Build 2 of Assetto Corsa Competizione Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizione has been updated! Build 2 brings with it a new car, track, VR and plenty of improvements too...

Pretty much every sim racing fan who lives in a world of internet connection and passing interest in our hobby will be aware that Assetto Corsa Competizione is a thing, and by the same token I'm sure they probably know that today is patch day. With that in mind, and following an unbelievably strange day that kept me from the laptop (and the ACC update) until almost midnight, let's have a look at the update notes and see what's new.

Oh, and sorry for the late posting... :)

ACC Screenshot 0.2  (11).png
ACC Screenshot 0.2  (13).png

Assetto Corsa Competizione Update 2 Build Notes:
  • Fixed “No VR no buy”
  • New first-gen Bentley Continental GT3
  • New Misano Circuit
  • Aero: Non circulatory lift implemented
  • Setup UI and logic changes to accomodate a big number of damper clicks
  • Hotlap has fixed fuel load (10L). Also fuel load slider is not available in UI in hotlap sessions
  • Bumpstop telemetry graphs in setup mechanical balance screen
  • Fixes and fine tuning in setup aero screen
  • Decimal numbers in front aero variation values
  • Code for realistic (displayed) brake bias values
  • Brake bias variation now possible in decimal numbers
  • Fine tuning on preset setups
  • Setup name now shown on top screen title
  • Setup name adds an asterisk when user changes setup values, indicating saving is needed.
  • UI warning when users tries to load a different setup, or a preset, indicating that you might lose your setup changes if any
  • Setup protection against out of limits values
  • Setup Input/Output filtering for car and circuit
  • Setup navigation fixes
  • Fine tuning of Huracan suspension geometry and dampers
  • Fine tuning of tyre model camber gain, IMO heat range, and more
  • FFB option screen new sliders: dynamic damper, road effects
  • controls.json extra FFB values. minDamper, damperGain
  • Stability control is now using different logic
  • Reworked driver steering animation
  • Adjusted safety net position in the Lamborghini Huracán GT3
  • Added driver assets for the teams featured
  • Adjusted water spray effects in the night
  • Nurburgring fixes and improvements
  • Added HUD option for speed unit toggle
  • Added timetables to pause menu & post-session
  • Added sharpness option to video settings
  • Added pitch angle adjustment to camera settings
  • Added Save, Cancel, Defaults and Quit buttons to camera settings
  • Proximity indicator toggle in HUD options
  • Added Sprint Race Weekend and Hotlap Superpole in Game Mode options
  • Track selection page navigation fixes
  • Fixed bug when loading the last gamemode settings
  • Added auto engine start
  • Added auto pitlimiter
  • Fixed Pitlimiter issue with pitlimiter lights on toggle
  • Added multiple starting lights logic
  • Added pitstop logic (basic) for humam and AI
  • Added Sprint race weekend system
  • Practice and Qualify Overtime has a max time of 3 minutes
  • Controller page: Starter, Look functions and Shift can’t be set as advanced
  • Fixed engine forced shut off when return on track after setup changes
  • Fixed wrong weather key on json
  • Fixed weather selection on UI not reset after a special event
  • Added New camera sequence for Full formation lap
  • Tweaked Marshal system to avoid false spline recognition
  • Added logic for flags when in entry and exit lane (slower speed are allowed without raising any flag)
  • Reworked steer scale/steer inverted control options
  • Removed confusing ghost car time references in the gui
  • Added base version of end session highlights
  • Fixed music still on after cliking drive or restarting
  • Audio engine optimizations
  • Added superpole/pitwindow/hotstint event spotter
  • Fixed double engine start inside the reverb zone
  • Minor tweaks for tyres scrub sound on dry and wet conditions
  • Fixed clicks in particular camera switches
  • Fixed pit alarm sound for Nürburgring
  • Minor tweaks for crowd and track speakers distance attenuation
  • Fixed announcer voice stops after some minutes
  • Fixed bodywork noise entering the setup page
  • Removed the possibility to change lights/wiper stage in the replay
  • Fixed mirror visibility in the replay
  • Added current session time, car lap time, valid lap and fuel for replay
  • Slow Motion now affects the entire world
  • Fixed slow motion pause state for replay hud
  • Stability control is now less performant with steering wheel to avoid being used as illegal aid
ACC Screenshot 0.2  (14).png
ACC Screenshot 0.2  (17a.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

What do you think of the new build? Happy with the latest ACC update? Does VR work well for you? What do you most like from the new change log? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more bud. I don't see how this feels anything like RF2. This is somewhere between AC and nowhere right now.

