So, Who's Looking Forward to VR Coming to ACC?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update.jpg

Only 17 days to go until the new build release of Assetto Corsa Competizione, and with release 2 comes VR.... so who's excited then?

VR, or Virtual Reality, is a relatively new and increasingly popular gaming technology where a player who uses one of the various VR headsets can experience their title of choice in a more immersive three dimensional environment, placing the gamer in the car rather than watching on from a flat 2D screen as has traditionally been the case in game consumption up to this point.

Obviously an ability to feel more at one with the car as is the case with VR is a significant advantage in the quest for sim racing immersion, and as such recent months have seen an increasingly large and vocal section of our community extolling the virtues of this technological breakthrough in modern sim racing.

Now with Assetto Corsa Competizione publicly available and on the road to a fully complete release by the first quarter of 2019, it is getting ever closer to the build update that brings VR to the title, something that I'm pretty sure a fair collection of people here at RD are excited to try out for the first time.

Not only does build two come with VR compatibility for the first time, but also players will be granted access to the Bentley Continental GT3 (old version, new spec coming at V1.00) and the Misano World Circuit, plus further updates to the game itself that include new feature implementation of a "basic" pit stop, SuperPole and various ranking improvements. All very exciting stuff.

So with ACC having been out a little while now and with big updates in the works, the question is - are you excited for build 2 this October 10th?

You can check out the current release roadmap and pricing schedules HERE.
Our early pre release first impressions 'Talk n Drive' video can be viewed HERE.

Assetto Corsa Competizione (build 1) is available to purchase on Steam Early Access now.

Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 4.jpg
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Competizione VR update 5.jpg

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting new sim from the makers of the hit Assetto Corsa title. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

So then, looking forward to ACC going VR, plus the new Bentley and Misano in just 17 days time? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Yeah i read your question, i just didn't have the time to answer yet.

I have ingame everything maxed out bar the mirrors, and i use the Oculus mode with SS 1.3 in the Tray Tool.
Specs: Evga 1080 (not overclocked), I7 8700k with Turboboost at 4.7 GhZ and 1.35V core, 16GB DDR4 from Ballistix (but not the very expensive ones), the rest is not relevant i'd say..maybe apart from a huge tower-cooler for my processor. It still reaches 90°C in simulations, but i am fine with that.

Having a constant 90FPS in AC, unless i use too many AI. Bottleneck in all sims (also flight, space..) is always the processor. Multiplayer performance obviously way better then singleplayer, no matter which Sim.

That said, those magic 90 FPS are not relevant to me. They might be very important for the first few month when getting used to VR to keep the motion sickness down, but after that it's really not that important. In other sims (R3E, Pcars2), i have around 60 FPS (without ASW or similar being active) and i am not bothered in the slightest. I like crisp graphics in VR more then 90 over 60 fps. This doesn't make a huge difference for me anymore.

That's why i am certain, that the 2080Ti (double performance compared to 1080 in 4k res) is enough for the Pimax 5k+ and even better picture in VR.
AI is a bitch, for sure, but so should be opponents cars in MP, it's a rendering thread that becomes bottleneck first, not physics calcs. Amazing that you can use mirrors, reflections, smoke, shadows, world details and PP all at max and can still do 90fps full (24 cars) grid.
My system can handle around 15 cars easily at 90 but need to sacrifice some settings (world details, shadows, mirrors, reflections), everything that tasking CPU. And of course HUD apps, they just eat FPS alive due to font rendering implementation. x4fab was trying to fix that with his shaders but they add significant CPU overhead in other areas.
My settings, this is on Samsung Odyssey.
Slight loss of sharpness with rerpojection (SteamVR version of ASW) is quite noticeable on higher resolution HMDs and I am trying to avoid it at all cost.
Can't wait for i9-9900K to be released, that beast should help with CPU load, I hope.
2080 benchmarks have been quite disappointing, it actually performed worse in AC benchmark than 1080Ti, from 145 down to 122fps, released 2080Ti benchmarks while look a little bit better are far away from stunning to justify enormous price hike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might require pretty beefy computer to run. Think the game could use some optimizing.

Apparently even 8700k and 1080 ti isn't enough to run ACC maxed on triple screen (without supersampling of course, just by using TAA), without drops under 60 fps. And VR is more demanding than triples.

