Build 2 of Assetto Corsa Competizione Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizione has been updated! Build 2 brings with it a new car, track, VR and plenty of improvements too...

Pretty much every sim racing fan who lives in a world of internet connection and passing interest in our hobby will be aware that Assetto Corsa Competizione is a thing, and by the same token I'm sure they probably know that today is patch day. With that in mind, and following an unbelievably strange day that kept me from the laptop (and the ACC update) until almost midnight, let's have a look at the update notes and see what's new.

Oh, and sorry for the late posting... :)

ACC Screenshot 0.2  (11).png
ACC Screenshot 0.2  (13).png

Assetto Corsa Competizione Update 2 Build Notes:
  • Fixed “No VR no buy”
  • New first-gen Bentley Continental GT3
  • New Misano Circuit
  • Aero: Non circulatory lift implemented
  • Setup UI and logic changes to accomodate a big number of damper clicks
  • Hotlap has fixed fuel load (10L). Also fuel load slider is not available in UI in hotlap sessions
  • Bumpstop telemetry graphs in setup mechanical balance screen
  • Fixes and fine tuning in setup aero screen
  • Decimal numbers in front aero variation values
  • Code for realistic (displayed) brake bias values
  • Brake bias variation now possible in decimal numbers
  • Fine tuning on preset setups
  • Setup name now shown on top screen title
  • Setup name adds an asterisk when user changes setup values, indicating saving is needed.
  • UI warning when users tries to load a different setup, or a preset, indicating that you might lose your setup changes if any
  • Setup protection against out of limits values
  • Setup Input/Output filtering for car and circuit
  • Setup navigation fixes
  • Fine tuning of Huracan suspension geometry and dampers
  • Fine tuning of tyre model camber gain, IMO heat range, and more
  • FFB option screen new sliders: dynamic damper, road effects
  • controls.json extra FFB values. minDamper, damperGain
  • Stability control is now using different logic
  • Reworked driver steering animation
  • Adjusted safety net position in the Lamborghini Huracán GT3
  • Added driver assets for the teams featured
  • Adjusted water spray effects in the night
  • Nurburgring fixes and improvements
  • Added HUD option for speed unit toggle
  • Added timetables to pause menu & post-session
  • Added sharpness option to video settings
  • Added pitch angle adjustment to camera settings
  • Added Save, Cancel, Defaults and Quit buttons to camera settings
  • Proximity indicator toggle in HUD options
  • Added Sprint Race Weekend and Hotlap Superpole in Game Mode options
  • Track selection page navigation fixes
  • Fixed bug when loading the last gamemode settings
  • Added auto engine start
  • Added auto pitlimiter
  • Fixed Pitlimiter issue with pitlimiter lights on toggle
  • Added multiple starting lights logic
  • Added pitstop logic (basic) for humam and AI
  • Added Sprint race weekend system
  • Practice and Qualify Overtime has a max time of 3 minutes
  • Controller page: Starter, Look functions and Shift can’t be set as advanced
  • Fixed engine forced shut off when return on track after setup changes
  • Fixed wrong weather key on json
  • Fixed weather selection on UI not reset after a special event
  • Added New camera sequence for Full formation lap
  • Tweaked Marshal system to avoid false spline recognition
  • Added logic for flags when in entry and exit lane (slower speed are allowed without raising any flag)
  • Reworked steer scale/steer inverted control options
  • Removed confusing ghost car time references in the gui
  • Added base version of end session highlights
  • Fixed music still on after cliking drive or restarting
  • Audio engine optimizations
  • Added superpole/pitwindow/hotstint event spotter
  • Fixed double engine start inside the reverb zone
  • Minor tweaks for tyres scrub sound on dry and wet conditions
  • Fixed clicks in particular camera switches
  • Fixed pit alarm sound for Nürburgring
  • Minor tweaks for crowd and track speakers distance attenuation
  • Fixed announcer voice stops after some minutes
  • Fixed bodywork noise entering the setup page
  • Removed the possibility to change lights/wiper stage in the replay
  • Fixed mirror visibility in the replay
  • Added current session time, car lap time, valid lap and fuel for replay
  • Slow Motion now affects the entire world
  • Fixed slow motion pause state for replay hud
  • Stability control is now less performant with steering wheel to avoid being used as illegal aid
ACC Screenshot 0.2  (14).png
ACC Screenshot 0.2  (17a.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

What do you think of the new build? Happy with the latest ACC update? Does VR work well for you? What do you most like from the new change log? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
VR implementation is good for an EA title at this stage, it works which is a lot more than can be said about other so called VR Supported Games on Steam (not necessarily Sims).