That's why i didn't want to open the can of worms. It'll always be a subjective thing, beginning with the fact we're running different hardware with different settings
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
That bottlenecking site should only be used as a very loose guide to what might be limiting your frames. In reality each game uses CPU and GPU differently, with ACC (and AC for that matter) very heavy on the CPU when running AI races with large grids. That sort of CPU usage is uncommon for most games which are generally GPU bound, even on older i5s, so in reality you'll be hitting a CPU bottleneck quicker in ACC than many other titles, thus requiring a better CPU than might otherwise be recommended there.

ACCs CPU usage will no doubt be optimised as EA progresses along, but it's just something to note for now.
If my CPU in ACC was at 35% usage and the GPU was at 100% usage on both GPU1 and 2 (being the GTX 690)...is my CPU not working as hard at 35% as the GPU is at 100%?

For anyone dismayed with the vr, give this a go. You wont be disappointed, completely transformed the game for me. I am using a creaky old 2500k @4.5 and an msi 1080 armor. I went for TAA Epic by the way.

UE4 sharpening Filter:

(Thanks goes to "Georg Ortner" for sharing this on his Twitter Page! https://twitter.com/6e66o/status/1040526664680255490 )

The ingame sharpening filter in the options menu doesn't work in VR.

There is the possibility to at an sharpening filter manually in to UE4 games.
Make sure you can see hidden folders!!

Go to:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

and edit:
Engine.ini

(Set TAA to 'Epic or High' ingame for this to work properly. Edit Tonemapper.Sharpen how you like it.)

Place this in the Engine.ini file below everything else:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4

For anyone dismayed with the vr, give this a go. You wont be disappointed, completely transformed the game for me. I am using a creaky old 2500k @4.5 and an msi 1080 armor. I went for TAA Epic by the way.

UE4 sharpening Filter:

(Thanks goes to "Georg Ortner" for sharing this on his Twitter Page! https://twitter.com/6e66o/status/1040526664680255490 )

The ingame sharpening filter in the options menu doesn't work in VR.

There is the possibility to at an sharpening filter manually in to UE4 games.
Make sure you can see hidden folders!!

Go to:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

and edit:
Engine.ini

(Set TAA to 'Epic or High' ingame for this to work properly. Edit Tonemapper.Sharpen how you like it.)

Place this in the Engine.ini file below everything else:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4

Dude... this seems to work great! thank you

If my CPU in ACC was at 35% usage and the GPU was at 100% usage on both GPU1 and 2 (being the GTX 690)...is my CPU not working as hard at 35% as the GPU is at 100%?

The problem with the bottleneck calculator site is that all CPU cores are summed up, when in reality most games depend on single core speed. Clock for clock per core an i5 or i7 6th/7th/8th gen are all equal and even older generations like 3rd and 4th gen are only around 25% behind. So in reality you don't gain as much from CPU upgrade as that site may suggest. And yes, 35% CPU usage is very low for this game.

That's why i didn't want to open the can of worms. It'll always be a subjective thing, beginning with the fact we're running different hardware with different settings
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Objectively you can tell how good a sim is from the telemetry output. Given the planned telemetry features of this game, we'll soon be able to tell.

Besides that, I'll wait for a pro driver to try the release version in a motion rig. Opinions of pro GT drivers I have had contact with are cautiously optimistic so far.

The problem with the bottleneck calculator site is that all CPU cores are summed up, when in reality most games depend on single core speed. Clock for clock per core an i5 or i7 6th/7th/8th gen are all equal and even older generations like 3rd and 4th gen are only around 25% behind. So in reality you don't gain as much from CPU upgrade as that site may suggest. And yes, 35% CPU usage is very low for this game.
Thanks for taking the time to reply...Does that 35% mean my CPU is not being worked very hard and there is still 65% head room remaining.?

Disappointing build. Runs even slower now.
Car and track are boring.

Graphics remain the same, but great graphics never sold an average sim.