Compared to for example F1 2018 and Forza 4 demo, that both look pretty great and run well on triples with same setup. In F1 2018 you can max out the graphics on triples, without drops under 60 fps, in Forza 4 pretty close to maxed. In ACC, when rain and night comes, you can forget it. And slight drops under 60 fps in daytime too

Dunno if it's just inherent to UE4, or if any further optimizations are even possible

• Deleted member 197115

And that is area of a great concern at the moment.
I don't buy that "update your potato" argument, update to what?

And that is area of a great concern at the moment.
I don't buy that "update your potato" argument, update to what?
Yup I got recently my new PC, with mentioned specs. In big part with ACC in mind, but other triple screen (sim) gaming too of course

Can't run ACC on triples nowhere near maxed, haven't really found settings I would be happy with. Tbh a bit disappointed. Hope they could optimize it further

But good thing I can run AC1 now with custom shaders, night lights and everything. I was surprised that F1 2018 didn't actually suck, thought I will refund again. Solid 60 fps, everything maxed. With much sharper AA than ACC can give (SSAA is out of the question on triples).

Wreckfest also 60 fps maxed, as long as you don't go crazy with MSAA (4x runs fine).

In ACC, to keep 60 fps in all conditions (setting them for daytime only is kinda pointless) you have to drop the settings down quite a bit. Maybe less of an issue on VR, since the distance you see is shorter

Maybe related to the dynamic lighting and 3D-everything, pCars 2 doesn't also run that great. I tried ACC with a single screen and pushed the resolution scale up, it looks amazing but I can't go back to single screen anymore

Last edited:
I can't understand people moaning about the performance needed for VR. It's really not that resource-heavy as everybody tries to make it. We are not in 2015 anymore. Everybody who can afford propper sim racing gear (probably >90% of all sim racers) can also afford the PC to run VR with no problems. By now my 1080 is really not top of the ballpark anymore, but it could still run the Pimax 5k in AC/Pcars2.
Speak for yourself. :cool:

I play only rFactor 2 and pCars 2 at the moment and when i try ACC, it feels like one of the worst cars in Forza with similar input-lag like with a wheel on the XBox. Just Forza looks smooth and not like 30 fps, even ACC tells me i'm running about 80 fps. I really can't understand the hype about this game and i doubt it will be all fixed with acceptable performance in VR at this state.

Yeah, the same went here with pc2 - it was a pile of **** when it comes to the implementation of controls. After the 10th. update or so I was bloody pissed of and I deinstalled that shitty "besta ewa sim". Hope Kunos gets the corner entry soon ...

Cheers

Where did you read this ? I read that is 50 % not 100 % ????
https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti,3334847,seite7.html
almost double from 1080 to 2080ti in most 4k Benchmarks

AI is a bitch, for sure, but so should be opponents cars in MP, it's a rendering thread that becomes bottleneck first, not physics calcs. Amazing that you can use mirrors, reflections, smoke, shadows, world details and PP all at max and can still do 90fps full (24 cars) grid.
My system can handle around 15 cars easily at 90 but need to sacrifice some settings (world details, shadows, mirrors, reflections), everything that tasking CPU. And of course HUD apps, they just eat FPS alive due to font rendering implementation. x4fab was trying to fix that with his shaders but they add significant CPU overhead in other areas.
My settings, this is on Samsung Odyssey.
Slight loss of sharpness with rerpojection (SteamVR version of ASW) is quite noticeable on higher resolution HMDs and I am trying to avoid it at all cost.
Can't wait for i9-9900K to be released, that beast should help with CPU load, I hope.
2080 benchmarks have been quite disappointing, it actually performed worse in AC benchmark than 1080Ti, from 145 down to 122fps, released 2080Ti benchmarks while look a little bit better are far away from stunning to justify enormous price hike.
Jep, but for me AI is a lot harder on FPS then multiplayer opponents. Like i said, i have my mirrors not maxed out. And i have a PP filter especially made for VR, a lot easier on performance then other ones (but not worse looking in VR). 15 AI is probably max in AC for me to not fall below 90fps as well. I only use Helicorsa, no other HUD app.
And well, the 2080ti benchmarks, i just posted them above. Around 88% better then 1080 in 4k res. I'll probably get one together with the Pimax 5k+ next summer, when the current early adopter price has fallen a bit (and we'll hopefully have no second mining boom, which i doubt)

