Daniel Ricciardo: The Best Overtaker in Formula One?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Daniel Ricciardo Best Overtaker.jpg

Daniel Ricciardo once again performed exceptionally in China to win the Chinese Grand Prix. Has the Australian proven himself to be the best overtaker in Grand Prix racing?

Pretty much established as last of the late brakers and completely without fear, Ricciardo showed true class again as he fought back to win the Chinese Grand Prix, bravely sweeping past his rivals to take the freshly shot Red Bull to what ending up as an easy victory ahead of Valtteri Bottas and Kimi Räikkönen.

Ricciardo often fights past his rivals on track, and now I'm beginning to wonder if the 28-year-old Australian has become the best overtaker in Grand Prix racing. Would you agree?

If you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think Ricciardo is the finest overtaker in Formula One? Let us know your opinion in the comments section below!

He has the ability to make you think you are totally safe but when it comes to a tight corner you will find him braking later than you and sticking it up the inside that takes balls of steel to do that, in some ways it reminds me of the F1 Legend, Ayrton Senna for taking the car to the limits to get past someone on the track

This poll confirms again the average age of its responders. Psychological, more than anything.

PS: I know it might come as a shock for most of those, but Formula 1 started midway through the 20th century. And in the case you voted yes, it's because you are either a fangirl or lacking some decades of information on the topic. And I truly hope I didn't walk all over your feelings.

And returning to that "best overtaker" thing, you might want to check out the first 5 laps of the 1993 European Grand Prix, held at Donington park, to get an idea what it should stand for.

Last edited:
yes, but then most people can't overtake at the moment and those that do seem to keep crashing into each other.

I think Ricciardo is a very good driver for sure. Perhaps he's not at the Hamilton/Alonso natural talent level, but he still finds himself at the sharp end of the race very frequently due primarily via his passing acumen. I think what is remarkable about Ricciardo is the extent he is capable of getting "in the zone" where it seems like every move he makes is gold. Really, really fun to watch during those moments!!!

Ill admit it was great to watch, but at the same time risky and was some of the best dive bombs ive seen.
The real star was the late safety car and redbulls quick reaction to bring both cars in.
Without those fresh tires there was no way he could have pulled off those hail mary's.

Can't wait to join a public server today and see how many people attempt those moves lol

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 92 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 9.9%
  • €3001-5000