The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Just a short gameplay of the "Formula Grand Prix" mod at Monza with M. Schumacher.
As you can hear... The sound bank is sampled from the original GP3 sounds
;)

You will notice also the (almost) fully functional steering wheel.

Are these cars going to have different performance based on their RL equivalents? Or are they just the same cars physics-wise for league racing?
Same performance, they are all based on the same carshape so it’s a sort of a “league formula”.
Btw I prepared a custom grid file for CM with different performances for each driver if you wish to race with an AI closer to the original game

If you know the dimensions of the leaf springs, there are ways of doing calculations on those :)
Ofcourse it's a bit harder with multiple un-even-length springs, but definately possible with FEM software (which I happen to work with on a daily basis).

Hmm, I know the dimensions but of course they're not all the same;
51x2x0.282 inch main leaf (mounted on shackles)
45x2x0.313 inch below that
30x2x0.282 inch below that
15x2x0.313 inch below that
with waxed fabric in between them for consistent damping.

Aftermarket "oem replacement" ones claim 110lb/in so it should be in that ballpark.

Aftermarket "oem replacement" ones claim 110lb/in so it should be in that ballpark.
Hmm, my model might be off. I get to a value of 67,3 N/mm instead of 19,3 (=110 lb/in).

5 kN / 74,3 mm = 67,3 N/mm
1607075713095.png

So yeah.. ignore it, or don't. I don't know :D
I'm definately more used to larger structures instead of this fidly stuff.

Edit: I'm using European steel by the way. US steel might have different stiffness factors. But I don't think it's threefold :p

Last edited:

I made a little spreadsheet calculator for my old bangers based on this equation: https://www.fxsolver.com/browse/formulas/Semi-Elliptic+Laminated+Leaf+Spring+Stiffness - gives you a reasonable guess-timate if you average the leaf thicknesses and use a typical figure for the Young's modulous of steel.

Gives me 21512 N/mm or about 123 lb-in for those dimensions, going by your figure for aftermarket springs it's a little high but not far off.

Hmm, my model might be off. I get to a value of 67,3 N/mm instead of 19,3 (=110 lb/in).

5 kN / 74,3 mm = 67,3 N/mm
View attachment 424303

So yeah.. ignore it, or don't. I don't know :D
I'm definately more used to larger structures instead of this fidly stuff.

Edit: I'm using European steel by the way. US steel might have different stiffness factors. But I don't think it's threefold :p

Does this model allow for translation in the X axis at one of the mounting points? If the suspension of the Corvette does, this would explain the high outcome (having to stretch the springs as well).

Does this model allow for translation in the X axis at one of the mounting points? If the suspension of the Corvette does, this would explain the high outcome (having to stretch the springs as well).
Yes. Fixing it creates even more stiffness. There are rotation-free rigid connections (the red lines) which allow for a bit of movement between the blades (because of the height offset), but maybe not enough resulting in higher stiffness. I don't do small scale stuff that often, and this is a whole other niche alltogether, so maybe the spreadsheet above is more accurate :D

Where is this?
It is the first 4.5 km from this stage from the WRC round in Spain.

Thanks to @glasshouse for making some vintage racecar skins to include. Also Gary as usual putting the driver in the seat. Pretty close to final now (modeled mirrors are kinda the last thing crossed off the mesh todo, but I'm 99% likely to do some wheels for the racecars, without the hubcaps)
qv4Gf7y.jpg

I love the tire flex in this!

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 38 84.4%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 15 33.3%