Anybody figured out how the AI works? There is no difficulty settings but it appears it auto tunes the other drivers performances based on my previous efforts on selected tracks?

I am 10 races in to my first WRC season. Used to win stages easilly and sometimes afford a reset or two on longer stages but now I do almost flawless stages if a bit on the safe side and sometimes find myself in 4th position. From winning rallys easy sometimes with a minute to spare I won two by a whopping second and lost one by 0,5. And had a real disaster at Mexico with a 5th place.

So wonder if the AI will just continue adjust trying to keep the top guys on my top times or if they will just get harder and harder for every new season? Test drive seem to be a race trying to see what my performance was and adjust the career settings on that?

i don't think it's as complicated as measuring your performance, i think the times you are faced with just gradually get more and more difficult to beat, probably season by season. try running some of the online challenges to see how you measure up against real life players. if you stay at more or less the same level there while losing time in the career mode the ai times have indeed gotten harder to beat.

With the final stage of the eSports series done two weeks ago, the eight finalists and the schedule have been announced today. Participation overall wasn't quite what i would have expected, we started with 844 players for the first round, hit a low of 315 in poland and finished with 347 players in finland. of the four teams assembled, only two really showed up, so that did not quite work out as well.
still, i loved the competition even though i was usually among the lowest 20% of the players since many stages for new for me, but i finally managed to play every "epic" stage in the game, thx to the event. bring on wrc08 and the next esports season!

from the wrc homepage:
The culmination of a season of fierce competition in the eSports WRC Championship will take place at ADAC Rallye Deutschland on Saturday (18 August) night.

Eight top-flight gamers will compete in the grand final at the rally’s Bostalsee service park after fighting through 13 qualifying rounds. They will be joined by the wild card winner of the German final which takes place at Bostalsee on Friday night.

The qualifiers are headed by Hungarian driver WEC SUBEE203, who claimed five wins and 10 podiums in the regular season to top the rankings. Subee finished fourth in the 2017 final.

Second ranked was Frenchman TX3 NEXL, who lifted the 2017 title, followed by real-life rally driver WED JON ARMSTRONG. The Ulsterman tackled two WRC 2 rounds last year in a Ford Fiesta R5.

The other finalists are MIHALUR (Finland), CAR JONNO (Britain), TX3 RARES (Romania), WED GREEKMAN (Greece) and TX3 GTKRYSPAPL (Poland).

Players face two qualifying phases, each comprising three special stages. The finalists will be trimmed to six after the initial three tests and will be further whittled down to four after the second phase.

The top four will compete over three more stages before the world champion is crowned. The winner will drive away in a Hyundai i20 coupé road car worth 20,000 euros.

The championship is organised by WRC Promoter, Bigben Interactive and Kylotonn Games and played on WRC 7, the official game of the FIA World Rally Championship.

Fans can enjoy the action from both finals on WRC All Live (see below). Coverage of the German final begins at 17.30 on Friday with the world final starting at 19.14 on Saturday.

Personally I enjoy WRC 7 and I'm interested to see what's next for the series.

Rumours I've heard so far are as follows:

Kylotonn games (the dev) lost the WRC license - hence why they released V-Rally 4 this year instead.

Rather than a whole new WRC game, "they" will release the WRC 2018 season as a DLC expansion for the current WC 7 game. Big patch.

Codemasters have acquired the WRC licence and will be announcing a new WRC game very soon.

What are your thoughts and hopes here?

it would fit with
a) codemasters being nearly dead on the subject of dirt4, they published and slambam lost interest, except for one tournament run this spring
b) codemasters already owning two FIA licences and doing an ace job on the f1 game (don't own it but watched my son play and it looks awesome)
c) with rallyx, fia rally and the two support series and hiopefully another iteration of their hillclimb from DirtRally they would really cover a lot of ground

I don't think the physics are bad at all. But FFB is less than stellar

RBR isn't comparable really, the cars are from completely different era and style. These cars have modern aero, generating lot of downforce. They are easy to drive, compared to what cars RBR has and should be.

What about the cars movement is exactly wrong? It might not be exact same, but behaves very similarly.

Certainly better physics that Dirt 4. Weight shift (suspension load, and it's effect on rotating the car) works like it should, just the FFB doesn't communicate things that well (lack of SAT, overdone effects when hitting a bump.. the latter came with "update" they did)

Last edited:
i beg to differ, dirt rally was great on snow and on gravel and the tracks were modelled after real life stages, pity the physics of dirt04 (which i actually still play and enjoy) were so much worse on the g27, but they have shown with dirt rally they can pull off a genuine rally game just like in the mcrae titles (which i loved).

A rally game is one thing
A rally sim is a complete different thing

Codemasters are a great arcade developer but they have no skill nor will for a true sim.

I wish for a new dedicated rally sim developer ala Kunos !

Last edited:
I think a wrc game from codemasters would be great, dirt4 was good and fun to play personally overall its a good game and it is something that can be enjoyed by everyone, unless your one of these people who refuse to play anything but a "sim"

They do a good job with their f1 games which would like others have said probably go in their favour for getting the licence from the FIA to make the WRC games.

Also another thing to add is Codemasters racing titles have come on leaps and bounds since the GRID days when they were a laughing stock in most online communities that had anything to do with sim racing. Probably due to the fact that they have people onboard from evolution studios who (correct me if im wrong) made the original WRC 1,2,3,4 and 5 on ps2)

A rally game is one thing
A rally sim is a complete different thing

Codemasters are a great arcade developer but they have no skill nor will for a true sim.

I wish for a new dedicated rally developer ala Kunos !

Thats because with the likes of F1 being an FIA series the FIA will want their official game to sell well, and we all know a simcade or arcade racer sells many more copies than a true sim, which is probably why you get sims like iracing and rfactor getting licences for individual F1 cars so they can show what they can do with a "true to life" simulation of an F1 car. Plus we all know how hard a real F1 sim would be due to the fact of teams not wanting to give out crucial data on their cars etc that they work so hard to keep secret

Why gamers like tarmac racing more than gravel racing is beyond me !

There has got to be a Gazillion racing games with tarmac only racing and comparatively just a few with loose surface racing.

Surely loose surface racing is more graphically appealing and challenging with all the jumps and acrobatics but tarmac racing is still more profitable !

I mean who doesn't like cars that flies ?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

Votes: 114 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,069 90.4%
Back