The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

@Fat-Alfie

Release dat.
giphy.gif

I would guess at about 3 or 4 weeks time. It depends how silly I go on details. The track is about 95% complete now, and I only really have a few things that I need to add (large billboard-style adverts on the pit straight, left / right signs at sharp corners, directional road signs at Roteskreuz Gasthaus, pitlane TSO like tools, maybe spectators). Other than that it's just optimisation and texture consolidation.

And then lots and lots of testing! :D

I would guess at about 3 or 4 weeks time. It depends how silly I go on details. The track is about 95% complete now, and I only really have a few things that I need to add (large billboard-style adverts on the pit straight, left / right signs at sharp corners, directional road signs at Roteskreuz Gasthaus, pitlane TSO like tools, maybe spectators). Other than that it's just optimisation and texture consolidation.

And then lots and lots of testing! :D
Can you please make a version without race stuff and vintage cars so it just looks like a Landstraße (I think it is called B-road) in English. The grandstand could stay. Obviously it is your mod but it would be hugely nice of you

Can you please make a version without race stuff and vintage cars so it just looks like a Landstraße (I think it is called B-road) in English. The grandstand could stay. Obviously it is your mod but it would be hugely nice of you

I'd say the same, but feel bad asking for more before the current (amazing) work is even released lol

I don't know how easy it is but could it be done using the 'world detail' level? That seems to be quite common on some tracks I've seen (AC reboot project for example), dropping it down from max removes the spectators etc. for more of a track day feel and obviously better performance.

It looks amazing either way, and I could definitely see the difference AO made on that wall :D

I'm not sure I would be able to do that very easily. Lots of the trackside objects are dependent on other objects, so if I removed the vehicles, I would have to re-export the AO objects, and if I removed the advertising banners, there would be gaps in the 3D grass where the banner are laid on the grass banks.

All the 3D grass is set up to use KSLAYER2 - KSLAYER5 so that wouldn't be an option, either - sorry :unsure:

Bit more progress on the tire app. Changed the colours around and I think it looks better now. Spent quite a lot of time fiddling about trying to figure out how to change the colours of certain elements of the UI as it's not straightforward. I've now got it working end to end again though which is the first time since re-doing it in this nicer looking style of application:

As you can see I added the SF70 just to check/prove it will work with other cars as there is a tire pack for it. Problem is though that for Yellow/Soft you currently have to delete the 2 texture files, so I'll need to figure out how to do that (which will likely mean a change of rights to admin), so it's unlikely to be 'supported' any time soon.
Also as you can see it now brings in the 'livery' image for each skin too :)
To do before release:
  • Get it to save settings & read supported car list from a file.
  • Add an option to make tires the same for all skins.
Also if anyone has a configuration where AC (or any game for that matter) is installed in a different folder (e.g. on a different drive) from the main steam install folder, please give me a PM as I need to include detection for this sort of setup.

@Brun is working on a pure street course, he calls "high force". Thirty something km of I believe real roads running between few villages in England or Scotland. He's posted a clip of it several pages back. Its very much what you are looking for. Then @Rafa Sanchez has released his "Tajo hillclimb" in the downloads section, 16km of "Landstraße" like roads running P2P between two villages in Spain.

Bit more progress on the tire app. Changed the colours around and I think it looks better now. Spent quite a lot of time fiddling about trying to figure out how to change the colours of certain elements of the UI as it's not straightforward. I've now got it working end to end again though which is the first time since re-doing it in this nicer looking style of application:

As you can see I added the SF70 just to check/prove it will work with other cars as there is a tire pack for it. Problem is though that for Yellow/Soft you currently have to delete the 2 texture files, so I'll need to figure out how to do that (which will likely mean a change of rights to admin), so it's unlikely to be 'supported' any time soon.
Also as you can see it now brings in the 'livery' image for each skin too :)
To do before release:
  • Get it to save settings & read supported car list from a file.
  • Add an option to make tires the same for all skins.
Also if anyone has a configuration where AC (or any game for that matter) is installed in a different folder (e.g. on a different drive) from the main steam install folder, please give me a PM as I need to include detection for this sort of setup.

That's looking very cool, nice one :)

As an alternative viewpoint with the install folder detection, naturally you're going to want to allow the user to manually set the folder as a backup in case your detection fails or perhaps they have some sort of odd installation.

Given that, and given the fact that anyone with a non-standard install folder is probably an 'advanced' user and thus capable of setting the install directory themselves, I think your simplest (and thus most bug free) solution is to go for a simple check if the standard install location exists, and if not, just ask the user for where it is.

