The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Tires made.
fr1999_5.png

I love the tracks from NFS 3/4 SO much :inlove:

I actually have got a tool you could convert the track models with, might be a good reference point.
The way I referenced the track was to open the original track model in some old program called t3d. Then I just took pictures from above along the track and stitched them together in gimp into a ref pic like this but about 8x bigger:
layout.png
Then traced the track in blender to create the roads. Then again went through all the 7.7km of the track in about 50m steps and looked the elevations from t3d and manually added them to the blender model. Accuracy is not that important because the original track has elevation changes that are so drastic that you'd be getting airborne everywhere all the time so I had to smooth it out. Which sounds fun but to to be able to land those jumps in anything except trophy truck is impossible without spinning out constantly.

After that I just fine tuned the track a bit to smooth out the jumps, added cambers and made some of the buildings and textured it using free cc0 textures. I'll probably add some more ac features to the track and give it away as cc0 with all the blender files as well so everybody can do whatever they want with it. Maybe it could also work as a sample track where people can check how to setup startlights and and such.

Just trying out making textures by cloning and projection painting in Blender, after watching this tutorial:

Really impressed with the results, only downside is it underlines how shoddy some of my other textures are:

n3sdXXk.jpg

Those rear lights really needed some detail. With this and some texturing it should look alright. In the GIF it is the actual bulbs that are emitting light. 3rd brake light is darker as it sits behind the tinted rear window. The original has a cut out in that place and I'll do the same because I don't want to sacrifice window tint and I can't tweak it with the light itself.

The entire rear end around the lights was also too curved, checking my reference images there's practially an edge in the design on that corner so that is corrected now.

The real fun will start in getting the textures, transparency and placement right behind or on the rear light 'glass'.

KMfQpyf.jpg

B12 5.7 finally has enough grills to let the hot air out and the NACA duct to let cool air in to cool the fuel lines :)

G7UcEDt.png

Last edited:
Looks gorgeous, and you've definitely captured the atmosphere. I can almost smell the gasoline and hear the sputter of the carburetors. Those old Alfas were things of delicate beauty in and out. :inlove:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back