Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 VIR 1.jpg

As another bonus from the upcoming Reiza DLC for rFactor 2, ViR has been confirming alongside Imola as the second bonus track for the pack.

Initially planned to ship with two Automobilista classics in the form of Guapore and Ibarra alongside four cars, Reiza have taken the call to bump up the content of the upcoming 'Reiza Bundle' DLC for rFactor 2, announcing earlier that a modern and historic version of Imola will form part of the pack, and now going on to confirm the outstanding Virginia International Raceway will also be added to the pack - bringing the track count of the pack up to four - plus the Metalmoro AJR, Metalmoro MR18, MCR Sports 2000, Formula Vee, Puma P052 and Puma GTE cars... not bad at all.

As we get ever closer to the release of this new DLC, Reiza and Studio 397 have dropped a few new screenshots from the circuits, which can be seen below..

rF2 VIR 2.jpg
rF2 VIR 3.jpg
rF2 VIR 4.jpg

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

I love these types of pics.

rf2-vir-4-jpg.294487

Looks real but in a raw way which feels like you are really there (especially when you add 3D / VR in the mix) rather than all those overly done post-processing effects and filters which makes me feel like I'm watching a movie or some sort of CGI presentation or something. I want to feel like I am actually there, not like I'm watching television.

Last edited:
This is great news and what RF2 really needs. Quality up to date content.

I've done some league races recently on what look like converted RF1 tracks and in comparison to the "works" RF2 tracks it does the sim no favours at all. They look cartoony with bad colour palettes (admittedly due to some DX9/DX11 issues) and rough overall design. So I can understand why people who try this game for the first time, download some very old content by accident and then wonder what the fuss is all about.

It would be amazing if someone like Patrick Giranthon converted his AMS tracks over, would be an enormous boost for RF2.

The more up to date content we get for RF2 the better, and the pack from Reiza will be extremely popular I think. Sebring is a work of art and tracks like VIR will be a great addition too.

My only wish is a proper series, with the matching tracks. Indycar, IMSA, ELMS maybe. Something that will really push the sim into the limelight more. A real long shot I know but something that I would like to see happen.

I just wonder if the track is this dark in mid day too. Idk why people put some tracks with this dark color palette (especially AC ports), then some are too bright. Cant they all stay at a level like Sebring/NOLA?

It'll probably be fine when released, I know what you mean though.

A lot of the photos from RF2 and AMS (for example) tend to be early morning or early evening. You tend to get more atmospheric light and the screenshots look better. Daytime shots, no cloud, etc. can look very fake or artificial.

I dont mean sun position...

What they tend to do is use matt shaders or low specular settings on a lot of trackside objects. Because of course they wouldn't be shiny in real life. The trouble with that is they don't absorb any light and therefore look dark. If you make them too bright they will jump of the screen at you and look worse. As the sun sets they look even darker. It's just one of those issues with certain game engines. Since RF2 moved to DX11, bright colours are almost a no-no anyway as they would glow badly.

I understand what you mean because a lot of sims have to go this route. iRacing also has a very darkish palette as well. A PC game engine can't replicate what our eyes can achieve in real life but they do the best they can.

Looks real but in a raw way ..................

6 years ago when people were calling rF2 " cartoon" on ISI site I said that identical thing Spin
No one agreed and I got badly verbalized ...... :roflmao:

I explained that pCars modelling was like a lovely plastic model with much detail and rF2 was like a die cast model, simpler but more realistic looking in a uncanny way lol..............

It isn't bad, but it is still rough around the edges.

Honestly this version below is better IMO as it has better trackside details and the colors don't seem as unrealistically vibrant.
Mod Edit:link removed.

Regardless I think Rieza's version will be awesome and I am looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lighting and brightness of track is very related to sun position in rF2. Not much can be done for particular track, sadly.
Here's the screenshot of Imola at brighter time of day (but still not the midday):
46356575655_a9667f8a8c_o.jpg
Again: I dont mean sun position.

What they tend to do is use matt shaders or low specular settings on a lot of trackside objects. Because of course they wouldn't be shiny in real life. The trouble with that is they don't absorb any light and therefore look dark. If you make them too bright they will jump of the screen at you and look worse. As the sun sets they look even darker. It's just one of those issues with certain game engines. Since RF2 moved to DX11, bright colours are almost a no-no anyway as they would glow badly.

I understand what you mean because a lot of sims have to go this route. iRacing also has a very darkish palette as well. A PC game engine can't replicate what our eyes can achieve in real life but they do the best they can.
Sebring/NOLA are good examples of correct colors so I dont buy this way of explaining it, sorry.

Load Sebring/NOLA at 17pm, you'll get same colors.
edit: to close this question here's both NOLA and VIR (still WIP) in the same time of day (13:00)
The fog out settings are different, other than that I think it's close enough to rf2 standards.
GRAB_479.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back