I got used to the lack of Mouse support fairly quickly and don't see it as a massive issue but I would prefer Mouse/Keyboard support for VR, I have wireless devices so it's fairly easy for me to use but the Buttons approach for now is alright.

I played with graphics settings and cured the blurriness somewhat and it runs fairly well on my low-spec VR machine, I may struggle with a Full Grid and perhaps Rain but that's my issue not Kunos'. Of course that being said some optimisation along the way would always be welcome.

As for the Bentley & Misano they are both very good, the sound of the Bentley is terrific and the layout of Misano offers more than the boring (IMO!) Nurburgring. Once I tweak the graphical settings a bit more and find a the right balance I'll have a proper go with this car at this track.

FFB seems to of been improved, I'm not sure how much of this is down to the placebo effect of running 0.1 on a Flat Screen then 0.2 in VR, I'm convinced VR opens your senses more and this may have that placebo effect on FFB. Either way it feels a bit better but like graphics I need to find the right settings and balance before committing to an overall assumption.

I've not touched the new Events yet, when the above tweaking is done I may have a play around with them, I notice no AI improvements in the Build Notes so I can only hope that is to come further into EA as right now they simply OK....nothing more nothing less.

Overall 0.2 has left me impressed after the initial first impressions last night, the Kunos lads (and lasses?!) work tremendously hard for their love of creating something for us and I am eternally grateful for that, looking forward to future Fixes and then 0.3.

The drying track hotstint is great in VR, feeling the car move around on the early wet track and how the grip improves as the track dries out, then the understeer as the tyres get too hot later on.

One VR effect that is noticeable is how the Bentley rolls into the apex of the corners where there is a real height difference between the outer part of the track and the apex, that feels so good like the car is being pulled toward the apex.

Using ASW locked 45fps and supersampling 2.0 via Oculus Tool Tray is getting the best visual result for me. I'm impressed with how the feel and feedback through the wheel have improved too - so good to hear the traction control working overtime in the wet conditions and feel the effects through the wheel too.

The FFB is definitely better now. One thing that I still think is odd, is that at low speeds the FFB still doesn't react much. For example, when you are stopped and you floor the gas in 1st gear, the wheels spin (a bit) and the car (visually) twists / oversteers, however the forces through the wheel are pretty minimal. Comparing to AC, the forces here in a similar situation are much stronger.

I played last night in VR and it was great,

But today (I suspect) I made the mistake of starting it straight from the desktop icon, which took me in in non-VR mode. Exited, then went back in VR mode.

But now the OSD in race is messed up, with messages appearing incorrectly in the right eye and moving around with me, quite unpleasant.

Also I'm not sure about their safety rating idea, with your online safety rating being affected by racing the AI.

They think their AI are consistent, stick to the racing line and are predictable.

I think they're blind maniacs who deliberately ram me and move into me in the middle of the straight. Also in night conditions and heavy rain they were braking randomly in the middle of straights.

Very interesting site...thanks for sharing...had a go at my system specs....looks like I'm screwed...lol

View attachment 273684

....I was going to invest in a new RTX 2080...looks like I'm also screwed doing this...lol

View attachment 273686

I tried Botteneck site. You might (or not) be interested in this result:
Graphic card and processor will work great together
Core i7-3770 (Clock speed at 100%) with GeForce GTX 1060 5GB (Clock speed at 100%) x1 will produce only 0.07% of bottleneck.

My combination is Core i5_6500 with GeForce GTX 1060 6B = 8.44% (but its under 10% so I received a pass mark).

I am not suggesting you downgrade to GTX 1060 6B but I found it interesting. Good news that it runs perfectly well in ACC.

The FFB is definitely better now. One thing that I still think is odd, is that at low speeds the FFB still doesn't react much. For example, when you are stopped and you floor the gas in 1st gear, the wheels spin (a bit) and the car (visually) twists / oversteers, however the forces through the wheel are pretty minimal. Comparing to AC, the forces here in a similar situation are much stronger.

I suppose that's the dynamic dampening.. Maybe try to play with that.

That bottlenecking site should only be used as a very loose guide to what might be limiting your frames. In reality each game uses CPU and GPU differently, with ACC (and AC for that matter) very heavy on the CPU when running AI races with large grids. That sort of CPU usage is uncommon for most games which are generally GPU bound, even on older i5s, so in reality you'll be hitting a CPU bottleneck quicker in ACC than many other titles, thus requiring a better CPU than might otherwise be recommended there.

ACCs CPU usage will no doubt be optimised as EA progresses along, but it's just something to note for now.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.1%