VR and Bentley... New Assetto Corsa Competizione Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Bentley 2.jpg

Ahead of the big VR, Bentley and Misano "EA Release 2" for ACC, Kunos Simulazioni have released a few very nice teaser images from the upcoming content release...

With only two short days left to wait for the first major content update for Assetto Corsa Competizione, Kunos Simulazioni have released a nice set of rather attractive preview images in the form of some stunning shots of the mega Bentley Continental GT3 and Misano Circuit, the two major new pieces of content set to hit ACC this October 10th.

Slightly more difficult to reflect in screenshot form, the new release scheduled for this Wednesday will also be notable for the first pass at supporting Virtual Reality (VR) in the sim - a very exciting development for ACC, and something that is sure to please quite a few of the sim racing community (myself included).

Of course this is the first update for ACC since the game deployed into the public realm via Steam Early Access back in September, and it will be interesting to see what other tweaks, improvements and features Kunos can add to an already very impressive simulation in the four weeks since it made its public debut.

ACC Misano 2.jpg
ACC Bentley 1.jpg

Don't forget to check our review article and video, found HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now.

ACC Misano 4.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the next stage of development for ACC? What are you most excited to try, the car, track or VR? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Personally, I think that the benchmark in assetto corsa was a great idea.
I wish we could have something similar in assetto corsa competizione.
It makes the discussion easier for everybody, and makes the setting easier.
We can make benchmmark with msi afterburner, but it is not "integrated".

It is clear that a new sim in 2019 must need more Hardware ressources, because of more elaborate physic, more graphical fx, weather, .... There is probably a lot more hidden mathematical calculations behind, not visible but with real effect on the global performance of the game.

Plus, I think that assetto corsa is well known and everybody know what to tweak to make it work properly, with game and nvidia settings.
Assetto corsa competizione is new, and react probably to other parameters which have to be understood.
For example, I made some benchmark and I could see without any doubt that shadows from Epic to Very high brings immediately 15% performance. (I personally see absolutely NO visual difference) => this is something everybody can do. We don't have always to run all "Epic". It is not "bad" to reduce an option , and we all make that in Assetto corsa (AF ingame for example)
Making the same with post processing has NO impact on the fps. . Why ?
This is all the thing which would be better understood and well known with the time.
and the game will run better then.

But in my case, i have been positively surprised to see that the game run already very well on my pc , made for assetto corsa.
I am very surprised to see that some people running very well assetto corsa have problems to run assetto corsa competizione very well too (okay, less fps maybe but can we say that at 90 fps instead of 120 makes the game not run well ?)

good luck to everybody.
In my case I have already stopped to look at the fps, and I try to improve my laptime under 1:58 !!!!
(Very curious about the new Bentley.)

Last edited:
Personally, I think that the benchmark in assetto corsa was a great idea.
I wish we could have something similar in assetto corsa competizione.
It makes the discussion easier for everybody, and makes the setting easier.
We can make benchmmark with msi afterburner, but it is not "integrated".

It is clear that a new sim in 2019 must need more Hardware ressources, because of more elaborate physic, more graphical fx, weather, .... There is probably a lot more hidden mathematical calculations behind, not visible but with real effect on the global performance of the game.

Plus, I think that assetto corsa is well known and everybody know what to tweak to make it work properly, with game and nvidia settings.
Assetto corsa competizione is new, and react probably to other parameters which have to be understood.
For example, I made some benchmark and I could see without any doubt that shadows from Epic to Very high brings immediately 15% performance. (I personally see absolutely NO visual difference) => this is something everybody can do. We don't have always to run all "Epic". It is not "bad" to reduce an option , and we all make that in Assetto corsa (AF ingame for example)
Making the same with post processing has NO impact on the fps. . Why ?
This is all the thing which would be better understood and well known with the time.
and the game will run better then.

But in my case, i have been positively surprised to see that the game run already very well on my pc , made for assetto corsa.
I am very surprised to see that some people running very well assetto corsa have problems to run assetto corsa competizione very well too (okay, less fps maybe but can we say that at 90 fps instead of 120 makes the game not run well ?)

good luck to everybody.
In my case I have already stopped to look at the fps, and I try to improve my laptime under 1:58 !!!!
(Very curious about the new Bentley.)
Or get a gsync/freesync monitor depending on your gfx card

Or get a gsync/freesync monitor depending on your gfx card

Sorry but I don't understand your answer. (Gsync and benchmark ??)
;)
I personally have a 144 Hz gsync monitor, and this is why I really think that fps are not really so important (between 60 and 120 fps). The game is always perfectly smooth at all fps, and at least I am very happy with that. (okay, no idea about the FFB at different fps).