In my experience, trying to do something 'clever' never covers every outcome, and the additional complexity is rarely worth the few odd extra unusual situations you are able to cater for.

Just something to consider, you're clearly more than capable so no offence taken if you ignore this :D

That's looking very cool, nice one :)

As an alternative viewpoint with the install folder detection, naturally you're going to want to allow the user to manually set the folder as a backup in case your detection fails or perhaps they have some sort of odd installation.

Given that, and given the fact that anyone with a non-standard install folder is probably an 'advanced' user and thus capable of setting the install directory themselves, I think your simplest (and thus most bug free) solution is to go for a simple check if the standard install location exists, and if not, just ask the user for where it is.

In my experience, trying to do something 'clever' never covers every outcome, and the additional complexity is rarely worth the few odd extra unusual situations you are able to cater for.

Just something to consider, you're clearly more than capable so no offence taken if you ignore this :D
Glad you're liking the new look. PM'd you for some advice re config file/installer.
I agree that I will need to ask the user for the location of AC if detection fails, but it's not too bad to parse some additional files to try and find it first. I found something on stackoverflow (spent a lot of time on there this last week! :roflmao:) which describes the basic process:
1 get steam install path from registry
2 look for app manifest file e.g. appmanifest_<steamappid>.acf files contained in \steamapps subfolder to get AC install folder
3 if not there there also check libraryfolders.vdf in \steamapps subfolder for other game installation folders.
4 Once you have this alternative folder, parse steam acm/acf files contained in \steamapps subfolder to find game install folder

I've already done part 1 and 2, so 3 & 4 shouldn't be that hard and I can knock up a VM fairly quickly to test it, but that's the lowest priority thing to do. I made a basic parser of the acf file that just opens a stream reader and goes through it line by line looking for the values I need so it's not too many more hoops to jump through to add steps 3 and 4 just in case I think.

:D

Added ambient occlusion to the walls through the village, and dirtied up the footpaths a little bit more.

lTHEKvq.jpg

Getting into the finer details now :)
Years ago when I was doing some 3D work I used to get into it with some of my co-workers. My favorite saying was "Unless something is brand new, most things have signs of wear, or dirt/grime, dust, etc..Could be minute, could be a lot..." I remember using a plugin...I think it was called Quick Dirt (maybe a Digimation plugin?) I must have spent thousands of hours late at night applying subtle touches of dirt, dust, etc. Just look at your stone sidewalk and brick wall. The top photo is beautiful. The bottom photo is beautiful and contains a lot of realism that the top does not. You have a brilliant eye for putting those kinds of touches into your work. Much, much better than I ever could.
I do have this in the works, but it is on hold for now:
oF1fQFm.jpg

26km of real roads set in France, around the village of Fonteny. Sounds like your kind thing, also :)
OMG. I think I'm in heaven. I love these old roads so much. They're great to race on for someone like me who prefers to drive older vehicles (race & street) and even modern street cars. The same goes for Lilski's tracks. They're older (if still in existence) for the most part and to me it's more enjoyable than driving on a circuit like Nurburgring GP which feels a bit sterile to me. I know it also has a lot to do with the cars I prefer to drive, but thank God people like you guys are bringing these types of tracks to Assetto Corsa. I could probably drive Riverside until my hands blistered. Same with Feldbergring - my favorite overall track/road in AC. :)

Is this track called Fonteny, or something else? Is it real or a fictional one? Haven't been able to narrow down what it is.

It's not a real track, just real roads. I convinced myself that somewhere there must be a loop that is as good to drive as the Nordschleife so went on a quest to find one :roflmao: This is the closest I have come, so far:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K86raupuMMX0g7Du9u-CgPC9X7c&usp=sharing

@ALB123 , I remember using a plugin like that for Photoshop - there was a range of them, and I remember using one for moss quite a bit. I'm glad someone else appreciates the 'more weathered' appearance in modding. I find it hugely satisfying, building up these textures. The footpath started off being changed because I was looking at it in-game (after crashing again!) thinking "I'm sure the cement between the cobble stones wouldn't be clean like that", so I added some moss between the stones, then added some more dirt next to where it meets the wall, then a bit more where it meets the road...

cFIVkAi.jpg

I think texture work is one of the most enjoyable parts about track modding - you really get chance to create illusions and sometimes trick the eye. Glad you like it, though :) I can't wait to see how Lilski's vintage version of Watkins Glen turns out - it could be amazing! :thumbsup:

Hey someone has to keep him on his toes. Can't be letting him get lazy... he's come this far.
The brick on the inside of the gate cutout section could use a bit of love too now. Hahaha.
*runs away*
;) :p

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 5 23.8%