Optimisation has to be the next priority or they are seriously limiting their potential sales.

You have bought into a very early access title at a much cheaper price than what it will be at 1.0. As a result you have to expect some performance issues as optimisation doesn't come until much later in the development cycle as there's little use optimising a game that is still waiting for some features and content to be added. You have a reason to complain if it's still the same at 1.0, but for now Kunos are undoubtedly busy with other important aspects of ACC's development.

Thanks for taking the time to reply...Does that 35% mean my CPU is not being worked very hard and there is still 65% head room remaining.?

This is a GPU bottleneck, which is honestly preferable as if you're not happy with your fps and graphics settings, you can be certain a new GPU will improve your performance. Assuming you have plenty of overhead on each of your worked threads on your CPU (it is important to monitor per thread usage with games as many do not use more than four threads, meaning a game will hit a CPU bottleneck before it reports 100% overall usage), you will see benefit from swapping out your GPU.

On my CPU a single-thread executable uses 13% running flat out - so that would be three threads running flat out, and the only way I'd get more performance would be to raise the overclock. Unfortunately it's not easy to say if there's 65% more performance available to you without knowing the details of your rig, and what you used to measure your performance.

This is a GPU bottleneck, which is honestly preferable as if you're not happy with your fps and graphics settings, you can be certain a new GPU will improve your performance. Assuming you have plenty of overhead on each of your worked threads on your CPU (it is important to monitor per thread usage with games as many do not use more than four threads, meaning a game will hit a CPU bottleneck before it reports 100% overall usage), you will see benefit from swapping out your GPU.
On my CPU a single-thread executable uses 13% running flat out - so that would be three threads running flat out, and the only way I'd get more performance would be to raise the overclock. Unfortunately it's not easy to say if there's 65% more performance available to you without knowing the details of your rig, and what you used to measure your performance.
Thanks for the tech tips...I measured it with MSI Afterburner (see screenshot below at 51% CPU)...it fluctuated wildly.
ACC at 45% CPU copy.jpg

ACC at 51% CPU copy.jpg

Objectively you can tell how good a sim is from the telemetry output. Given the planned telemetry features of this game, we'll soon be able to tell.

Besides that, I'll wait for a pro driver to try the release version in a motion rig. Opinions of pro GT drivers I have had contact with are cautiously optimistic so far.

Telemetry may be one part of it, but what it can't tell you is how good or bad it feels in your own hands. I wonder what telemetry data says about PC2, because I know it feels awful in my hands, so even if telemetry said it's spot on, I won't play it again.
Same goes for Pro drivers. Nikki Thim lives and dies for iRacing and I don't think he's ever even tried rF2. All I know is rF2 is my favorite sim and iRacing is not for me. I try all the games, if the game feels good and realistic to me based on my limited experience and i have fun, I'll play it, no matter what others say.

Telemetry may be one part of it, but what it can't tell you is how good or bad it feels in your own hands. I wonder what telemetry data says about PC2, because I know it feels awful in my hands, so even if telemetry said it's spot on, I won't play it again.
Same goes for Pro drivers. Nikki Thim lives and dies for iRacing and I don't think he's ever even tried rF2. All I know is rF2 is my favorite sim and iRacing is not for me. I try all the games, ff the game feels good and realistic to me based on my limited experience and i have fun, I'll play it, no matter what others say.

I did mention objectivity - telemetry output is an objective measurement of the underlying sim. I'm trying to avoid mentioning what the telemetry output of current sims is really like here because that really will start a war.

That won't measure FFB feel, for instance which is a major part of it for those of us not blessed with motion rigs, but that is a very subjective area. I think iRacing feels like garbage subjectively ( ignoring any objective opinion on the tyres ), it's obvious other people think it's fantastic.Nicki plays iR not because the sim is any good, but because there's always someone to race - that has it's merits for me too, but I don't really enjoy driving cars in it, certainly not as much as the experience of driving in AC.

I'll keep persisting with trying to figure this out, it seems in definitely not the only one who is unable to hit 90fps no matter the settings with a beefy computer. Even seen guys with 2080ti having problems, so something is definitely going eskew. I'm sure eventually Kunos will figure it out or some magic setting will resolve the issue.

Game runs mint on triples with the 2080 but yeah absolutely unplayable in VR.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%