• Deleted member 197115

Unless you are NVidia spokesman :), Ti should be compared to Ti.
And it looks like comparing to 1080Ti it's

Assassin Creed: 42%
PCars2: 28%
Warhammer: 35%
Witcher3 : 35%

From the posted review:
In a direct comparison of the competing models, the RTX 2080 Ti is between 14 and 38 percent faster than a GTX 1080 Ti. Meanwhile, the RTX 2080 keeps the GTX 1080 at a distance of at least 31 percent in Full HD and up to 42 percent in WQHD and UHD grows.

The problem with motion sickness for some is that it ruins your whole day. For me for example when i get motion sickness it keeps me ill, dizzy, near puking stage until i go to bed. This makes you hesitant to do it all over again the next day. :D
I just started using VR in AC and Race Room in the last 10 days. The first time I tried it I got nauseated after 2 laps. I researched and saw a You Tube video Dan DiMaggio recommending that when starting VR to only race a few laps and build up gradually....to stop BEFORE the nausea starts. I have been doing that and up to about 13 laps without nausea. I think this approach is working.

It will look just like AC once you turn the settings down enough to get it to work!!!!!!!!! I LOVE VR, but we need a technological leap in GPU and HMDs to get this game running and looking good and not looking blurry as all hell! I dont even get 90FPS on my monitor on a 980ti.

I run a 980Ti and can run up to 20 cars in VR whilst maintaining 90FPS in AC. This does depend on the cars and track combo, but it is possible with most Kunos cars and tracks. Mod cars and tracks might be less optimised as some can struggle. The card is over clocked though as much as I could go without using any special coolers. Also using an i7 4770K running at 4.3Ghz with a larger cooler.

I have the following settings that I can remember but I can’t get to my PC until Saturday to give full info.

All the Nvidia settings are set to which ever setting claims to give the best performance in the Nvidia control panel. Also running Oculus at 1.3 pixel override. There is a MIP LOD BIAS slider in Content Manager that I have set to -1. Those settings seem to give me a nice sharp picture. I also run the game at 1280x720 to reduce some load. It also makes the apps easier to read. Then I edited the Oculus ini file to not mirror the image to the screen (at least I think it was that one). That reduces more load. The reflections are set as low as they could go before I could see obvious reflection stuttering in game. Also smoke is set to minimum. I have post processing switched on for more realistic colours, but all post processing sliders are set to minimum. I can run with track detail at maximum and mirrors at maximum. The mirrors reflection slider is set to maximum in Content Manager as I don’t like seeing track detail disappearing when I’m looking in the mirror.

Last thing. I have had to reduce the amount of AI cars in the last couple of weeks as I now use the lights and textures mod that adds real mirrors. I can run up to 15 cars but it can be as low as 12 to maintain 90FPS. I needed to edit the related mirror config file to run at half refresh rate and to only calculate mirrors that are visible. The car and driver helmet are also set to visible.

Hope this helps. If you have a better CPU than me. Hopefully you can do better.

Also you was probably saying you could barely get 90FPS in ACC I think. So this post was probably a waste of time. But I’ll leave it here in case it gives someone any advice.

Last edited:
It might be, if ACC will support it. But would kind of suck, if getting 2000-series card is the only way to get decent AA, and it won't be possible with 1080 ti.

The current TAA in ACC is pretty terrible blurry mess (with ghosting), and FXAA is basically work of Satan

Never thought ACC will support it
My hope is for the next title and that it is a success then other sim developers take notice

Still sounds easier to me if all developers collaborated and used same engine and physics :alien:

VR is not a blurry mess, it is well known that a high end PC can run it very well, 90FPS with supersampling to crisp it up, if you trying to run it with a S*** GPU then of course it's going to be a disaster.

Not true!
VR is blurry in any machine available. Blurryness has nothing to do with frame rates.
What people see in VR is best described as sticking your face against a old CRT TV screen and enjoying PS2 graphics!

It has immersion but lacks image quality compared to any old LCD monitor.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.