So, Who's Looking Forward to VR Coming to ACC?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update.jpg

Only 17 days to go until the new build release of Assetto Corsa Competizione, and with release 2 comes VR.... so who's excited then?

VR, or Virtual Reality, is a relatively new and increasingly popular gaming technology where a player who uses one of the various VR headsets can experience their title of choice in a more immersive three dimensional environment, placing the gamer in the car rather than watching on from a flat 2D screen as has traditionally been the case in game consumption up to this point.

Obviously an ability to feel more at one with the car as is the case with VR is a significant advantage in the quest for sim racing immersion, and as such recent months have seen an increasingly large and vocal section of our community extolling the virtues of this technological breakthrough in modern sim racing.

Now with Assetto Corsa Competizione publicly available and on the road to a fully complete release by the first quarter of 2019, it is getting ever closer to the build update that brings VR to the title, something that I'm pretty sure a fair collection of people here at RD are excited to try out for the first time.

Not only does build two come with VR compatibility for the first time, but also players will be granted access to the Bentley Continental GT3 (old version, new spec coming at V1.00) and the Misano World Circuit, plus further updates to the game itself that include new feature implementation of a "basic" pit stop, SuperPole and various ranking improvements. All very exciting stuff.

So with ACC having been out a little while now and with big updates in the works, the question is - are you excited for build 2 this October 10th?

You can check out the current release roadmap and pricing schedules HERE.
Our early pre release first impressions 'Talk n Drive' video can be viewed HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione (build 1) is available to purchase on Steam Early Access now.

Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 4.jpg
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 5.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting new sim from the makers of the hit Assetto Corsa title. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

So then, looking forward to ACC going VR, plus the new Bentley and Misano in just 17 days time? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward the second build for the new content and features, but unfortunately no VR for me... I tried my friend's Oculus but I'm very prone to motion sickness, unfortunately
You may need to get used to it and to avoid bad habits. I was really sick the first 2 VR sessions when I've started using my Oculus (I insisted a lot, while feeling bad I kept on driving lol), and I was planning to refund it, really disappointed. But I just train a bit more, and unexpectedly I got rid of the motion sickness. I don't know whether it was because I had made 2 horrible racing sessions before but I really started to enjoy the VR experience. I also understood that you have to avoid moving your head, watching everywhere (something you do immediately when you discover VR) ; you have to let your eyes do the job 95% of the time with a slight move of your head, it becomes natural very quickly ; the extra 5% when you have to move your head is not a problem when you're used to VR. So maybe you need to try again at your friend's but just a few minutes each time. Or buy an Oculus at a shop you can refund it.

Last edited:
I tried AC in VR at Silverstone recently. I loved the VR effect although I think the tech still needs work overall. What I wasn’t keen on was the motion rig. It just didn’t do anything for me and I just felt that it hindered me rather than helped.

I've tried a triple setup at my local karting track.
I own trackIR...have for years. It's still great...actually the best for flight sims even now.
Nothing...and I mean nothing, has added to simracing immersion like VR.
I run an old 3.6 GHz processor from 2011 with a GTX1070...so not cutting edge by any means... with all settings at epic and motion blur turned off. PPE at 1.5. ACC runs extremely smooth...even in an extremely early release.
The software usually gets better...not worst. That's the whole point of EA...to optimize things.
I don't even see screen-door effect anymore.
The human brain can and does compensate very well.
You are kidding yourself if you think VR does nothing for simracing...even in its current state.
If you don't own VR because of nausea, motion-sickness or simply because it's not yet affordable, that's one thing.
Outside of those things, if you are experiencing fatigue after a few laps, you need to examine how your HMD is fitted.

most ppl get motion sickness to start with, but your brain is fantastic at adapting, just takes a little time
The problem with motion sickness for some is that it ruins your whole day. For me for example when i get motion sickness it keeps me ill, dizzy, near puking stage until i go to bed. This makes you hesitant to do it all over again the next day. :D

I bought that game instantly, although i got problems atm with my rift. So, i knew i wouldn´t drive it, until these problems are sorted out. Therefore i didn´t even know, that VR isn´t even implemented yet. That´s good news, i didn´t miss anyting till now.

You are all optimistic guys. The VR implementation does not make driving physics any better at ACC. I am no longer interested in participating in this hype
But, nobody has ever claimed that VR makes the driving physics better??

I can't wait for VR, I basically haven't played the game yet. I fired it up on my single screen with an xbox controller and I just didn't see the point. Very optimistic about being able to run ACC VR.

I am not interested, even if I am convinced that VR is probably the future of simracing.
But we are living in the present, and I am personally not ready to wear such a big helmet and move my head in all direction like a doom.
Everytime I have the opportunity to see people wearing such helmet, I can not resist to laugh seing them moving all around.

I am not ready. Let's wait in some years when the helemt will become glasses, and the PC will be a lot more powerful as now.

I get laughed at lots when I use my Rift at home...and to be fair I do look totally ridiculous using it! But it is more than worth it for the incredible immersion and the improvement to my driving skills the greater situational awareness brings.

Yes, I am looking forward to better graphical clarity in the future, but already the visuals are more than good enough for me.

I have said before that VR was such an immediate game-changer for me that Automobilista went instantly from being my favourite sim to being barely used.

I know many people are sceptical about the virtues of VR, but all I can say is just give it a chance and you may be pleasantly surprised.

As for ACC - looking forward to VR and hoping it runs ok on my GTX 970!

It does take a few weeks to get rid of the sickness...it have needed over 5-6 weeks to get rid of it at all and now i can race even long races without any sickness...

BTW i am in in the club of people who wait for VR support of ACC.

U just tried every day? I have a new Lenovo Explorer sitting on my desk , i tried 5 min , barely maked to bathroom to puke and after 3 days my head still spinning :(, never touched since.
Immersion is on another level tho, u can't realize it from youtube videos, must try

I can't understand people moaning about the performance needed for VR. It's really not that resource-heavy as everybody tries to make it. We are not in 2015 anymore. Everybody who can afford propper sim racing gear (probably >90% of all sim racers) can also afford the PC to run VR with no problems. By now my 1080 is really not top of the ballpark anymore, but it could still run the Pimax 5k in AC/Pcars2.

It doesn't get any more ignorant and self-centered than this comment.

Yes I'm looking forward to ACC in Oculus VR, VR is still the best way to play flying, space and racing games for me. I hope the Unreal white/red glare is toned down a bit otherwise that could make the game difficult to play, that aside I'm looking forward to the extra depth and elevation perception only VR can offer.

Having seen the specs for the 2080/Ti I'm pleased the the 1080Ti holds up well and I won't need to make that upgrade just yet.

I'm really looking forward to trying the racing games out with this too.

I've always wanted a motion rig but either the price, space required or low price and limited features put me off. At £2k I've decided it's worth giving it a go.

After some initial faults with the test units the Pimax HMDs seem to be getting some good reviews I think? Wide FOV and higher resolution etc. Any problems are being ironed out with regular updates. Still not perfect but a definite step up from the current HMDs.
Trawling through the comments here I see the same people, always moaning about VR, only offering negativity. I think for most of them it's just cognitive dissonance, they're unable to process new info and move on. Stagnant whiney little flat-screeners. Yes there's still a compromise with the resolution, but that's improving all the time. To see the true apex, elevation changes, real sense of scale and depth of field etc.. To be *in* the car, looking around instead of just 'seeing a picture of it' - it's a no-brainer. VR is here and it's amazing *now*.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies