Daniel Ricciardo: The Best Overtaker in Formula One?

I am guessing by your avatar that you refer to Aryton Senna. I think you need to review this race to refresh your memory.

It all happened on the first lap.

Senna made 4 passes in wet conditions to lead the race on the second lap. An amazing example of fearless car control by a veteran driver in an era we will not see again. Senna would be killed the following year at Imola in a race that should never have been held due to the serious injury and death of two other drivers prior to race day.

Rubens Barrichello started in 12th position for the 1993 European Grand Prix, and was 4th behind Senna on that first lap.

Who should we consider the best over taker in this race?

The question here is not meant to cover the complete history of F1, that is not possible.Simply a remark on the current crop and how a few stand apart from their peers.

Arrogant presumption on your part.

Cheers

Assumption is the mother of all fcukups, goes a saying. ;)

DR is a great driver, but the hype goes a bit far when someone wins (non ferrari or merc).
Fresh tyres gives a much quicker car compared to those on old degraded ones, obviously making the overtaking much easier.

Need to keep a lid on the hype - it might go to a young driver's head if they start to think they are better than everyone else.

This is actually pretty tough to know for sure. It is quite possible that Charles LeClerc it the best overtaker, but we will never know because of the machinery he has. Not trying to take anything away from RIC (who I do happen to think is the best driver on the current grid), but we can't make a fair comparison.

This is actually pretty tough to know for sure. It is quite possible that Charles LeClerc it the best overtaker, but we will never know because of the machinery he has. Not trying to take anything away from RIC (who I do happen to think is the best driver on the current grid), but we can't make a fair comparison.
Yes, that's should make us all reconsider our beliefs. For example...
last year both FI drivers Ocon and Perez were looking like a true stars and we were all by ourselves looking for a free slot in "big3" teams for these two (maybe more for Ocon cause he's younger and as year advance he was more than a match for Perez) and look at those two this year. :confused::roflmao:
Ridiculous. Like they were replaced by faulty clones of them two. But no... we all know... it's the team (that makes you look like a star or just a wimp). Sadly.

Couldn't help it.. but there's actually one small mistake in your post though...
It's not LeClerc. It's Leclerc. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :x3:

Yes, that's should make us all reconsider our beliefs. For example...
last year both FI drivers Ocon and Perez were looking like a true stars and we were all by ourselves looking for a free slot in "big3" teams for these two (maybe more for Ocon cause he's younger and as year advance he was more than a match for Perez) and look at those two this year. :confused::roflmao:
Ridiculous. Like they were replaced by faulty clones of them two. But no... we all know... it's the team (that makes you look like a star or just a wimp). Sadly.

Couldn't help it.. but there's actually one small mistake in your post though...
It's not LeClerc. It's Leclerc. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :x3:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or complete sarcasm. Anywho. By the way, it's not Perez, but Pérez. :thumbsup:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or complete sarcasm. Anywho. By the way, it's not Perez, but Pérez. :thumbsup:
:confused:
Which part was a "complete sarcasm" !? First or the second ?
For the first part - I was totally agreed and for the second... seems to me...
you're the type who really hate to be corrected. Ok, noted. Won't make the same mistake again.

And sorry about P€rez, my keyboard doesn't have that letter. My appologies. Without a shred of sarcasm ...this time. ;)
Btw, you can't say "or complete sarcasm". Correct would be "or is it a complete sarcasm".
Ok, yes...:x3: that was me, correcting you, again. Sorry but it's the last time, I promise.

This poll confirms again the average age of its responders. Psychological, more than anything.

PS: I know it might come as a shock for most of those, but Formula 1 started midway through the 20th century. And in the case you voted yes, it's because you are either a fangirl or lacking some decades of information on the topic. And I truly hope I didn't walk all over your feelings.

And returning to that "best overtaker" thing, you might want to check out the first 5 laps of the 1993 European Grand Prix, held at Donington park, to get an idea what it should stand for.

Where does it say the question is about best overtaker ever?