I think gsync/freesync are very nice update to consider (maybe before more fps at all costs)

Jeez you lot, we are all beta testers and are in the process of developing the game through our feedback etc. The game needs loads of work yet so just give it a chance. Like the original AC when that was in EA, that too was a bit bad at some things but it turned just fine.
The whole sim will become more and more optimized as time progresses. :thumbsup:

Sorry but I don't understand your answer. (Gsync and benchmark ??)
;)
I personally have a 144 Hz gsync monitor, and this is why I really think that fps are not really so important (between 60 and 120 fps). The game is always perfectly smooth at all fps, and at least I am very happy with that. (okay, no idea about the FFB at different fps).

I think gsync/freesync are very nice update to consider (maybe before more fps at all costs)
I guess the issue for most is running any game under the native monitor refresh rate inhibits stuttering testing etc.
Gsync/freesync for the most part eliminates this and there is no reason for a FPS counter in the first instance :)

Those of you waiting for the next release please note the following (this is from Aristotelis on the Kunos forums):

--------------​

"Hello guys.

"As you know the setup screen is a heavy WIP project that we will keep improving and adding features through the whole Early Access development. We will try to keep backwards compatibility as much as possible but inevitably sometimes we will break it.

"Unfortunately for release 2 your previously saved setups will not work anymore.
You might be able to open the .json files and edit to make them work, but I advice against it as they might create issues with the automatic system.

"Here are some workarounds to make the situation less dramatic.
- Make screenshots of the setup pages. You will then be able to recreate most of it
- Brake bias will be quite different and lower. So don't try to recreate your old values with it. Go with a preset and then work it out from there. We also offer a much more refined control for it.
- Setups are now saved in the documents folder in subfolders for car and circuit. If you want a setup from a track to appear to a different track, you should copy it manually. Later on we will add filters for circuits.

"Thanks for understanding and for your patience, we do believe it's for the better and will pay dividends later on."

--------------
I know comments are gonna flood RD about setups not working, so please be advised.

Possible optimization issues aside, I think there are too many variables involved for people to be getting so heated over this. The biggest one being that some people are too vague in:

A) their descriptions of performance
B) their system specs
C) Both

“Runs like ****”, “Runs like butter/smooth”...looks are definitely subjective, but there’s a reason why log files/benchmarks don’t use such colourful words to show raw performance. Could you imagine TechPowerUp doing a GPU shootout like that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------​

Benchmark of Assassins Creed Odyssey @ “kinda crisp” resolution (see previous page for “blurry AF” resolution or next page for “razor sharp” resolution):

8800 GT: LMAO!!!
GTX 460: Please try Assassin’s Creed II instead.
GTX 780 ti: not quite there yet.
GTX 980 ti: it works I guess.
GTX 1080 ti: I can dig it.
RTX 2080 ti: Shazaam!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------​

Silliness aside, apply the same logic to only listing your GPU...not only RAM (speed and capacity), CPU and hard drive matters...but also your OS (is it optimized for gaming? Is it updated? Do you have bloatware/spyware/viruses installed? etc..) and your GPU drivers can play a big part in it. Also, one random device connected can reek havoc on performance in some games.

It’s even more apparent that your OS status, drivers and such may be to blame if two people with similar or same system specs are having opposite experiences like in this thread (assuming they’re also using the same resolution and settings, their hardware isn’t starting to fail and they list quantifiable data like FPS).

Lastly, mentioning that every other sim runs well is somewhat irrelevant...It's a 2019 sim, using certain aesthetic and physics based effects not used in previous sims...something's gotta give. ACC won't run the same as Project Cars 2 just like PC2 doesn't run the same as Automobilista or iRacing.
Making a game that will not run on the current PS4 or Xbox would be suicide. To say this or that game is cutting edge. It's amazing, but you will have to wait for the next consoles in order to play it?
So, this would apply to PC's. If a company makes a game and it requires a hardware upgrade to the tune of hundreds of dollars is just stupid. I get that newer games will eventually require newer hardware, but this must come in small increments. The point is no other game out now requires this. Why should ACC? In other words: If you have hardware enough to run all the current sims, you should be able to run ACC. If ACC requires pretty much everyone to upgrade except for those that just bought a new hot PC within the last six months the game will fall flat on it's face.

Ok, so after playing around (again) with graphics settings in ACC, here's what I came up with to make the game look acceptable, and not look like a blurred slideshow.
IMG_1674[5157].jpg

And it's important to note that I can only race against no more than 8 other cars or just hotlap. Any more than that and it just stutters and is impossible to work with.
So perhaps others can try these settings and adjust the amount of cars (more or less) depending on your specs. Should I only be able to drive against 8 cars? Uh, no. That's kind of crappy, but again hopefully this will get optimized as we go along.
My specs are: i7 6800, NVIDIA 1060 GTX. ALL other sims out right now run perfectly on my machine as already stated.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.