VR and Bentley... New Assetto Corsa Competizione Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Bentley 2.jpg

Ahead of the big VR, Bentley and Misano "EA Release 2" for ACC, Kunos Simulazioni have released a few very nice teaser images from the upcoming content release...

With only two short days left to wait for the first major content update for Assetto Corsa Competizione, Kunos Simulazioni have released a nice set of rather attractive preview images in the form of some stunning shots of the mega Bentley Continental GT3 and Misano Circuit, the two major new pieces of content set to hit ACC this October 10th.

Slightly more difficult to reflect in screenshot form, the new release scheduled for this Wednesday will also be notable for the first pass at supporting Virtual Reality (VR) in the sim - a very exciting development for ACC, and something that is sure to please quite a few of the sim racing community (myself included).

Of course this is the first update for ACC since the game deployed into the public realm via Steam Early Access back in September, and it will be interesting to see what other tweaks, improvements and features Kunos can add to an already very impressive simulation in the four weeks since it made its public debut.

ACC Misano 2.jpg
ACC Bentley 1.jpg

Don't forget to check our review article and video, found HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now.

ACC Misano 4.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the next stage of development for ACC? What are you most excited to try, the car, track or VR? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
For people with high end hardware with performance problems, I suggest checking the PCI link speed.
It is supposed to run at 16X, but with time the card weight makes the contacts loose which results in a partial loss of contact at PCI level. As a result your graphics card could be running at 8X, 4X, or even at 2X.
The problem is that no warning is given either by the graphics card or by the operating system. Use CPU-Z or GPU-Z to check your PCI link speed.

Making a game that will not run on the current PS4 or Xbox would be suicide. To say this or that game is cutting edge. It's amazing, but you will have to wait for the next consoles in order to play it?
So, this would apply to PC's. If a company makes a game and it requires a hardware upgrade to the tune of hundreds of dollars is just stupid. I get that newer games will eventually require newer hardware, but this must come in small increments. The point is no other game out now requires this. Why should ACC? In other words: If you have hardware enough to run all the current sims, you should be able to run ACC. If ACC requires pretty much everyone to upgrade except for those that just bought a new hot PC within the last six months the game will fall flat on it's face.

Ok, so after playing around (again) with graphics settings in ACC, here's what I came up with to make the game look acceptable, and not look like a blurred slideshow.View attachment 273527
And it's important to note that I can only race against no more than 8 other cars or just hotlap. Any more than that and it just stutters and is impossible to work with.
So perhaps others can try these settings and adjust the amount of cars (more or less) depending on your specs. Should I only be able to drive against 8 cars? Uh, no. That's kind of crappy, but again hopefully this will get optimized as we go along.
My specs are: i7 6800, NVIDIA 1060 GTX. ALL other sims out right now run perfectly on my machine as already stated.
My system specs stated. Pic included. Attempting to help others having graphics issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Making a game that will not run on the current PS4 or Xbox would be suicide. To say this or that game is cutting edge. It's amazing, but you will have to wait for the next consoles in order to play it?

So ummm...not sure if you know, but besides the fact that developers tweak graphics settings to perform within the target FPS on consoles...there's a big difference between a PC:
  • Run windows and a bunch of background programs
  • Has to be optimized for gaming for best results (see my previous post)
  • Is subject to all sorts of viruses and malware (see my previous post)
  • Is open to so many possible configuration variations i.e. tons of different CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD or SSD and Motherboard combinations (not to mention various versions of Windows)...it's hell on developers to troubleshoot I'd imagine (see my previous post)
  • Gets released often in Early Access to troubleshoot all the issues mentioned above
Compared to a console:
  • Runs a very minimal OS, designed specifically for running games first and foremost
  • A closed system: 1 or 2 different configuration options only per console (PS4 and PS4 Pro, or Xbox 1 and Xbox 1X)...easy for developers to optimize.
  • No virus issues, driver issues or user error issues (Installed buggy software, configured some critical setting wrong) to contend with
  • Gets released when game is finished (i.e. no Early Access development)
TL: DR...ACC will be released on current consoles because it's way easier to optimize for a closed system.

So, this would apply to PC's. If a company makes a game and it requires a hardware upgrade to the tune of hundreds of dollars is just stupid. I get that newer games will eventually require newer hardware, but this must come in small increments. The point is no other game out now requires this. Why should ACC? In other words: If you have hardware enough to run all the current sims, you should be able to run ACC. If ACC requires pretty much everyone to upgrade except for those that just bought a new hot PC within the last six months the game will fall flat on it's face.

I responded to this already, but to recap: it's 2019.
rFactor 2's performance jump post-DX11 switch was the "small increment". (strike 1!)
Project Cars 2's performance jump from all previous sims was the "small incremement". (strike 2!)
ACC's performance hike was the 3rd strike....time for new hardware. Innovation can't wait on your wallet or my wallet. If games like Crysis (for example) that push the limits of what current hardware could do didn't come out, Intel/AMD/Nvidia wouldn't have had as much of a push to innovate.

Adjust graphics settings to suit your PC and keep it moving...it can't look like heaven on every PC.

Ok, so after playing around (again) with graphics settings in ACC, here's what I came up with to make the game look acceptable, and not look like a blurred slideshow.View attachment 273527
And it's important to note that I can only race against no more than 8 other cars or just hotlap. Any more than that and it just stutters and is impossible to work with.
So perhaps others can try these settings and adjust the amount of cars (more or less) depending on your specs. Should I only be able to drive against 8 cars? Uh, no. That's kind of crappy, but again hopefully this will get optimized as we go along.

It will get optimized. Again: Early access is beta testing. Have patience.

My specs are: i7 6800, NVIDIA 1060 GTX. ALL other sims out right now run perfectly on my machine as already stated.

My previous response may have been perceived as condescending...so I will ask this for clarification: What do you mean by "run(s) perfectly"? 30, 60, 120 or +120 FPS?

Last edited:

What monitor or tv are you using?

My CPU is an i7 3770k not oc'd at present due to my Z77 dying a month or so ago.
I have a 1070 and mine is running smooth.
First thing I have to do is v-sync on. I see stutters all the time with it off.
I also turn off Mirror quality as can't see them anyway...
No limit for frames
Turned off opponent visibility
But yes foliage and shadows on high is better than epic. I'm running 19 AI and it's usually pretty smooth unless I'm racing in dark or wet or both and then I get stutters and slow down here and there.

But remember, this is EA, it's not a fully released title and people everywhere have advised of this many times.

Yep, I get it dude. Thanks for being condescending. But I know, you can't help it. I'm so done with sim racers. What a bunch of children. Have fun.

Maybe the last thing I said and the picture at the end was a bit over the limit, but what part of everything else I said was condescending? I responded to each of your points. I believe I explained my argument well enough...I tried to interject some humor into it (yes, I can't help it; I like to laugh), but hey, I'm truly sorry if I offended you. All I wanted to point out was that complaining about performance issues after release 1 of an Early Access beta was a bit premature and can't be compared to a full release on consoles.

However, on the subject of condescending behavior: there is that little part about you calling me a child. Could you refrain from doing that, please? Thanks.

• Deleted member 197115

It was broken in some Thrustmaster wheels and Kunos admitted to that. That doesn't mean they released a broken FFB. We'll see in a few hours indeed.
Not entirely accurate, besides Thrustmaster there is damper bug affecting all wheels.
It actually has roots in AC code, one of the devs even contacted me on that.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 45 36.3%
  • Saturday

Votes: 74 59.7%