Some wip projects

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
battle1989.jpg

ok. wow. well done. Improvements.
yes, at least car shadows have that disturbing effect.

so whatever values to scale just tell me and I will adjust the shader or the scaling. No problem.

The thing that I learn about the number of objetcs of anything is the less they are, the better.
So, as receiver, the grass, sand, kerbs, track, etc. should be only 1 object (well.. once finished, as while I work them they are "splitted") and so on.. could that help?
it really improves FPS

and you were right about trees. When you suggested that if ALL were just a single object, the shadows were not going to overlapp. And it worked!

Didn't plan to do this now, but had to use 3dsimed3 now when I have the test period active (might buy it later, but more familiar with 3dsimed2 and therefore prefer it, and have payed for it...)
Knockhill also getting updated textures with some AO shading, some updated normals, a few other updated textures etc. Also removing many object shadows, as using a lot of them makes them flickering.

4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg

Track pack is updated now.
Really nice AO on Oulton pit building here. The 3dSimed3 test period is over now, so can't export the UV mapping for AO back to the game for the moment. Will probably try to finish the ST car update next, we will see.
Do someone else want to continue the conversion of the group A cars? I have too many projects :roflmao:
I have done much of the work, but the hardest things to finish are often the last details/fixes.

1684355418407.png

Do someone else want to continue the conversion of the group A cars? I have too many projects :roflmao:
I want to, but unsure if I can. :roflmao: I'd love to see that conversion come to fruition, but I severely lack skills in physics editing and have literally zero experience with 3DSimEd. I assume this means the job is for someone else :redface:Out of curiosiy, what remains to be done?

I want to, but unsure if I can. :roflmao: I'd love to see that conversion come to fruition, but I severely lack skills in physics editing and have literally zero experience with 3DSimEd. I assume this means the job is for someone else :redface:Out of curiosiy, what remains to be done?
I think I have to check, I don't remember exactly myself...

Status update

Released:
Super Touring Seasons

A 'halfways' release, more things (interior baked AO textures? Some updated or remodeled rims? etc.) are planned

Super Touring Track pack
Also a 'halfways' release, more things, mainly baked texture shading are planned. Oulton will probably be next.

WIP projects:
Touring car legends

STCC 2003 and ETCC 2002
* Have to balance the performance of the cars and improve the visuals slightly for a more even look. Haven't still decided what to do about car ID's, but will probably reuse ID's, maybe from BTC-T mod.
- maybe release a 'halfway' version instead of trying to fix all?

Fiesta cup 1998 (Toca 2)
* Nothing new here for the moment.

Super Touring Experience
* Nothing new here for the moment. The plan is to finish the simulator part first before adding more in race simulations.

I think I have to check, I don't remember exactly myself...
What needs to be fixed mainly:
1. Camera files (one file for all cars),
2. interior driver position (some cars),
3. exterior steering wheel,
4. car headlights (not very important)
5. Some cars (one or two?) causes CTD sometimes when loading race, not sure which yet.
6. + minor visual things

Last edited:
All cars have got exterior steering wheels now.
Also some onboard cameras improvements. The cars have a different position than other cars, so the standard cameras doesn't work well. There are so many things that could be done to make the cars look a little bit better in Race 07 (normals tweaking, adding materials, AO baking etc), but I keep this conversion as true to the original as possible for now.

3.jpg

What needs to be fixed mainly:
1. Camera files (one file for all cars),
2. interior driver position (some cars),
3. exterior steering wheel,
4. car headlights (not very important)
5. Some cars (one or two?) causes CTD sometimes when loading race, not sure which yet.
6. + minor visual things
Do the cars need talent files, or has that already been done, be it by the original modders or by you?

Last edited:
Do the cars need talent files, or has that already been done, be it by the original modders or by you?
I have made talent files, but haven't balanced them to reflect real drivers skills. The original rfactor files could not be used sadly, and they didn't have a lot of data in them to use.

One other thing: changed plans, the cars get a minor normals check, and I make some changes where it is most needed, not a complete overhaul.
Also baked ao shading are added (because it is very satisfying to see the difference when adding them). To have some control over the work I have decided that the first version will include WTCC 87 only (probably) and the the other included series will be added step by step, probably in a quite fast pace.

4.jpg

TCL conversion is getting closer to first release.
I have also worked on the shaders. Shadows code has been improved and simplified for more consistency after the changes lately. Also created one new 'master' shader that should be able to handle many different combinations of specmap, cubemap, bumpmap etc.
This was always the plan, but I had to make some compromises. Now it might be possible, except for some very special shaders (trees, water etc) that will still need their own files.

The new shader files take the PBR philosophy one step further.
It is obviously not as "real" or as advanced as PBR shaders in newer games, but should be able to simulate all combinations from
metal <-------> non metal (refmap blue color, or "blend" i 3dsimed of non refmap material)
and
rough <-------> shiny (refmap red color, or "specular power" i 3dsimed of non refmap material)

Specular light, cube reflection etc should be calculated from that and from track lights, so no impossible combinations should be possible. This is not new, but it is one step further.

The new shader is used on car body (car paint only) here:
5.jpg

The fresnel reflection (increased reflection when a surface is viewed from a greater angle) is simulated in a little bit different way now.

6.jpg

well.. my race07 seems to have DXVK.
It looks smoother and softer but washed out and cold.
I try deleting .vk files (and others) with no luck. anyway..

Really cool you still advancing on shadows. And PBR looks promissing. Ive been a lot with gtr2 AI lately.
Today I finally get all shaders stuff in order. It was messy. Surprise that now gtr2 is looking even better. The only bother now is PS20 shadows look invisible in gtr2.
here note for you:

Attachments

• for Andreas.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 41

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 132 71.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 44 23.7%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 35 18.8%