The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Digging through old photos to try and find some trees to make new textures and then create "billboard" trees for rFactor useable from within RTB. I think my alpha channel is okay on this one...?

iMbfkdR.jpg

How can you decide which tyres the ai shall use in a race? They have the option of street 90's, street and semislicks, but they race in street 90s

WPF rocks! Had to do some reading and a few tutorials but starting to understand enough now. I've imported my classes into a new WPF project and have come up with this so far:

Which looks much better, although of course the style can be fixed later.
So far I have just got the car and skins loading working but shouldn't be too long to get back to where I had the other version.
The 'Car' object contains all the skins in a collection as I originally designed so just a few tweaks to get the classes back to how they were originally.

Now I have it set up, I find it amazing that just 1 line of code automatically populates the skin list instead of me having to manually do it all!
Private Sub carList_SelectionChanged ...
skinsList.ItemsSource = carList.SelectedItem.skins
End Sub
Previously this required 20 lines of code to manually go through and populate the list :laugh:

Next up will be figuring out how to use the WPF treeview and how to adapt my tirefolder (recursive) class to it. I think I will need to add a 'selected compound' property to the skin class and then can populate the combo box options for this when a tire folder has been selected. I am aiming to have it working again by the end of tomorrow. :geek:
more progress on the app:
Main Screen:

Popup of tire 'root' selection:

As you can see on the top image, it now reads the ui json files for both car and skins so brings in the correct values for name, team, number driver(s) for the skins, and name (and year, brand, country, author which are hidden but used for validation of 'supported cars') as well as the ui 'badge' image for the cars. I may add the 'livery' image to the skins area too.

Have spent most of the day trying to understand how styles and colours work, and am still playing with how it looks. I was going for a Photoshop CC look here (I took the colours directly from a screen grab of the PS window) but not sure I like it. It needs to be fairly dark otherwise the 'badge' images can't be seen.

:)

more progress on the app:
Main Screen:

Popup of tire 'root' selection:

As you can see on the top image, it now reads the ui json files for both car and skins so brings in the correct values for name, team, number driver(s) for the skins, and name (and year, brand, country, author which are hidden but used for validation of 'supported cars') as well as the ui 'badge' image for the cars. I may add the 'livery' image to the skins area too.

Have spent most of the day trying to understand how styles and colours work, and am still playing with how it looks. I was going for a Photoshop CC look here (I took the colours directly from a screen grab of the PS window) but not sure I like it. It needs to be fairly dark otherwise the 'badge' images can't be seen.

:)

This looks awesome. Very good work here. You should talk to the creator of Content manager and see if you can incorporate it into the software.

Another edition of "How I spent my Sunday"

Attempting to make GT40 tires great again...or at least a little better...

the original:
kunos_gt40_tire.jpg

Not horrible but a bit bland/flat to my eyes.

the contenders:
new_gt40_weenies.jpg

Firestone Indy has its origins in the Kunos default with a little massaging. Goodyear Blue Streak (with and w/o the streak) based on a great photo scrounged from the web with added bits and the Dunlop M section is done completely with fonts, save the Dunlop logo.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands...

Love the last one! (bottom, right) :thumbsup:

A bit partial to the Dunlops as well...

The more I look at it, the more I think the "GOODYEAR" lettering is a little too large for a vintage tire. I'm starting to think it looks a more contemporary racing tire and would match up well with a set of fat stenciled Avons, but maybe it looks a little out of place with the other two. Or maybe not, hard to say...

goody_blue_ex.jpg

The photo I found was gold in terms of raw texture making materials; clear, high res, head on no perspective shot, even lighting and good contrast...but it doesn't lend itself well to scaling the character size while attempting to adjust the radius of the logo arc to suit.

I'm somewhat limited in what I can do given the tire textures are shared between the fronts and rears, so it has to be a compromise and work for both.

Last edited:
Just experimenting with some different modeling. Have tossed around the idea of building a few Trans Ams for AC starting with my personal car. No guarantees or promises just messing around when not working on tracks.

wheel1.JPG

wheel2.JPG

My car has 17x9 aftermarket snowflakes. Basically the 15x8s blown up so they look stock.
17x9.jpg

I'm so lucky to to have gotten a recent beta of Feldbegring from David with the 3D grass already added to the whole track, and all I can tell you is this:
As gorgeous as the screenshots may look, they don't do this track justice.
Thanks to the rich, undulating, and forested countryside of the Obertaunus in Hessen, Germany, where the Feldberging is embedded in, and the level of detail David is striving for, this, hands down, will be the most beautiful track in Assetto Corsa, and driving around it is absolutely mesmerizing and addictive.

Haha, I wouldn't go that far! Thank you very much for the kind words, but i am very aware that this track won't be for everyone. It's not a circuit in the traditional sense of the word; certainly not like any modern circuit. But I think that's what I find so appealing about long-forgotten tracks.

I am having a great time working on it, which is the most important thing for me - if anyone else enjoys it too, then that's an added bonus.

I finally got round to finishing off the flower bed at one of the Gasthausen, now I know how much space I have left on my grasses texture. It's only a screenshot from the editor, but you get the idea:

IKBc2Op.jpg

Haha, I wouldn't go that far! Thank you very much for the kind words, but i am very aware that this track won't be for everyone. It's not a circuit in the traditional sense of the word; certainly not like any modern circuit. But I think that's what I find so appealing about long-forgotten tracks.

I am having a great time working on it, which is the most important thing for me - if anyone else enjoys it too, then that's an added bonus.

I finally got round to finishing off the flower bed at one of the Gasthausen, now I know how much space I have left on my grasses texture. It's only a screenshot from the editor, but you get the idea:

IKBc2Op.jpg

Shots like this almost make me want to bust out the lederhosen and start slapping ankles...

Seriously, absolutely aces. It's definitely important that you be enjoying the activity but I think I can speak for everyone here in saying, in your specific case, that simple fact clearly translates to some exceptional work of which all of us can reap the benefits, both in images now and experience at a later date.

IKBc2Op.jpg
I think it works very well as a circuit for classic race cars. Especially the 250F. This track and Deutschlandring are the best 2 circuits for that car!

Each screenshot you post inspires me with my own track making efforts and motivates me to achieve even a slight percentage of what you have. :D

That's very kind of you, @millen :)

As I've said before, I'm always more than happy to help you with your project, whether that's models, textures or advice. You have already done the hard part though, making a track with an awesome layout. The pretty stuff is the easy part :thumbsup:

I am no expert at all, but I have learned so much from these forums, and other users - if there's any way I can give back a fraction of what was given to me then I'd be a happy man :)

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 51 36.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 84 59.6%