The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

^^^

Isn't Ilja working on 3d trees?

Think it was posted on his patreon that he is looking into it. (there was screenshot posted)
what screenshot? I´m not really super optimistic about these treesfx; if it works like grassfx it might be a good replacement for RTB trees and a quick way to lay down background trees

The problem is that Y trees we use now are treated differently (as objects) by Kunos SDK when we export the track.
We import them as plenty of objects and are exported as individual optimized body of trees using the naming convention.
But it is entirely possible today to have 3D trees that becomes 2D trees with various LOD if we don't use kunos optimized batching by naming them like any other tree.
It's completely possible to do it for trees next to the road. Just not optimized.

That being said.
Having 3D trees bring a **** tone of other problems that just the LOD (but LOD brutal transition is part of it), especially aliasing and foliage covering problems.
If you look at footage of GT sport and Forza 7, it gives you a very good idea of the pro & cons.
3D trees in GT Sport gives a better volume sensation end it's easier for them to follow light direction, but the LOD transition are jarring and the resolve of alpha covering becomes muddy at close distance. Forza 7 (and AC) Y trees have far better consistency of rendering quality with distance since it just one texture mostly vertical nicely filtered in the distance, but lack the sense of volume and are a pain to light correctly.
Even when you look at the State of the Art last trailer of Forza Horizon 5, you can noticed very well the LOD changes

After tinkered a bit with it, I don't thing that 3D trees looks necessary better for a Simulation right now, where visual consistency from distance is king. Most Y tree that looks bad right now is because they could have better textures (and better exported with kaiser filtering for mipmaps for exemple) and better tweak values on the shader.
I'm not saying 3D trees are not what we should aim at. It definitly is, but not sure right now that they would look better in most situation we have in an AC race.

Last edited:
what screenshot? I´m not really super optimistic about these treesfx; if it works like grassfx it might be a good replacement for RTB trees and a quick way to lay down background trees
Ilja commented last week: "I finally started working on TreesFX! Can’t guarantee any acceptable results yet, but at least my initial idea of generating trees with Lua scripts seems to be promising so far (it looks nasty, but it’s just something to measure performance, and it took 0.2 ms to generate, so that’s a relief)."
The russian super brain has just warmed up, everybody! So let's wait and see what he can achieve, fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 20210516-231407-test_pad-ferrari_458.jpg
    20210516-231407-test_pad-ferrari_458.jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

I suppose it's silly to have a horn on a race car. So if you're going to have one, make it as silly as you can.
To be fair, early Grand Prix racing was held on public roads, with dedicated racing circuits like Monza, Opel Rennbahn and Brooklands not being all that common yet & safety standards still quite lax. The ride-on mechanic can only serve double-duty as a spotter whenever there wasn't a problem that needed attention, so a strapped-on external horn wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to clear the way with possible spectators or wildlife/farm animals on track.

To be fair, early Grand Prix racing was held on public roads, with dedicated racing circuits like Monza, Opel Rennbahn and Brooklands not being all that common yet & safety standards still quite lax. The ride-on mechanic can only serve double-duty as a spotter whenever there wasn't a problem that needed attention, so a strapped-on external horn wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to clear the way with possible spectators or wildlife/farm animals on track.
Some cars actually drove to the track as well, so they probably would've had something for that. I've got a pre-race picture of one of the FIATs with one of those old squeeze horns bolted to the side, it's gone in race pictures so it probably was for that drive to the track.

Could pep modern F1 up a bit if the cars all had their own personal air-horns.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.