.

Hamilton can look very average when the Merc isn't light years ahead of the rest can't he...

If we're going to judge Daniel's overtaking it should be based on previous races, this race is not a fair reflection. With brand new soft tires and people in front with slower hard old compounds, one would expect to pull those moves..... Unless .....

Of the current crop of drivers he certainly has the gift of being able to pull off a lovely piece of racecraft. Of course he had a slight tyre advantage so that would have given him more "feel" under braking. Beautifully done though, not a hint of a lockup.

However there is of course a certain amount of feel involved as well, If you have trust in the car that it will brake late and still remain stable that's a big plus from a mental point of view and I think the Red Bull cars seem to be great "race" cars in recent years. I have read of drivers that struggled with different brake pad material, etc. and that's understandable.

I'm not saying this because I'm British but certainly Jenson was a class act when it came to passing other cars, and he sticks in my memory as pulling off some lovely overtakes in his time in F1.

If we're going to judge Daniel's overtaking it should be based on previous races, this race is not a fair reflection. With brand new soft tires and people in front with slower hard old compounds, one would expect to pull those moves..... Unless .....

But by that logic we can't judge LH properly in the last few seasons as he and his team mates have had the best car by a mile....
As soon as LH has a car that is closer to the rest he can't cope..

He got lucky, if Bottas was 10 cm more to the right he would been called a dick-head
Brundle keeps repeating year after year that Ricciardo is the best overtaker of the grid. As far as I see Vettel has no less skill and sharpness, but I guess Brundle is more qualified :D

Ricciardo said a few days ago Bottas failed to do what he need to do to pass Vettel last GP. Today came the practical example. ^^
Martin Brundle, 9 podium finishes in 12 years of F1. For sure he would look up to Riciardo. ;)

Agree. Even though Danny is great and won the Driver of the Day, it was his ability to stay calm and grab the opportunity to drive to the win that earned him it, not that he is arguably the best overtaker. 2/3 of the grid could've done that based on overtaking skills in the same car with fresh softs on, not mentioning any of those who couldn't :p

Agree. Even though Danny is great and won the Driver of the Day, it was his ability to stay calm and grab the opportunity to drive to the win that earned him it, not that he is arguably the best overtaker. 2/3 of the grid could've done that based on overtaking skills in the same car with fresh softs on, not mentioning any of those who couldn't :p

Most of the grid could of been wining in the Merc over the last few seasons too but not many mention that when they are blowing smoke up Hamiltons arse...
If Lewis had done what Dan did the fanboys would be literally creaming themselves over his instagram page..

IMO, Ricciardo is the best overtaker CURRENTLY...... give Verstappen another year or two and he might get there. Right now though, his mastery of late braking makes him far better than most, and he is certainly capable of sticking it around the outside as well when the situation calls for it. Probably the most underrated driver in F1 as far as I'm concerned.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back