So, Who's Looking Forward to VR Coming to ACC?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update.jpg

Only 17 days to go until the new build release of Assetto Corsa Competizione, and with release 2 comes VR.... so who's excited then?

VR, or Virtual Reality, is a relatively new and increasingly popular gaming technology where a player who uses one of the various VR headsets can experience their title of choice in a more immersive three dimensional environment, placing the gamer in the car rather than watching on from a flat 2D screen as has traditionally been the case in game consumption up to this point.

Obviously an ability to feel more at one with the car as is the case with VR is a significant advantage in the quest for sim racing immersion, and as such recent months have seen an increasingly large and vocal section of our community extolling the virtues of this technological breakthrough in modern sim racing.

Now with Assetto Corsa Competizione publicly available and on the road to a fully complete release by the first quarter of 2019, it is getting ever closer to the build update that brings VR to the title, something that I'm pretty sure a fair collection of people here at RD are excited to try out for the first time.

Not only does build two come with VR compatibility for the first time, but also players will be granted access to the Bentley Continental GT3 (old version, new spec coming at V1.00) and the Misano World Circuit, plus further updates to the game itself that include new feature implementation of a "basic" pit stop, SuperPole and various ranking improvements. All very exciting stuff.

So with ACC having been out a little while now and with big updates in the works, the question is - are you excited for build 2 this October 10th?

You can check out the current release roadmap and pricing schedules HERE.
Our early pre release first impressions 'Talk n Drive' video can be viewed HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione (build 1) is available to purchase on Steam Early Access now.

Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 4.jpg
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 5.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting new sim from the makers of the hit Assetto Corsa title. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

So then, looking forward to ACC going VR, plus the new Bentley and Misano in just 17 days time? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
The new iPhone costs over $1000 now. People are playing candy crush on devices more expensive than your average sim rig. People want high resolution VR HMD and they want it to be cheap (the PC cheap too) - it is not gonna happen any time soon.

I play only rFactor 2 and pCars 2 at the moment and when i try ACC, it feels like one of the worst cars in Forza with similar input-lag like with a wheel on the XBox. Just Forza looks smooth and not like 30 fps, even ACC tells me i'm running about 80 fps. I really can't understand the hype about this game and i doubt it will be all fixed with acceptable performance in VR at this state.

U just tried every day? I have a new Lenovo Explorer sitting on my desk , i tried 5 min , barely maked to bathroom to puke and after 3 days my head still spinning :(, never touched since.
Immersion is on another level tho, u can't realize it from youtube videos, must try
I did suffer some illness with VR initially but, I can't say I know how it is for you.

There do seem to be quite a few people that have overcome VR-sickness but, I think the common pattern that is evident is that they all took their time by very gradually increasing exposure on a daily basis. It's vital to learn to recognize the first signs of the little things that can trigger VR-sickness (over-exposure) but, it's possible to overcome it with persistent short VR sessions. Be patient and determined and you have a good chance of winning in the end.

Also vitally important, are the smoothness of the game-FPS and head-tracking; if either of these are experiencing freezing, frame-drops, stuttering or hitching, it's only going to add to the challenge and make it much, much harder to accomplish. Reduce the graphics settings as needed to get smooth performance; image quality should be the least of your concerns while you're training your brain to accept virtual reality.

Also, keep your eye on the prize (goal); believe it will be worth it in the end and visualize yourself immersed in racing like never before, enjoying the virtual world in ways previously unimaginable. I believe, one of the keys to success is, believing that it is possible for you too.:)

I was lucky to never experience any sickness with VR but my understanding is that most people will struggle to some degree with it at the beginning.

The good news is that almost all overcome this very quickly if they perservere with short, regular sessions, and that the number of those who won't be able to adjust to using VR without sickness is very small.

A lot of politicians here. Question is who looking forward to VR in ACC, and all kinds who don't have VR, like VR,don't have ACC, don't like ACC want to rain on the VR parade.
Personally am looking forward not confident my PC can run it..
AC wasn't great when VR was initially added but works perfectly now, so most likely it will be a while before this game will be running at its best, so let's be patient and pause the negativity.

I was lucky to never experience any sickness with VR but my understanding is that most people will struggle to some degree with it at the beginning.

The good news is that almost all overcome this very quickly if they perservere with short, regular sessions, and that the number of those who won't be able to adjust to using VR without sickness is very small.

It's hard to come back to something that makes you ill :

The problem with motion sickness for some is that it ruins your whole day. For me for example when i get motion sickness it keeps me ill, dizzy, near puking stage until i go to bed. This makes you hesitant to do it all over again the next day. :D

I am looking forward to it and also haven't put on my HMD since ACC came out but then again life is busy. Also look forward to all other updates/hotfixes in build 2 to see what has changed especially ffb.

I understand I am one of the few that go slower when using VR .
For me the speed sensation is to low in VR compared to a screen .
There is no shaking cockpit when using VR--so to me it feels slower..

So I use VR for --wow this looks good :D.
if I wanna go fast online fore example I use my single screen.

• Deleted member 197115

Yes i can run with a full grid online, every setting maxed out and huge supersampling just fine...oh boy :rolleyes:

Can you please post your full spec, HMD, and graphics settings in AC and SteamVR or Oculus, whatever you use, size of the gird as well. Thx.
Really want to know what secret sauce you use
Hope we are not talking about going into ASW, or reprojection most of the times.
@Celestiale, if you find time to gather this info, can you please post it here, was quite a struggle for the rest of us to make it run the way you do even on very decent systems.
Thanks in advance.

Looking forward to the new features, I'll try VR but for me the comfort ruins the experience, it irritates my face and with every sim game I've tried so far, everything further than 10 meters is just too pixelated for me to make out anything. This is my VR experience though, I will try another face cushion for hopefully improved comfort but I'm not sure the clarity can be improved much
My karting track allowed me to keep my used balaclavas. I washed and use them for myself, as well as any guests wanting to try my Rift.

I'm not looking forward to the Bentley. It's an apartment and has it's own address!
Another track? Ok. Sure. I'm mostly looking forward to the graphics issues being fixed/smoothed/improved framerate and overall game becoming more complete.

@Celestiale, if you find time to gather this info, can you please post it here, was quite a struggle for the rest of us to make it run the way you do even on very decent systems.
Thanks in advance.
Yeah i read your question, i just didn't have the time to answer yet.

I have ingame everything maxed out bar the mirrors, and i use the Oculus mode with SS 1.3 in the Tray Tool.
Specs: Evga 1080 (not overclocked), I7 8700k with Turboboost at 4.7 GhZ and 1.35V core, 16GB DDR4 from Ballistix (but not the very expensive ones), the rest is not relevant i'd say..maybe apart from a huge tower-cooler for my processor. It still reaches 90°C in simulations, but i am fine with that.

Having a constant 90FPS in AC, unless i use too many AI. Bottleneck in all sims (also flight, space..) is always the processor. Multiplayer performance obviously way better then singleplayer, no matter which Sim.

That said, those magic 90 FPS are not relevant to me. They might be very important for the first few month when getting used to VR to keep the motion sickness down, but after that it's really not that important. In other sims (R3E, Pcars2), i have around 60 FPS (without ASW or similar being active) and i am not bothered in the slightest. I like crisp graphics in VR more then 90 over 60 fps. This doesn't make a huge difference for me anymore.

That's why i am certain, that the 2080Ti (double performance compared to 1080 in 4k res) is enough for the Pimax 5k+ and even better picture in VR.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.