The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Presumably that would lead to inconsistent appearances along the track, since everyone of the top guys around here has their own style (not only visually, but also in workflow etc).

That is what makes it intriguing to me, can they produce an epic piece of work that is greater than the sum of their own work.

I haven't considered this, no, but to be honest there don't seem to be many track modders who are into vintage tracks, and those that are, are (understandably) engrossed in their own projects already.

As I said, this is a low key, back-burner of a project that I can jump on when the monotony of planting shrubs at Battenbergring gets too much, or modelling villages for Schottenring loses its appeal.

I really enjoy this point in a track project; the feeling of starting with literally nothing and then, bit by bit, edit by edit, this thing starts to take shape. All the fancy stuff that comes afterwards, the things that make it look more real, the stuff that other people expect, the trees, the buildings, the hay bales... that's pretty boring to do, especially when it's your 5th or 6th track and you're not learning anything new any more.

I guess that's probably why I have so many unfinished, unreleased tracks on my hard drive :redface:

Props.
Known to be what delays the rest of an actual track.......

20201211152159_1.jpg

Also trying to get some air time.
Screenshot_ks_bmw_m235i_racing_union_island_9-11-120-23-28-21-accum.jpg

Screenshot_ks_bmw_m235i_racing_union_island_9-11-120-23-29-4-accum.jpg

Harbor getting somewhere
Screenshot_ks_bmw_m235i_racing_union_island_9-11-120-23-27-37-accum.jpg

Last edited:
...Schottenring...

You're doing Schottenring as well?! Mind blown.

All the fancy stuff that comes afterwards, the things that make it look more real, the stuff that other people expect, the trees, the buildings, the hay bales... that's pretty boring to do

I'm torn on what to reply to that one. On the one hand your circuits capture atmosphere and immersion like few others as you've got a really good eye for that detail.

On the other I hope you stick to what you enjoy doing; don't get me wrong, I'll happily enjoy each of your releases but it doesn't matter if you don't release another 'full' circuit, you've done plenty already!

You're doing Schottenring as well?! Mind blown.

I'm torn on what to reply to that one. On the one hand your circuits capture atmosphere and immersion like few others as you've got a really good eye for that detail.

On the other I hope you stick to what you enjoy doing; don't get me wrong, I'll happily enjoy each of your releases but it doesn't matter if you don't release another 'full' circuit, you've done plenty already!

Oh, I didn't mean that I wouldn't be releasing any more completed projects - I just wanted to convey the feelings I have about track making. For me, it's a double-edged sword.

On one hand I absolutely love trying to create these snapshots of history (and I guess Sergio feels the same way, too) - I get a huge amount of enjoyment and satisfaction from completing a track and releasing it into the wild.

But, on the other hand, as time goes on, I learn fewer and fewer new things with each passing project, and once you are doing the same things but just on a different track, it takes away some of the fun - it starts to feel like a bit of a production line (especially when all the tracks are very similar, set in similar parts of the world). Hopefully, Mugello will feel a bit fresher to me, with different vegetation to research, different architecture to model, a different environment to try and recreate.

But no, I have no plans to stop releasing stuff - Battenbergring is 95% complete, Bremgarten is well under way, as is Schottenring, Solitude, Clermont Ferand, along with a few other tracks I have sketched out.

Oh, I didn't mean that I wouldn't be releasing any more completed projects - I just wanted to convey the feelings I have about track making. For me, it's a double-edged sword.

On one hand I absolutely love trying to create these snapshots of history (and I guess Sergio feels the same way, too) - I get a huge amount of enjoyment and satisfaction from completing a track and releasing it into the wild.

But, on the other hand, as time goes on, I learn fewer and fewer new things with each passing project, and once you are doing the same things but just on a different track, it takes away some of the fun - it starts to feel like a bit of a production line (especially when all the tracks are very similar, set in similar parts of the world). Hopefully, Mugello will feel a bit fresher to me, with different vegetation to research, different architecture to model, a different environment to try and recreate.

But no, I have no plans to stop releasing stuff - Battenbergring is 95% complete, Bremgarten is well under way, as is Schottenring, Solitude, Clermont Ferand, along with a few other tracks I have sketched out.
Well I hope the passion never really dies as I'm more an old school kinda guy and patient as well. As long as AC keeps running your tracks and LilSki will always be at the top of my list.

I'm so delighted to read, that you still love to make those vintage tracks:)
Yet, I anticipated, that this extremely laborious task of adding all that extra detail along the side of the road, might be having an impact on your motivation. Also, knowing that you're a husband and a dedicated father of two, I strictly restrained myself from pestering you with any questions if, or when, or what your are planning to work on.

But hearing from yourself about your underlying passion still being very much alive, this has brought the biggest grin on my face:geek::):):)

Have considered doing it as a joint project with some of the other top class modders around ? For example you do the track and others do a village each or 'decorate' a stretch of the rural areas. Or would this be an even bigger stretch ? lol
We did that with GPL Targa Florio project, take us 3/4 years or so to make a complete lap, what we all feel trought this project, it is a some point you get burned and dont want to see the track for a year, so we split the track into section, each one had a "job". i came to a point i had "Targa Florio" dreams every night, thats was the state of our brains :).
Basically you need a perfect team, that happen with Targa Florio, but we can achieve that for Mugello or Pescara, even there was the same people around.

Last edited:
Is there actually any track video footage of the track anywhere for reference ?
I would really like to say I have all passion for the older vintage tracks, just no actual talent.
To me modern tracks just lack any real personality at all, which is where the vintage tracks just shine.

Ever wanted / though about making modern versions (or gathering someone or a team) of your tracks ?

I posted that question on your profile regarding Fonteny but it's the same for every other track you made
Old tracks are beautiful, but modern ones as well when done right, imagine the lights, the activity you could have on Deutschlandring or Ferdbergring, F1s going full speed on FIA-approved Thomson Road, or even Mugello with some walls and banners, people and helicopters passing by etc.

I can only dream about this but the vision is clear and beautiful in my mind, like everyone before the hard reality of modding appears :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ever wanted / though about making modern versions (or gathering someone or a team) of your tracks ?

I posted that question on your profile regarding Fonteny but it's the same for every other track you made
Old tracks are beautiful, but modern ones as well when done right, imagine the lights, the activity you could have on Deutschlandring or Ferdbergring, F1s going full speed on FIA-approved Thomson Road, or even Mugello with some walls and banners, people and helicopters passing by etc.

I can only dream about this but the vision is clear and beautiful in my mind, like everyone before the hard reality of modding appears :rolleyes:
hey!! thats i idea i have some times, a "what if" version of old tracks, i.e. take the old Rouen and try to make it look modern...

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 176 66.9%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 114 43.3%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 121 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 48 18.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 71 27.0%
Back