It's quite obvious to everyone that it's the question of the best overtaker in current F1, well almost to everyone...

Sorry but where does this all comefrom? His win in china? This with the better tires? Did he ever win the best move of the year trophy? Is he better at the start then his team mate? Don't think so.

Sorry but where does this all comefrom? His win in china? This with the better tires? Did he ever win the best move of the year trophy? Is he better at the start then his team mate? Don't think so.

I'll make it simple for you:

P3 of on his F1 rookie year way ahead of his team mate 4 times world champion.
All the current world champions on the grid have been beaten by their team mates on the final classifications.

Daniel has been so far way better than any of his team mates in the end, so that tells you he his obviously the best of the grid.

Now go and do your research...

Last edited:
Ricardo was beaten fair and square in 2015 by:
Daniel Kivyat

The hype is ridiculous sometimes; great driver as mentioned but definitely not the best F1 driver.
Has been left behind by young Verstappen in a number of races.

Ricardo was beaten fair and square in 2015 by:
Daniel Kivyat

The hype is ridiculous sometimes; great driver as mentioned but definitely not the best F1 driver.
Has been left behind by young Verstappen in a number of races.

You must be joking!!! Beaten by who???? What championship positions have those 2 torpedos achieved so far???
Anyone can drive as fast as a torpedo but it takes much more than that to be the best!
But hey nice effort for a Maldonado fan though loll

L0l, really... theTorpedo was indeed better than Riccardo in 2015.
I almost forgot that. Actually...:x3: scratch that, I totally did forgot. :D
Surprise, surprise... :rolleyes:

Over taking that way you should be fully alongside well before the apex (so the opponent can see your there) and in complete control of your car so you can hold your line. Verstappen was a little too late to pull that move off but I like his aggression. Ricciardo made some fine overtakes but not really the best of all time.

Lolllll...I was waiting impatiently for this answer!!
Kivyat...thanks to some guys we won't forget your 95 points record!

The point he was making is that you said every champion has been beaten at least once by a team mate, of which alonso only by button in a disaster mclaren year and even with hamilton in 2007 and hamilton by button at mclaren at some point, but as you can see ricciardo isn't immune to this either.

The point he was making is that you said every champion has been beaten at least once by a team mate, of which alonso only by button in a disaster mclaren year and even with hamilton in 2007 and hamilton by button at mclaren at some point, but as you can see ricciardo isn't immune to this either.

Kivyat has been demoted by his own team so that says it all. Thanks for the hint though

Maybe the question should have read "Current" drivers.
Some here are looking back to when my grandmother was still a virgin to answer this. What they aren't considering is these aren't cars off 1855. They are cars off today and you can't in any realistic view compare cars or drivers.

Dive bomber??? are you F'n joking!!
These cars are close, to close to overtake by pure power alone. 90% off overtaking is done by out braking. First you need to get your car on their tail. Fresh tyres, more grip, better braking performance. Then better corner exit. All goes to make a great passing maneuver
. maneuver
  1. 1.
    a movement or series of moves requiring skill and care. (And fresher tyres)
I'm not going to say Ricciardo is or isn't the best over taker because under the right conditions every driver in the field are capable of out braking their opponents to pass them.
Again remembering that at the moment Red Bull cars are under powered compared to Ferrari and Mercedes. So like I said earlier, First you need to get close enough to even try a over take. Both RB drivers have to be more aggressive in their driving just to keep up!

So much for smart racing fans. To many comments here show the opposite.

This poll confirms again the average age of its responders. Psychological, more than anything.

PS: I know it might come as a shock for most of those, but Formula 1 started midway through the 20th century. And in the case you voted yes, it's because you are either a fangirl or lacking some decades of information on the topic. And I truly hope I didn't walk all over your feelings.

And returning to that "best overtaker" thing, you might want to check out the first 5 laps of the 1993 European Grand Prix, held at Donington park, to get an idea what it should stand for.
Orrrr you cast yes to say you think he is the best in the current grid at the moment.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.