Daniel Ricciardo: The Best Overtaker in Formula One?

I guess Vettel left him more than enough room, since he overshot the turn. Quite clear to see as well.

Plus. Since you describe it as 'Vettel had to give Verstappen more room', I call it a retarded divebomb and he's too eager to get results.
Talking in general you wombat - do not dislike comments if you do not understand them

The key with RIC is that he seems to pick the "right" moment. Sure you got to give credit to the other drivers giving just enough room when RIC gets a sniff, but he gets on the brakes so late and deep but manages to keep the car completely under control. I can't think of a time when he has gone in, locked up the fronts and pushed another car wide.

Who comes up with this clickbait nonsense? That was a good overtake, but quite far from the "best ever".
Where did you read that an overtake todaywas a "best ever"?

The article simply asks if Ricciardo currently is the best overtaker in F1.

In my humble opinion he is. Drivers like Bottas are good, but too careful when overtaking. Have a look at his "attacks" vs Vettel in Bahrain.
Ricciardo showed his ability to overtake over the past years.
If a battle emerges he wont wait too long to attack. He attacks and it works. First try. Most of the time its ambitious but barely doable. If he goes for an overtake he wont redecide suddenly. He just goes for it and it works.

Max is nice, because hell always try to overtake no matter what. Differemce between him and ricciardo is that Ricciardo always gets it done and only attacks when he is sure. Max is overambitious, at least its entertaining.

Seb, Kimi and Alonso are great overtakers aswell.

Id say Ricciardo is the best, followed by Alonso and Seb.

On good days its Verstappen

Talking in general you wombat - do not dislike comments if you do not understand them

Wow. It's already getting personal, because getting disliked is not cool, 'so I'll dislike you back, just because I can.'
It's fine if you talk in general, and I understand that, but I thought you were referring to my post above, about Verstappen and the China GP. In racing it's all about giving each other room.

• ronniej

Somehow I ended up watching F1 vids from the 70's 80's 90's on youtube late last night and must have watched for 3-4 hrs.....There is nothing that hasn't been done waaaaay more spectacular already.

*Awful subject to bring up if we can't post vids in threads other than video section though. Certainly not any "best of" topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ricciardo knows how to overtake. It's as simple as that. He dares to break as late as possible and that's how he overtakes so many. No BS like his teammate does so often.

I wouldn't go that far as to say he's the best 'over-taker' in F1.
I will say this though...When given the chance to, he generally does not squander the opportunity.
He certainly knows how to get the ol' Aussie elbows out and keep them out.

I wish people can already stop comparing "'70, '80 and '90 F1" with today's F1.
It's almost totally different sport, different tires, different engines, different cars, different drivers, different... and what's most importantly - different rules.
Dan is great overtaker - of today's F1.
How would he handle "'70, '80, '90 F1" - I don't know.
But it really doesn't matter.
Dan is fun. :laugh::thumbsup:

I think Ricciardo is able to read the situation better than any other driver. Overtaking is really difficult this year and therefore inherently risky.

Instead of just forcing gaps that aren't there Ricciardo identifies and creates opportunities where he has a small speed advantage and then takes just enough risk to scare his opponent and make the move effective and beneficial from a risk-reward-perspective. It helps a lot that he seems to know exactly how much speed he can take through an off-line trajectory and can judge braking very well.

Overtaking is an art, but not the Damien Hirst kind of one without any skill involved. There is real craftsmanship needed and you have to consider what the situation allows for. When people asked Michelangelo how he made the David sculpture so beautiful, he allegedly said: "The sculture has always been there. I just had to free it from the superfluous stone."

Last edited:
Brundle keeps repeating year after year that Ricciardo is the best overtaker of the grid. As far as I see Vettel has no less skill and sharpness, but I guess Brundle is more qualified :D

Ricciardo said a few days ago Bottas failed to do what he need to do to pass Vettel last GP. Today came the practical example. ^^

• ronniej

I wish people can already stop comparing "'70, '80 and '90 F1" with today's F1.
It's almost totally different sport, different tires, different engines, different cars, different drivers, different... and what's most importantly - different rules.
Dan is great overtaker - of today's F1.
How would he handle "'70, '80, '90 F1" - I don't know.
But it really doesn't matter.
Dan is fun. :laugh::thumbsup:
Oh, "today's F1". It wasn't specific but one would assume I guess......Well I'm an old grumpy fart , I'm sorry dear.

Are we just going to keep ignoring the near 2 seconds worth of extra tyre grip?

RIC is a master at picking the right moment and not screwing up once he commits but the plunges are possible only because he is basically driving in a different world at that moment.

None of these overtakes are comparable to pre-Pirelli era ones.

What's great about driving by a car with done tyres (compared to yours) then out braking it?
Great call by his team to call him in when they did, but really...everyone else fecked up.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%