So, Who's Looking Forward to VR Coming to ACC?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update.jpg

Only 17 days to go until the new build release of Assetto Corsa Competizione, and with release 2 comes VR.... so who's excited then?

VR, or Virtual Reality, is a relatively new and increasingly popular gaming technology where a player who uses one of the various VR headsets can experience their title of choice in a more immersive three dimensional environment, placing the gamer in the car rather than watching on from a flat 2D screen as has traditionally been the case in game consumption up to this point.

Obviously an ability to feel more at one with the car as is the case with VR is a significant advantage in the quest for sim racing immersion, and as such recent months have seen an increasingly large and vocal section of our community extolling the virtues of this technological breakthrough in modern sim racing.

Now with Assetto Corsa Competizione publicly available and on the road to a fully complete release by the first quarter of 2019, it is getting ever closer to the build update that brings VR to the title, something that I'm pretty sure a fair collection of people here at RD are excited to try out for the first time.

Not only does build two come with VR compatibility for the first time, but also players will be granted access to the Bentley Continental GT3 (old version, new spec coming at V1.00) and the Misano World Circuit, plus further updates to the game itself that include new feature implementation of a "basic" pit stop, SuperPole and various ranking improvements. All very exciting stuff.

So with ACC having been out a little while now and with big updates in the works, the question is - are you excited for build 2 this October 10th?

You can check out the current release roadmap and pricing schedules HERE.
Our early pre release first impressions 'Talk n Drive' video can be viewed HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione (build 1) is available to purchase on Steam Early Access now.

Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 4.jpg
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 5.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting new sim from the makers of the hit Assetto Corsa title. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

So then, looking forward to ACC going VR, plus the new Bentley and Misano in just 17 days time? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Although I was initially very excited with the first release of ACC, checking out all the "stuff" in game, seeing what the UE4 is like etc. I soon became increasingly frustrated at racing on a Flat Screen, the loss of immersion at the start was quite incredible, how did I ever manage it before VR?

I did however persist for a few days until eventually I returned to RF2 & VR, since then I've not gone back nor will go back to ACC until the VR release. I just cannot race on a flat screen any more, I find it a horrendously horrible experience that is akin to watching Chrystal Palarse attempt to play football....simply dreadful!

I am of course looking forward to seeing how my PC fares with UE4 in VR, with plenty of AI and Rain effects in the mix. I do fear slightly for my GTX970 & i5-3750k but I'm determined not to upgrade until Oculus pull their fingers out their collective backsides and announce the CV2...even though that is increasingly less likely to happen which is another fear for another day. But alas Kunos worked wonders with AC VR, it's very smooth and arguably one of the best VR experiences to be had in the Sim Racing World we all live in (thankfully not a Flat world at that...).

In closing I found the initial ACC experience on a Flat Screen a bit like going from a Controller to a Wheel/Pedals setup...you simply cannot go back and be damned if you try!

Whos looking forward to upgrading there pc to run it in vr?
I did it step by step ( if you have the patience, you can buy the pc components for a reasonable price) i have it since 2 weeks and can tell you it is awesome. Totally different and I can advise everybody ( if you have the oppurtunity offcourse) to buy it.

I'm really looking forward to VR, if for no other reason than to have a better view out the windshield.
That 'A' pillar coupled with the width of the roll-cage, represents a massive blind-spot from the seated position.

Most definitely looking forward to this.
That quick flick or glance to check you're clear to pull in or just stretch up to see over the bump in the track.....
even with bound keys it's not as fast or intuitive

I can't understand people moaning about the performance needed for VR. It's really not that resource-heavy as everybody tries to make it. We are not in 2015 anymore. Everybody who can afford propper sim racing gear (probably >90% of all sim racers) can also afford the PC to run VR with no problems. By now my 1080 is really not top of the ballpark anymore, but it could still run the Pimax 5k in AC/Pcars2.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 120 27.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.8%
  • €3001-5000